New Caveat to the New price drop policy!

Guess I should print my invoice then :D

I've been on a few cruises and thought I had a decent idea of how things worked but this latest booking has me somewhat flummoxed.

I am a solo cruiser and booked an Outside GTY. Now, I am used to the idea of paying up to 200% of the single fare to go solo but this time RCCL seems to have added a new wrinkle...a couple of days after I booked my cruise I went back to check prices on the cruise and lo and behold, I discovered that, at that point, if you were booking as a solo, RCCL was not offering the oceanview GTY. As a solo you would have to book a specific oceanview cabin and pay a significantly higher price than for booking a GTY. If you were booking 2 to a cabin however, the GTY was still available. Doesn't affect me really since I already have my booking but it might affect me if for some reason I wanted to change the booking. So, I am left wondering, does this happen often? Are solos penalized in more ways than just paying double, by actually having certain booking options off limits for them?

I've been on a few cruises and thought I had a decent idea of how things worked but this latest booking has me somewhat flummoxed.

I am a solo cruiser and booked an Outside GTY. Now, I am used to the idea of paying up to 200% of the single fare to go solo but this time RCCL seems to have added a new wrinkle...a couple of days after I booked my cruise I went back to check prices on the cruise and lo and behold, I discovered that, at that point, if you were booking as a solo, RCCL was not offering the oceanview GTY. As a solo you would have to book a specific oceanview cabin and pay a significantly higher price than for booking a GTY. If you were booking 2 to a cabin however, the GTY was still available. Doesn't affect me really since I already have my booking but it might affect me if for some reason I wanted to change the booking. So, I am left wondering, does this happen often? Are solos penalized in more ways than just paying double, by actually having certain booking options off limits for them?

Unfortunately, Yes!

Unfortunately, Yes!

hmm... good to know, guess it is time to get serious about making a list of lines that treat solo cruisers better...then again maybe they don't exist and all cruise lines do whatever they can, that they think will maximize their immediate profit.

She read it to me right off their directive, it just changed the other day and effects ALL bookings according to her.

She was wrong. And she should have checked with the proper department to clarify.

The only time this would not be allowed is after final payment. You can't take a price reduction after final in the new policy. Which means you also cannot go back into the gty pool after final if it is for a lower price. There have been NO changes to the gty policy in at least a year.

Hold the gty as a double, call up and let them know you want a single, they'll take care of it. It is an inventory thing - also, not new. This happens sometimes and has for years. Computers, what can you do?

She was wrong. And she should have checked with the proper department to clarify.

The only time this would not be allowed is after final payment. You can't take a price reduction after final in the new policy. Which means you also cannot go back into the gty pool after final if it is for a lower price. There have been NO changes to the gty policy in at least a year.

Please tell me your source? The rep said it was brand new and NOW if you have been assigned a cabin you can't get the lower price. This is a month BEFORE final payment so that is not even part of the equation. You keep insisting that she was wrong but she read me the new policy word for word from their directive that they had just gotten within the last day or so and she was blind sided by it.

The rep said it was brand new and NOW if you have been assigned a cabin you can't get the lower price. This is a month BEFORE final payment so that is not even part of the equation..

So you can't get the guarantee price if it goes lower? That would make sense because you are now assigned a higher category. But I would think that whatever category you are assigned to should be eligible for price drops before final for that category.

ex. book balcony guarantee get assigned an E1 cabin, now you can't get a guarantee price drop but you should be able to get an E1 price drop before final. That would seem logical anyway. yeah I know logic is not part of the business plan.

So you can't get the guarantee price if it goes lower? That would make sense because you are now assigned a higher category. But I would think that whatever category you are assigned to should be eligible for price drops before final for that category.

ex. book balcony guarantee get assigned an E1 cabin, now you can't get a guarantee price drop but you should be able to get an E1 price drop before final. That would seem logical anyway. yeah I know logic is not part of the business plan.

that would be nice but that was NEVER part of the policy, you had to go back to the pool if you wanted the price drop for the guarantee category not the category assigned.

So, lets say I book an inside guarantee on the Oasis for around $500.00 per person.

Then am assigned the Royal Suite, and the price of the guarantees goes down to $499.00 per person, I can't get the $2.00 as an OBC. That would suck.:rolleyes:

If you book a guarantee category Q, and then are assigned a category Q, and the category Q price goes down, do you get that price drop?

Please tell me your source? The rep said it was brand new and NOW if you have been assigned a cabin you can't get the lower price. This is a month BEFORE final payment so that is not even part of the equation. You keep insisting that she was wrong but she read me the new policy word for word from their directive that they had just gotten within the last day or so and she was blind sided by it.

So why don't you just cancel and rebook the gty?

Archived