What to pack!

jlyn1216

I was wondering what to pack for an Aug. cruise? Never been to Tahiti and was wondering what the weather would be like mid Aug? Thanks, Jamie

Jamie, it's always warm in French Polynesia. July and August are a little dryer and less humid. Other than perhaps a wrap for evenings in the restaurants and lounges, you will not need anything warm to wear.

For day, t-shirts, shorts or capris, sandals. A loose long-sleeved cover-up of some kind of you're susceptible to the sun (it's very very strong there.) Bathing suits, natch. I have pareos that I've bought there, you can buy them in Papeete or on the ship, they make a great wrap with a suit. Running shoes or similar if you are doing land-based excursions. Water shoes for all water- or beach-based activities are essential (also called reef shoes or water socks--available in plentiful quantities right now in discount stores.)

For evening, simple summer dresses or long skirts or pants with a nice top. For guys, khaki pants, and a nice shirt.

Make sure to bring lots of sunscreen. Some folks bring bug spray, I never have, but then I've never been there in August.

Agree with Wendy, except I would say bug spray will come in handy. We were attacked by the no=seeums when sitting on the motu at the motu barbeque day. Anytime you are on land, especially toward sunset, your skin is fair game......our last trip was in December, but we have been in June and August.....

Most of the time my hubby will be wearing nice Bahama-type shirts in the dining room, without a coat. BUT, there are those occasions, like the Captain's party, where he will feel comfortable wearing a sport coat. Also perhaps in the Veranda dining room at night.

As Wendy said, the weather doesn't change much month to month. It is slightly more humid in the winter months, and supposedly Dec is the rainiest month. However, on our 10 day trip in December, we had no rain at all! You just never know.

:D

I was wondering what to pack for an Aug. cruise? Never been to Tahiti and was wondering what the weather would be like mid Aug? Thanks, Jamie

If you are on the August 14 sailing, please join our roll call and perhaps join us on one or more excursions!

Lots of folks like rash guards, but I can attest that they are not really necessary. If not, do take an old tshirt that you can wear while snorkelling--to protect your back from sunburn.

You have an opinion for everything!:rolleyes:

Rash Guards (available at Lands End) provide built in UV protection within the garment whereas an "Old T-Siirt" provides nothing!They look and feel great and prevent sun damage!:p

I think that Cruise Critic encourages Members opinions - it is the basis of their philosophy. One may or may not agree with the opinions expressed.

Up to now the Paul Gauguin forum has been spared the agressive "tit for tat" sometimes seen on other forums..... I hope this continues.

Those with upcoming cruises have the opportunity of sorting through the "opinions" of past passengers and deciding which correspond to the questions they were asking.

Bon voyage à tous!

Bandt

P.S. Apologies to jlyn1216 for not replying to the original post. Our "opinion" - pack lightweight cotton apparel that you will feel comfortable wearing in a tropical climate. Evenings for Gentlemen and Ladies are casual and elegant......... we never wore a jacket nor a tie !

Have a wonderful cruise.

B&T

Rash Guards (available at Lands End) provide built in UV protection within the garment whereas an "Old T-Siirt" provides nothing!They look and feel great and prevent sun damage!:p

Yeh, right. I use RIT Sunguard on my tshirt for UV protection. Take that.

I just don't find the need for the rashguard, and they look silly, frankly. Of course, I look silly in a bathing suit and tshirt too. Oh well, who cares.

Yeh, right. I use RIT Sunguard on my tshirt for UV protection. Take that.

I just don't find the need for the rashguard, and they look silly, frankly. Of course, I look silly in a bathing suit and tshirt too. Oh well, who cares.

OP, Wendy's post is spot on. Also, don't discount the laundry service on board to avoid overpacking. They were efficient and the cost was the only deal I saw in FP!

Wendy, they look very uncomfy to me. Our mutual friend, Freddie, is the only person I've ever seen who actually looks attractive in one!

Someone needs a hug! :rolleyes:

Our mutual friend, Freddie, is the only person I've ever seen who actually looks attractive in one!

OK Girls, now you do have our minds boggling :D.......... but only know one Freddie on board !

Yeah,we can do without Freddie!As far as the rash guard,its a t shirt made of mostly nylon which blocks the suns rays!They are VERY comfortable and look great!I might suggest that the bandt twins wear one each to dinner.....very fashionable!:D

OP, Wendy's post is spot on. Also, don't discount the laundry service on board to avoid overpacking. They were efficient and the cost was the only deal I saw in FP!

Wendy, they look very uncomfy to me. Our mutual friend, Freddie, is the only person I've ever seen who actually looks attractive in one!

Well Angler, I've seen Freddie in one of those things, may even have a picture somewhere, and hmm, not so sure about the attractive part. You have to be a muscular diver in your twenties to look good in one (sorry Tom to disagree).

I said `might`, I`ll have to look thru my pix from back then. It was 2005.

...nope, sorry I don`t. Fred would probably never speak to me again anyways. I do have a nice pic of Fred and Pat wearing their newly-purchased black pearl chokers, here:

http://rancher504.smugmug.com/Travel/French-Polynesia-Pip-2005/603712_3wDze#25448092_kLT7o-A-LB

Both looking very handsome, I must say.

We are going on the 14th August, maybe you are on the same cruise. We wear rashguards in Australia and they are very comfortable as they are extremely stetchy and they are a brilliant safeguard to the UV. My husband and I will be wearing ours and frankly I don't care how we look as long as we are well protected. I know how you feel, I agree it is difficult not knowing what to pack.:eek:

You have to be a muscular diver in your twenties to look good in one (sorry Tom to disagree).

A-c-t-u-a-l-l-y... O'NEILL makes what they call "rash T's" (loose fitting, similar to a regular t-shirt). I personally love them. They're comfortable, durable, wear just like a regular t-shirt, have UV-50 rating, and dry very quickly. It's much easier to slip one on before hitting the water than slathering up with all that sunscreen.

Oh... and yep, they're MUCH more flattering if you are NOT a muscular diver in your twenties! :)

Google "rash T" for info. You can get them online or at practically any surf shop.

Jamie, it's always warm in French Polynesia. July and August are a little dryer and less humid. Other than perhaps a wrap for evenings in the restaurants and lounges, you will not need anything warm to wear.

For day, t-shirts, shorts or capris, sandals. A loose long-sleeved cover-up of some kind of you're susceptible to the sun (it's very very strong there.) Bathing suits, natch. I have pareos that I've bought there, you can buy them in Papeete or on the ship, they make a great wrap with a suit. Running shoes or similar if you are doing land-based excursions. Water shoes for all water- or beach-based activities are essential (also called reef shoes or water socks--available in plentiful quantities right now in discount stores.)

For evening, simple summer dresses or long skirts or pants with a nice top. For guys, khaki pants, and a nice shirt.

Make sure to bring lots of sunscreen. Some folks bring bug spray, I never have, but then I've never been there in August.

You mention water shoes are essential. Are you saying that lots of rocks or coral are present when entering the water from the beach?

You mention water shoes are essential. Are you saying that lots of rocks or coral are present when entering the water from the beach?

Yes, Tom's right. Plenty of coral. FP isn't known for its great sand beaches, they are mostly coral. Even the wonderful sand beach on the Bora Bora motu has a line of sharp dead coral and shells just at the waterline.

Also, there is a deadly (but fortunately very rare) fish, called the stonefish. If you step on it, you die.

Archived