Ketchikan's Cultural Discovery

mll1013

Has anybody taken the Ketchikan's Cultural Discovery (aka Ketchikan Discovery Tour)? Our TA told us that we received this "Complimentary Exclusive Shore Excursion" from HAL for two passengers. We would simply have to add on the price for our children (ages 10 and 12). It is a four-hour tour including the following highlights:

- Totem Bight State Park

- a traditional Native clan house

- Alaska Totem Trading museum

- Deer Mountain Hatchery & Eagle Center.

- Totem Heritage Center

Has anybody taken the Ketchikan's Cultural Discovery (aka Ketchikan Discovery Tour)? Our TA told us that we received this "Complimentary Exclusive Shore Excursion" from HAL for two passengers. We would simply have to add on the price for our children (ages 10 and 12). It is a four-hour tour including the following highlights:

- Totem Bight State Park

- a traditional Native clan house

- Alaska Totem Trading museum

- Deer Mountain Hatchery & Eagle Center.

- Totem Heritage Center

We've done all of these except Native Clan House. All are very interesting and worth the time and you can't beat the price.

BTW, it would be how I WOULD want to spend my short, limited time in Ketchikan. :)

Yes, certainly, it is a great option for free. :) BUT, is this how YOU wish to spend your short, limited time in Ketchikan?

I hear you, Budget Queen, and I'm sure there are plenty out there who are saying, "I wouldn't spend my time doing that when I could take a float plane to Misty Fjords." While we had strongly debated the Misty Fjords opportunities and have read many on this board claim that it is the absolute best excursion they did on their inside passage cruise, we couldn't justify the ~$1000 for a one-hour excursion for a family of four.

While in AK, we want to expose our children (and ourselves!) to the wildlife, natural beauty, AND unique culture of AK. This excursion might be the way to cover the cultural aspect.

When money becomes no object :rolleyes: we will certainly return and do Misty Fjords properly.

For $1000 you could have a Beaver for your family of four with any Air Taxi Company. But you could've found much cheaper seats off the ship from the independent vendors. More like $175 a seat.

I don't think I know where to look, because just using Google, everything was $229 per adult fare, so I was rounding close to a grand after taxes, but I do see now that those are 2 hour tours, and not just one hour long as I originally posted.

Before committing to either activity, I may look a little harder for more independent operations that might have better fares.

I don't think I know where to look, because just using Google, everything was $229 per adult fare, so I was rounding close to a grand after taxes, but I do see now that those are 2 hour tours, and not just one hour long as I originally posted.

Before committing to either activity, I may look a little harder for more independent operations that might have better fares.

For $169pp you can do one of the mail runs for a floatplane experience.

Archived