Blackberry Coverage on QM2

MerrylandCruiser

According to the Verizon Wireless website, Cunard only has Voice and Text Messaging service; Global Email and GlobalAccess service not available at this time. However, from some posts it appears that data service may, in fact, be available on BlackBerries. Can anyone with Verizon BlackBerry service verify this?

Thanks!

I have AT&T not Verizon, so perhaps you will be luckier (??) than I, but I find that I lose service on my BB soon after we sail.

Sometimes, it will catch a signal and then update and a flurry of emails will suddenly arrive, but for the most part I do not expect it to work while at sea. (In some ways I have been quite grateful to have it not working for a bit, but of course when you need to be in touch it can be frustrating, since we have all become so used to instant communication).

It does seem to me that Cunard and other lines have been working at expanding their wireless systems, so perhaps it will have become more reliable on my next trip. Best of luck with your Verizon BB!!:)

I have AT&T not Verizon, so perhaps you will be luckier (??) than I, but I find that I lose service on my BB soon after we sail.

Sometimes, it will catch a signal and then update and a flurry of emails will suddenly arrive, but for the most part I do not expect it to work while at sea. (In some ways I have been quite grateful to have it not working for a bit, but of course when you need to be in touch it can be frustrating, since we have all become so used to instant communication).

It does seem to me that Cunard and other lines have been working at expanding their wireless systems, so perhaps it will have become more reliable on my next trip. Best of luck with your Verizon BB!!:)

Based on Verizon"s website, it looks like Cunard and Princess are the only major cruise lines that don't support data services for BlackBerries.

Based on Verizon"s website, it looks like Cunard and Princess are the only major cruise lines that don't support data services for BlackBerries.

The advice I was given by fellow passengers on QM2 is this: contact your service provider to secure coverage for your voyage. However, when you are on the open sea, communications are dependent on satellite coverage, and there are no guarantees with satellites. BTW, if you need a secure data line, best check if that is possible.

Alternatively, take a vacation: if possible leave the berries at home :D

Cheers,

Salacia

Cunard's mobile communication services have never been much good. I must say that I found Silverseas much better, with instant connections between hand-held devices and the Silverseas own satellite communications systems, even in remote places of the World. However, that said, I was not too pleased to receive a bill for $1600 after using my mobile on a Silverseas voyage. It is probably best to keep such communications to a minimum.

Louise

I can tell you that if you have a GSM Phone EG: AT&T or T-Mobile - your data on your blackberry will work. It will be slow on the GPRS Server.

If you have a Verizon Wireless BlackBerry it will not work. Your Voice Service and Text Messages will only work.

Thanks

Ryan

Archived