BAGS program - read if you plan to do this

3mmm

Just back from a wonderful week on the Pearl, but sadly we had to lug our bags around Seattle until our redeye flight.

NCL offers this program, they DO NOT PROMOTE it in anyway. Forty eight hours prior to the end of the cruise, I was surprised I had not heard anything about it, so I inquired and we had already missed the cutoff. They claim they sent a form to every cabin, but we did not get one. I searched all of the mountains of garbage that they put inside the Dailies - most about shopping- but did not find the BAGS paperwork. The only thing in the daily was one line on Tuesday saying that sign-up would start the next day.

We have done this on other cruise lines and loved it and only had to sign up the next to last night. On the Pearl, the deadline was Thursday for a Sunday departure.

This was one area where we really felt that the concierge let us down. One mention from him, or a deadline in the daily and we would have been all set.

I posted this just as an FYI. I do not need to be lectured about how I should have paid more attention, or inquired earlier, or taken more responsibility for myself. I am someone who reads the daily and looks at every piece of paper that was brought to my cabin. I was not happy about it, but I am not posting here to complain, I am posting this so others will not make the same mistake we made.

Can you give me some more information on how this program works? Where do your suitcases go from the time you disembark till the time your flight takes off?

We're also catching a red-eye on Sunday night after getting back to Seattle that morning. Would be lovely to have our luggage taken care of so that we could just go sight-see a bit.

Thanks!

I'm glad you posted this. I honestly did not know there was such an early cut off on this program. We have always gotten the flyers in our stateroom and not been interested, but it is nice to know for when we might want to take advantage of it.

Also, on the website it doesn't include Southwest so on our return from Alaska, we had planned to store our luggage at Pier 66 for $3/bag until our later flight. We planned on sightseeing and then coming back to the pier to get our luggage and catch a cab to the airport.

We sailed on Sat and got the paper in our cabin on Tuesday and the cutoff was Wednesday and it did include Southwest! I signed up right away but as I was packing the tons of extra stuff we bought, I had to call the desk and see how I could weigh my bags. Some of them were 45ish lbs coming and with the extra stuff, I thought I would have to buy an extra bag. There is no way to weigh the luggage on board but the desk said not to worry and I knew one of my bags was over 50lbs but figured they might collect when we got home and I sent them all off.

We arrived in our home airport and the bags had been there long before our flight arrived and were in a special holding place by the office. I figured this was when they would get me and collect the overweight fee but we were in luck-no extra fees! I did notice when I got home that the largest bag had a special black and yellow striped tag on it (meaning caution?) and had 60 written on it so I am guessing that is what it weighed. There were 4 of us and 5 bags so it was well worth the $80 not to have to deal with them in Seattle and also escape the $100 overweight fee!

Just be sure to pay attention to those papers coming into the room. There are tons of them. Each night when they arrived, I would sort through them and put all the ones we didn't want or need out of sight. If you want to do the BAGS program and don't see the paper, be sure to start asking on the 3rd night or it might be too late.

Another note about Southwest. I paid the extra $10 fee for early bird check in so I would not have to deal with it on the ship (before knowing about the Bags program.) When we lined up for our flight, another passenger told me if you have a couple or group, you only have to pay for one and the rest can come along with your number! It would have saved me $30 if I knew that ahead of time. Hope it helps someone else!

The early deadline was a suprise for us too (okay probably me not DW). We were on the Pearl and did get the form early in the week, I don't remember which day but it was just a single page and I can see that it would be easy to miss.

I left it sitting there and just happened to notice on Thursday that it was the cutoff. So I figured, okay 5 minutes to fill out and started... 2nd question after name, what is your confirmation number. In all of the paperwork, I had printed out, not one had the return flights and confirmation number on it. So be sure you have that as well. In my case, I had to call (on my cell at sea) and get the number but at least I managed to get it turned in on time.

Some other things to note.

You can check 2 bags per person so if you have 2 bags for 2 people (our case), only 1 person needs to pay the $20 fee. This will get you checked in and 1 boarding pass. The other person will need to get their boarding pass through some other means (airport kiosk being easiest in my opinion). Some airlines charge more for the 2nd bag, Continental charge $10 more but it would still save you $10-$15 (so a question if close enough that getting the boarding pass printed is worth it to you).

If you belong to any frequent flyer programs that give you free bags (or discounts), be sure to include your numbers on the form. I had my card in hand when I turned mine in and she made sure to note them. We didn't have to pay anything to continental, just the $20 to NCL. Just like the last poster, my DWs bag had a "heavy" tag on it, suitcases must put on weight on cruises just like me....

They didn't use to have such an early deadline. I wonder why now? My problem with the BAGS program was that you could only use it if your flight left after 1pm. Well we are experienced cruisers and know if you book a flight after 1pm you will be waiting at the airport for hours and hours. I would rather hassle with my bags than book a flight after 1pm!!

From what you describe it sounds like NCL is intentionally making the program underutilized - maybe even by design. In a few months, I wouldn't be suprised if NCL cancelled the BAGS program all together. They will site......The program was under-utilized and our customers didn't want it. Well no duh, you make it hard for people to sign up, you make the requirements to inflexible and no one will want to use it.

Another note about Southwest. I paid the extra $10 fee for early bird check in so I would not have to deal with it on the ship (before knowing about the Bags program.) When we lined up for our flight, another passenger told me if you have a couple or group, you only have to pay for one and the rest can come along with your number! It would have saved me $30 if I knew that ahead of time. Hope it helps someone else!

I am very certain that no one "can come along with your number" except a lap child without a ticket. At Southwest everyone lines up in order of THEIR boarding pass number. The $10 fee gets you a lower number. You can certainly board before your friend and attempt to save seats for another passenger (not always successful), but each individual must board based on their boarding pass number.

We were on the Pearl and saw the notice in our cabin for the bags program early in the cruise and had a few days to think about it - then we got another notice as a reminder. We took advantage since we had a later flight out of Seattle, and it worked great (hated the expense, but you pay for convenience). I thought that we had plenty of time to think about it and decide. It always pays to look through all the stuff they give you - even if most of it is useless. I thought that NCL did a fair job in notifying passengers.

They didn't use to have such an early deadline. I wonder why now? My problem with the BAGS program was that you could only use it if your flight left after 1pm. Well we are experienced cruisers and know if you book a flight after 1pm you will be waiting at the airport for hours and hours. I would rather hassle with my bags than book a flight after 1pm!!

From what you describe it sounds like NCL is intentionally making the program underutilized - maybe even by design. In a few months, I wouldn't be suprised if NCL cancelled the BAGS program all together. They will site......The program was under-utilized and our customers didn't want it. Well no duh, you make it hard for people to sign up, you make the requirements to inflexible and no one will want to use it.

FYI, just in case you ever want to know, the primary reason for the after 1:00 pm is that they wait until ALL bags are off the ship and put the ones for the airport into a semi and take them all out at once, not in little dribs and drabs as they used to do with the bus transfers. Also, it has to do with the fact that 1:00 is the flight minimum for SEA, to allow for delays and airport check in times two hours ahead of flight with the expected arrival time.

We loved it coming back to MIA from a 14 Night Repo on the Jewel! I think another reason for the 1:00 time is "unexpected circumstances". What if the ship docks later than expected, customs on board delays getting off, etc.

I think it's a smart idea. That's why the cruise lines, TA's recommend not taking an earlier flight. Good thinking on NCL's part and it was wonderful. Yes, extra money, but so worth it. Would do it again in a NY minute!!

Whenisournextcruise, I never heard of "skipping the line" either and paid the $10 for each of the 4 of us to do the early bird check-in. We were chatting in line with the couple ahead of us that flew all the time and he paid the $10 and she did not. She had a B group but the man told us that she would be allowed to join his boarding number and sure enough, as he walked on the plane, he said "She's with me" and right on she walked!

I have read about people taking the Bags program in Miami if flying out of Ft. Lauderdale. You should call NCL and ask. I used to live in Miami and Ft Lauderdale airport is only about 30 minutes away and much nicer than using Miami. Here is a link for the shuttle if you are not renting a car http://www.ridesas.com/

Here is some info from a previous poster (Ruthless Bunny from 4/8)about Ft. Lauderdale but again I couldn't find an answer to your question.

"All things being equal, I'd choose FLL over MIA. There are some things to know. They stagger security, so you can't go through until it's within 90 minutes of your flight. This results in a huge number of returning cruise passengers sitting on the floor of the airport, waiting to be allowed into the security line and into the gate area.

Most of the food and stores are behind security. So if you thought you'd come early, clear security and then eat, you might want to alter your plan.

The newer terminal (Southwest, Jet Blue) has nothing until you get past security. I think in the Delta terminal, there's a Chilis before you get to Security.

The airport is pleasant enough and once through security, isn't so big that you feel like a sherpa dragging your gear up Everest.

Getting your luggage at either location involves waiting. For heaven's sake, don't cut your flights close! Give yourself the time you'll need, both departing and arriving."

Hope that info helps but I think you are going to have to call NCL about Bags. I did read NCL has a shuttle and also a tour so maybe that is an option for you as well.

FYI, Contrary to what some have written, you do not stand in line with your luggage to go through customs and then have it taken away on the Bags Program. Your luggage goes through without you much earlier than you even get off the ship. We just had our customs paper and a carryon and went through easy as pie. Upon arrival at our home airport, the agent commented that our luggage had been there for hours.

Whenisournextcruise, I never heard of "skipping the line" either and paid the $10 for each of the 4 of us to do the early bird check-in. We were chatting in line with the couple ahead of us that flew all the time and he paid the $10 and she did not. She had a B group but the man told us that she would be allowed to join his boarding number and sure enough, as he walked on the plane, he said "She's with me" and right on she walked!

I have read about people taking the Bags program in Miami if flying out of Ft. Lauderdale. You should call NCL and ask. I used to live in Miami and Ft Lauderdale airport is only about 30 minutes away and much nicer than using Miami. Here is a link for the shuttle if you are not renting a car http://www.ridesas.com/

Here is some info from a previous poster (Ruthless Bunny from 4/8)about Ft. Lauderdale but again I couldn't find an answer to your question.

"All things being equal, I'd choose FLL over MIA. There are some things to know. They stagger security, so you can't go through until it's within 90 minutes of your flight. This results in a huge number of returning cruise passengers sitting on the floor of the airport, waiting to be allowed into the security line and into the gate area.

Most of the food and stores are behind security. So if you thought you'd come early, clear security and then eat, you might want to alter your plan.

The newer terminal (Southwest, Jet Blue) has nothing until you get past security. I think in the Delta terminal, there's a Chilis before you get to Security.

The airport is pleasant enough and once through security, isn't so big that you feel like a sherpa dragging your gear up Everest.

Getting your luggage at either location involves waiting. For heaven's sake, don't cut your flights close! Give yourself the time you'll need, both departing and arriving."

Hope that info helps but I think you are going to have to call NCL about Bags. I did read NCL has a shuttle and also a tour so maybe that is an option for you as well.

FYI, Contrary to what some have written, you do not stand in line with your luggage to go through customs and then have it taken away on the Bags Program. Your luggage goes through without you much earlier than you even get off the ship. We just had our customs paper and a carryon and went through easy as pie. Upon arrival at our home airport, the agent commented that our luggage had been there for hours.

Thanks for the info. We are flying in to FLL the night before - I totally don't care for the Miami airport. I'm thinking we will take a tour when we disembark in Miami because our flight home isn't until 3:00. We will find something fun to do - I'm just hoping our luggage has gone to the airport without us.

Regarding the lines with Southwest, it may depend on the airport and who's at the gate. The last three flights I was on with them they wanted you in numeric order. Period. Granted, no one tried to tag along, but they didn't seem all that open to being flexible. I love the new format because I hated when people started lining up an hour before the flight! This procedure is MUCH better!

Archived