Restaurants For Lunch

michaeleds

I know that we really don't have time to see everything that we want to see so we've decided to pick two or three sites and really taking it all in and spend a little time enjoying the local cuisine.

Any suggestions for places to eat that are really good, doesn't have to be expensive, and we are open to places off the beaten path, but at the same time it can be on the "beaten path".

I'm interested in restaurants in Rome, Florence, Nice and Toulon. We already have a place on the Amalfi coast.

I know in Rome we want to see parts of the Vatican... maybe skip Sisteen Chapel and Museum. We'd like to see the Trevi Fountain as well as the Colosseum. Maybe some suggestions around the "Must Sees" Hope this makes since...

There are a lot of little cafes right around the Trevi Fountain and down the street. We just picked one and ate there... authentic Italian and it was great!

With the exception of the Vatican (unless you only want to see St. Peter's Basilica) we did ALL the sites in Rome in less than a day including Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, Piazza del Popolo, etc. The sites are very walkable and easy to see.

I can't give you one specific restaurant to try, but will give you some tips that served me well in Italy.

1. Any restaurant with someone outside trying to draw you in is going to be Americanized Italian food.

2. Watch the locals. Go where they go. Even ask shop owners and business people nearby what they reccommend. If there is no one speaking English in the restaurant, it is probably a good bet.

3. Try to get further away from the major attractions, even just a street or two and you will find MUCH better prices.

4. Don't try to order wine by brand, just go with the house wine. You won't be sorry (flavor and price always impressed).

Old Bridge Gelato near the entrance to the Vatican was fantastic, but all gelato places deserve a shot.

Antonio al Pantheon was our absolute FAVORITE restaurant in Rome. It is down an alley near the Pantheon. It is very "Italian" looking and set back in a little nook. You know its authentic when you open the door and there is a roasted pig sitting on the first table! This is my only reccommendation, but if you look for authentic food, you'll find plenty of these places.

We have enjoyed a cafe adjacent to the Spanish Steps on several visits; if you are facing the steps, it's around to the right and kind of behind them if that makes sense. I had a wonderful pasta dish and a fantastic orange/gelato dessert that I still think about.

Took some doing but I found the name: Ristorante alla Rampa. Lots of locals/businessmen there, even though it's in a touristy area. It is kind of out of the way but we love it! Just thinking about me makes me want to go back so badly!

I know that we really don't have time to see everything that we want to see so we've decided to pick two or three sites and really taking it all in and spend a little time enjoying the local cuisine.

Any suggestions for places to eat that are really good, doesn't have to be expensive, and we are open to places off the beaten path, but at the same time it can be on the "beaten path".

I'm interested in restaurants in Rome, Florence, Nice and Toulon. We already have a place on the Amalfi coast.

I know in Rome we want to see parts of the Vatican... maybe skip Sisteen Chapel and Museum. We'd like to see the Trevi Fountain as well as the Colosseum. Maybe some suggestions around the "Must Sees" Hope this makes since...

In Florence we can srtrongly recommend Cibrio for excellent Tuscan fare.

I can't give you one specific restaurant to try, but will give you some tips that served me well in Italy.

1. Any restaurant with someone outside trying to draw you in is going to be Americanized Italian food.

2. Watch the locals. Go where they go. Even ask shop owners and business people nearby what they reccommend. If there is no one speaking English in the restaurant, it is probably a good bet.

3. Try to get further away from the major attractions, even just a street or two and you will find MUCH better prices.

4. Don't try to order wine by brand, just go with the house wine. You won't be sorry (flavor and price always impressed).

Old Bridge Gelato near the entrance to the Vatican was fantastic, but all gelato places deserve a shot.

Antonio al Pantheon was our absolute FAVORITE restaurant in Rome. It is down an alley near the Pantheon. It is very "Italian" looking and set back in a little nook. You know its authentic when you open the door and there is a roasted pig sitting on the first table! This is my only reccommendation, but if you look for authentic food, you'll find plenty of these places.

Travelteacher, that's very good advice. I would also encourage people to avoid restaurants with pictures of the food displayed outside.

And the words that I've bolded are definitely words to live by:p

Lisa

In Rome, if you are in the area of The Pantheon, stop by Tazza d'Oro Coffee shop for a tasty coffee granita. It sure hits the spot on a hot day!! It's pretty touristed, but neighborhood locals still get their cafe fix there.

I'll second the recs about going a little off the tourist track to find a restaurant. Also, avoid the ones that say "tourist menu". I'll agree about just ordering the house red or white. I had some pretty darn good ones in my trip in May. You might want to stop at a "bar" (they are not like a North American bar) and just get one of the fantastic panini offerings. Oh - it's panino for one sandwich, panini for more than one....

Well, this one's not off the beaten path, but we really enjoyed it.

The Di Rienzo in the Piazza della Rotunda (Pantheon piazza) was a treat for us. We sat outside where you can people watch. We actually ate there twice :rolleyes: and I had caprese and crepes one time..... next time I just ordered the caprese and a bread side (it had cheese melted on top with an anchovy melted into that). Paired with a bottle of Proseco - it was a perfect lighter meal.

There is also a great pizza place behind the Pantheon (to the right when you are standing face on) where we were the only ones speaking English. Nothing fancy - but g-o-o-d pizza !

In Florence, we ate at the Golden View Open Bar, overlooking the Ponte Vecchio. Nice views, good food, air-conditioned, great restrooms. Our tour driver took us there and we had a lovely lunch.

Archived