Too Much Motion on the Spirit??

lovemylife

One of the latest reviews of the Spirt mentions feeling every little wave, if others have had this experience I'd skip the bonine and reach for my little patches!!! I need to know before we board because I've had sea sickness in the past, and know I need to head it off before it hits!!!

Thanks for any advice you can offer...

My husband, two daughters and I were on the Spirit in December. While I'm extremely prone to motion sickness (even carry Bonine in my car when I'm driving!), I didn't have any problems on the Spirit. My husband did have a bout of nausea the morning we were anchoring in Grand Cayman, and the seas were pretty choppy.

If you have issues, be prepared! Based on my own very weak constitution, and that I didn't have any problems, I wouldn't be too worried about it if I were you.

My husband and I just cruised on 1/30 and we did not feel too much motion. We were on deck 10 in a balcony room. Although, there were several moments on Deck 7 and below that I could feel the motion of the waves etc. I would think that if you are deck 9 or higher you should be okay. I mentioned to my DH that I was glad we were not below nine because of the movement!

Sorry but my experience has always been that the higher on the ship you are the MORE motion you will experience. Midship and low having the least movement.

Anyone else care to chime in?

-Monte

My husband and I just cruised on 1/30 and we did not feel too much motion. We were on deck 10 in a balcony room. Although, there were several moments on Deck 7 and below that I could feel the motion of the waves etc. I would think that if you are deck 9 or higher you should be okay. I mentioned to my DH that I was glad we were not below nine because of the movement!

We were also on the 1/30 on Spirit (Hi, Sellabrate!) and the seas were pretty calm. I did see some folks with patches but I didn't hear anyone say they were sea sick. I think this ship handles the seas very well, but if you do hit a choppy area the ship can't help but go with the flow! LOL I would say, be prepared! I never get sea sick, but I always carry Bonnine and the wrist bands just in case. Don't ruin your cruise if you think wearing a patch will help. Better to be safe than sorry. (Just my 2 cents!)

PA Cruisers2

We sailed on the Spirit in November and the seas were very choppy all the way down - however, I never felt queasy at all and I'm extremely prone to seasickness. And our cabin was on Deck 11. I thought the ride was extremely smooth. The only time I felt the motion was on the tender boats - I learned the hard way from getting on too early - they make you wait till the boat fills up before they leave.

Bring the Bonine just in case . . . .and have a wonderful cruise. You'll love the Spirit - she is fabulous.

We just came back from sailing on the Sea, which is also a small ship. We had about 1/2 a day of 5-6 foot swells and there were a number of people feeling ill during that period, but my wife and I wore the patches and we were just fine. If you think you might have the slightest problem with motion, I would get the patch. Well worth the money.

Sorry, but I am a bit ignorant.. what is Bonnie?? :confused: I have heard of the wrist bands mentioned above, as I use them all the time - when I fly, drive, etc - as I am prone to motion sickness. If there is something better, I would like info as we head to Alaska in May. (Dramomine makes me to sleepy to funtion, even the non-drowsy)

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy Bonine at any drugstore. The generic name is meclizine; it is cheaper than the brand name. It dosen't cause drowsiness.

There is a Canadian website that sells the Transderm-Scop patches without need for a prescription. It costs $10.95 for 2 patches and $4.00 for shipping. This is cheaper than a lot other sites.

Archived