Norwegian Gem- Are the Suites worth it?

podsnel

Hi! We are thinking of booking Gem for August 2011 to Bermuda to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I keep reading about the wonderful experiences everyone has when they book a suite- but, WOW! It's alot more $$$!!! Of course! :rolleyes: Anyway, I was hoping you might be able to fill me in on what is included in booking a suite- what extras were there? Are the extras for all suites, including the smaller ones? How did your suite put your vacation over the top for your family? What are the chances of upgrading at a better price after booking or at the port? There will be four of us in the cabin- we'll be bringing our 12 & 14 year old sons. Thanks so much for your help!!

Not too many suite that accommodate four people, so you are looking at the AB, A3, or Garden Villas only (I don't know the new designations of those suites, sorry!). Are they worth it? To me DEFINITELY! I won't sail again in a non-suite if I can help it. For suite amenities, look at NCL.com, click on "Ships" then "NCL Gem", then look for a link on the right hand side for "Explore Our Suites and Villas".

Edited to add: New designations are S1 (Garden Villa - old A1) and S4 (2 bedroom courtyard suite - old A3) that include Courtyard access. The 2 bedroom Penthouse Suite is now SC (used to AB) and does not include Courtyard access...

Robin

We love the suite life so much that we are already booked for next August to celebrate our 10th year anni. and a big birthday....

Anywho~ Are you looking at the Courtyard villa suites (S4, S5) or the Penthouse suite (SC)?

Both are great but the CY suites have the access to the courtyard area where the SCs do not. Tons of perks...

opps...I sent this before I finished....The chances of upgraded at the pier at that time of the year is slim...and since there really aren't a lot in that catagory, I would book the catagory you definitely want.

Not too many suite that accommodate four people, so you are looking at the AB, A3, or Garden Villas only (I don't know the new designations of those suites, sorry!). Are they worth it? To me DEFINITELY! I won't sail again in a non-suite if I can help it. For suite amenities, look at NCL.com, click on "Ships" then "NCL Gem", then look for a link on the right hand side for "Explore Our Suites and Villas".

Edited to add: New designations are S1 (Garden Villa - old A1) and S4 (2 bedroom courtyard suite - old A3) that include Courtyard access. The 2 bedroom Penthouse Suite is now SC (used to AB) and does not include Courtyard access...

Robin

What about mini-suites? Online it tells me that these accomodate 4 people. What do you think?

Thanks so much!!:)

We've been an AE and AD and a non-suite balcony. For your family, I would go with a mini or balcony. The AE and AD were aft which we love, but neither will accomodate your boys. I would guess they will want to be in the big pools with the rest of the "kids". I think the courtyard is dark and dull for teens and the pool is tiny. For us as a couple, we loved Cagneys for breakfast and lunch. Our boys would have wanted to eat at the buffet, so that perk would not be used by you as much. We were upgraded to the AD for only $300 for a 7 night and that was great! We upsold ourselves to the AE for more, but we knew we would be eating breakfast in Cagneys every day and lunch most days because of the length of our excursions. We booked a non suite balcony in Hawaii because we spent almost all of our day times in ports at the beach or on excursions.I would say, if money is not an object, get a two room suite or two balconies or 2 mini-suites, so you can have a separate room. Otherwise, use the money for excursions or another cruise and book a mini or balcony.

We were just on the Gem in an AB suite last week. I HIGHLY recommend the AB for a family of 4. We also have two kids 12 & 14. One slept in the kids room and the other slept on the living room sofa, which they made into a very comfortable single bed. You will have two bathrooms, one for the kids and a wonderful one for you with a nice tub and big shower with multiple shower heads and big windows to look out. Having a butler was a dream, Ruth the concierge will be very helpful. Embarkation, tendering, and disembarkation are so much better if are a VIP. Perhaps the best perk is eating breakfast and lunch in Cagney's and not having to eat the crappy food in the Garden Cafe or the main dining rooms at lunch. You can also have anything from any restaurant brought to your suite by your butler. I will NEVER stay in a non suite again, especially with kids. The mini suite is just a glorified balcony room and not big enough for bigger kids. The Garden Villa family suites are exactly the same as the AB, but you get the small (and I mean small) plunge pool in the courtyard, special sundeck and a small exercise room with a treadmill and an elliptical. The perks are the same in both, I didn't like the courtyard myself. Have a fun cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
What about mini-suites? Online it tells me that these accomodate 4 people. What do you think?

Thanks so much!!:)

Does the A4 include courtyard access? It seems like it must since it is right there..

The Garden Villa family suites are exactly the same as the AB...

Not true. There's a HUGE difference between the garden villa and courtyard villa. The courtyard villa is exactly the same as the AB with courtyard access. (Which is amamzing, btw.) The garden villa is the monster three-bedroom suite! Each "bedroom" is practically its own suite within the larger suite. It has access to the courtyard as well, but also has its own private courtyard.

Forget the mini-suites for 4 people. I sailed in one with 3 of my friends (luckily it was only a 2-night cruise to nowhere), and it was ridiculously cramped - beds everywhere, no place to walk, had to crawl over the beds to get to the balcony or to the ill-placed closet. The room was about the same size as a regular balcony room on Carnival or Royal, so the "suite" classification is a bit misleading.

Hope this helps. The Gem is a very nice ship and I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

One the Gem's April 30th 2010 cruise, a family suite for 4 was $1,000 more than booking two balconies for 2. For that $1,000, you'll get priority boarding, priority tendering, concierge, butler, bottled water, an expresso machine, breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. Plus a $300 onboard credit was given instead of $50. I'm sure there are more perks, but I cant think of them offhand. Wish it was me that booked the suite!!

• 8 months later...

Help! I am trying to convince my wife to upgrade to a mini-suite for 2 reasons: 1) Space - this will be our first time traveling with our daughter (18 mos) and I feel that having the extra space will be invaluable and 2) Naps - when baby has to nap at least we can chill on the balcony vs. an inside room.

The $ difference is about $500 (give or take) - to me its a no-brainer, but she's hesitating at the $$. Any ammunition I can have to use to build my case (mini-suite vs. inside) would be very much appreciated!

Question - what extra ammenities are included? Any?

Thanks in advance!!!:D

Help! I am trying to convince my wife to upgrade to a mini-suite for 2 reasons: 1) Space - this will be our first time traveling with our daughter (18 mos) and I feel that having the extra space will be invaluable and 2) Naps - when baby has to nap at least we can chill on the balcony vs. an inside room.

The $ difference is about $500 (give or take) - to me its a no-brainer, but she's hesitating at the $$. Any ammunition I can have to use to build my case (mini-suite vs. inside) would be very much appreciated!

Question - what extra ammenities are included? Any?

Thanks in advance!!!:D

No extra amenities; think of the mini-suite as a deluxe balcony. These are the reasons I would think you might want to upgrade to a mini-suite:

1. as you said you have the extra space with a balcony,

2. The mini-suite comes with a shower over tub, rather than just a shower. Easier to bathe baby.

3. The mini-suite has a couple feet more room between the bed and the sitting area with pull out couch. More room for maneuvering.

4. The mini-suite has a heavy curtain between the bed and sitting area so baby can sleep while you are still up.

I have been in an AB penthouse and I must tell you , you will be spoiled. So many perks.... Butler and Conceirge...awesome. Priority boarding on ship and on the small boats that take to you to the ports/GSC. No worrying about making any reservations for dinner for speciality restuarants..conceirge will take care of that. Plate of hor dourves brought to you every day to your cabin. Free Breakfast and lunch in Cagneys. DVD players, deluxe coffee machines, better room service menu, the list goes on.

If you have the opportunity to try it , you will not be disappointed. :rolleyes:

Common question: Are the full suites worth the money?

Common answer - YES.

But, logic says otherwise. There are only a few of these suites and they do not often sell out early. Conclusion: Not that many think they are worth it. But instead people book Balcony, O View and even inside cabins.

With that said, the full suite are wonderful.

For the person traveling with an 18 month old, having that privacy curtain so the baby can sleep may well be worth the extra money.

Archived