Taxi in Florence

bg24545

Hello!

:D

I'm trying to figure out what time to purchase the ticket for the Accademia museum in Florence. My husband and I are doing a Florence/Pisa on your own tour with RCI and they only allot 3.75 hours in Florence and we arrive around 9:45am at Piazza Santa Croce. Does anyone know if there are cabs hanging around the Piazzas that can take us directly there? Or should we wait and do it later in the day? We'd also like to check out the Duomo and Pizza della Signoria with some time to shop for some leather goods! Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

In Italian cities you'll find cabs at stands in the major Piazzas, including near Santa Croce. Florence has large pedestrian-only zones around the historic areas, so the cab will not be able to take as direct a route as you would on foot. Therefore, the cab won't save as much time as you might think. On foot it's about 15 - 20 minutes, depending on how fast you walk, by cab 10 - 15 minutes, depending on traffic.

On your way back from the Accademia you can check out the San Lorenzo market for leather goods, then go to the Duomo before heading back to Santa Croce.

That's an absurdly short amount of time in Florence - but I guess it's the best they can do, factoring in the time required to get busloads of people together, on the bus, and off to the next place. You'd certainly have more time with a private car and driver, have you considered trying to find others on your cruise (via the roll call for your cruise) who would be interested in sharing a private car or van, so you can extend your time in both places?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello!

:D

I'm trying to figure out what time to purchase the ticket for the Accademia museum in Florence. My husband and I are doing a Florence/Pisa on your own tour with RCI and they only allot 3.75 hours in Florence and we arrive around 9:45am at Piazza Santa Croce. Does anyone know if there are cabs hanging around the Piazzas that can take us directly there? Or should we wait and do it later in the day? We'd also like to check out the Duomo and Pizza della Signoria with some time to shop for some leather goods! Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Yes there is a taxi station at Santa Croce Square as we remember.

We also went by car from there to the Academia Museum and it took less then 10 mnts. So arriving at 09.45 a.m. at Santa Croce maybe you can book the museum around 11.00 so you will have time to visit the church and do some shopping in the square where many leather shops are..

Archived