Off Oasis - My Short Day-By-Day Review (June 5th Sailing)

The bar near the airport? It's still there! We didn't get to stop by for more than a couple minutes. We had 2 hours until the ship left and had to get behind a plane as quickly as we could ;). Enjoy your cruise!

Great review! We were on the ship last week and I can add a couple of comments.

Whipeout Cafe offered assorted things.. Tacos, Pretzel Dogs, Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Chili, Fries. Its a small venue but has a lot of classic food. Personally i think the Pretzel Dogs were the best i've ever tasted anywhere.

The food in Chops was great, service was good as well. We had one problem with an appetizer, we asked the waiter if it was good and he said no (which we respected him very much for doing) against his judgement i ordered it and it was terrible. Thinly cut Lobster on a plate? Clearly meant for people with other tastes. The Filet was good, and was full of flavor. Other family members who ordered the NY Strip said it was good as well.

I did try the famous roast beef sandwich ;). It was amazing, one of the best i've ever had. Eating it under one of the crystal canopies in big chairs in the park was great by itself.

Wipeout also had pizza and the frozen yogurt/soft serve ice cream.

Totally agree with you about Chops and the roast beef sandwich (and other offerings at Park Cafe).

Yes, we did go to the Comedy Show. We didn't go to a stand-up show but we did go to the Improv show called "Throw Me A Line!" which is almost exactly like "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" Some parts were a little dull, but that can happen with improv. For the most part it was funny and i'd see it again. I heard the stand-up was great and reservations weren't really necessary, just show up 10 minutes early. (If you want a guaranteed seat, get the reservations, of course.)

By the way, that username's hilarious!

We saw the other comedy show and enjoyed it. It was short and sweet and like any local comedy club, but the humor was cruise-centered. Also, we had reservations for the 10:30 show and there was a standby waiting line. Some people did not get in. The venue is very small.

This is true. And im not surprised they went away from it either. During the day there's usually events going on (Belly Flop competition, Sexy Legs competition) and also scuba lessons took place in the Aquatheater. Which i think is amazing. A huge 18 foot deep pool for scuba lessons as opposed to the 6 feet of the sports pool on other ships. And obviously the Aqua Shows and Fountain shows happen throughout the day and into the night too.
They also practice the Oasis of Dreams show there during the day and they are rehearsing for a new comedy diving show. These rehearsals are fun to watch.

Hi Evilblah, what's the best way to go to Maho beach? I don't recall if this was part of any "official" tour by Royal Caribbean. Thanks!
We went and took a cab. We didn't leave the ship until 10:30am (planes really don't start landing until after 12pm). It was $8 per person one-way to Maho and about a 20-25 minute (beautiful and interesting) drive. The Sunset Bar and Grill is there and, while overpriced, the food is much better than expected, given it is the only option around.

The beach is beautiful itself. Watching the planes land is amazing. We saw one jet take off and the sand and people rolling down the beach. Wish I had gotten a photo of that.

On the way back, it took about 20 minutes to get a cab, but he took us right to downtown Phillipsburg for $7 per person. We shopped and explored for awhile and walked back to the ship (about 20 minutes). We were back onboard by about 2:30, with plenty of time before departure.

I highly recommend Maho Beach, and you don't need to pay for an overpriced excursion to go there.

We went and took a cab. We didn't leave the ship until 10:30am (planes really don't start landing until after 12pm). It was $8 per person one-way to Maho and about a 20-25 minute (beautiful and interesting) drive. The Sunset Bar and Grill is there and, while overpriced, the food is much better than expected, given it is the only option around.

The beach is beautiful itself. Watching the planes land is amazing. We saw one jet take off and the sand and people rolling down the beach. Wish I had gotten a photo of that.

On the way back, it took about 20 minutes to get a cab, but he took us right to downtown Phillipsburg for $7 per person. We shopped and explored for awhile and walked back to the ship (about 20 minutes). We were back onboard by about 2:30, with plenty of time before departure.

I highly recommend Maho Beach, and you don't need to pay for an overpriced excursion to go there.

How did you enjoy the cruise? Im glad the comedy diving show is in production. I thought i heard something about one when Oasis was first launched. And i agree, the cab ride was nice. If anyone wants a nice view of the airport from the ship, we passed it about 5-10 minutes after departure from the port. We were lucky enough to have a plane fly right over the ship and then saw it land from the bridge wings.

[im glad the comedy diving show is in production. I thought i heard something about one when Oasis was first launched.

yes im told the comedy dive show is called splish splash and will start next week? early July:) the divers are having fun with it.....

How did you enjoy the cruise? Im glad the comedy diving show is in production. I thought i heard something about one when Oasis was first launched. And i agree, the cab ride was nice. If anyone wants a nice view of the airport from the ship, we passed it about 5-10 minutes after departure from the port. We were lucky enough to have a plane fly right over the ship and then saw it land from the bridge wings.
We loved our cruise! I did a somewhat live report on one thread and have started a trip report on another. I will have to update it some more tonight. We had over 750 photos!

We loved our cruise! I did a somewhat live report on one thread and have started a trip report on another. I will have to update it some more tonight. We had over 750 photos!

I was following your live report throughout the week :D. I'll be sure to check out that trip report, too.

Archived