Best way to spend a day at Amalfi

yarramar

We will be arriving at Amalfi port mid September at noon and leaving 10pm.

Would it be possible to head to Ravello on arrival, spend some time then back to port, cath ferry to Positano then bus back to Amalfi.

Would we have enough daylight to make this enjoyable or should we skip Ravello, bus to Salerno, ferry to Positano, then back?

Are there better ways to spend our day from here?

Thank you

In mid-September, sunset will be around 7 PM.

I can't imagine why you'd want to go to Salerno.

If you spend very little time in each place, you could see Ravello, Positano and Amalfi. Ideally, you should focus on two of the three, but if you can't be dissuaded, then plan to spend your daylight hours in Ravello and Positano, then have dinner in Amalfi before reboarding your ship.

I can't imagine why you'd want to go to Salerno.

The reasoning for Salerno was to drive along the coast road the pick up the ferry to Positano for the remainder of the coast road trip back to Amalfi.

If you spend very little time in each place, you could see Ravello, Positano and Amalfi. Ideally, you should focus on two of the three, but if you can't be dissuaded, then plan to spend your daylight hours in Ravello and Positano, then have dinner in Amalfi before reboarding your ship.

I would rather spend the day leisurely and enjoy the places I visit. Would it be better to just ferry to Positano, spend time there then bus back to Amalfi for dinner?

I think that's a lovely plan - you'll get to see the coast from both perspectives (water and road) and you'll have the time to really appreciate both places.

I realized when re-reading my comment about Salerno that it came across kind of snarky, which is not what I meant, sorry about that. I was reacting to the fact that Salerno is rather out of the way, and not particularly interesting on its own. I stayed in Vietri Sul Mare a few years ago (the last town on the coast before Salerno) and I thought that the charm of the coast was already receding at that point, by Salerno it was just about gone.

Is it possible to take a ferry to Capri from Amalfi? We are there Sept 23rd from 8am to 6pm but we will have seen the coast from Sorrento to Ravello and Amalfi the day before. Not possible to do Capri on the day before so I was hoping we could do it from Amalfi. Any input greatly appreciated.

It is possible to take a boat from Amalfi tp Capri, but Amalfi is quite a small town and boats are infrequent. It's only a summer service, I believe, so whether it would be running in September, I wouldn't know. I think there are 3 boats to Capri in the morning, and only 2 back in the afternoon, the first being around 4.30pm. I can't remember how long the boat takes (I was staying in Amalfi for a fortnight when I did it, so I didn't have any deadline), but it takes much longer than from Naples or Sorrento because, apart from the distance, it's not a jet boat. If your ship leaves at 6.00pm, I don't think you'd make it. If the weather's at all rough,the boats don't operate anyway.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to read about Salerno - I'll be tendered there instead of Naples the end of September. Was looking forward to Capri. What do you recommend seeing close to Salerno - if you had to choose just one town?

Sorry to read about Salerno - I'll be tendered there instead of Naples the end of September. Was looking forward to Capri. What do you recommend seeing close to Salerno - if you had to choose just one town?

There are several ferries each morning from Salerno to Capri, so if you are tendered there all day there is no reason for you to miss Capri.

You can see the schedule here: http://www.salernostazionemarittima.it/Orari_trag4_sett08.htm

The fast jet boats make the trip in an hour and twenty minutes, so you can probably catch the 8:10 boat and be on Capri by 9:30. There isn't much choice on the return, however, since the only fast boat back is at 3:30, arriving 4:50.

If you decide not to go to Capri, Salerno is actually a better port than Naples for visiting the Amalfi coast, because it's right there. You can use the bus or hire a driver to head up the coast.

Could I ask your opinions on a private tour offered from Naples to Amalfi, Positano and Ravello lasting 8-9 hours in a 6-8 person van for $360 euros? Price sounds attractive. Would it allow enough time to enjoy the stops or mostly on the road? Thanks

Could I ask your opinions on a private tour offered from Naples to Amalfi, Positano and Ravello lasting 8-9 hours in a 6-8 person van for $360 euros? Price sounds attractive. Would it allow enough time to enjoy the stops or mostly on the road? Thanks

Something is messed up with these boards today, I know I responded to this hours ago.

At any rate, what I said at the time was that there is plenty of time to do this, especially with a driver who is taking care of the parking issues for you. The three towns aren't very far from one another, so you'll have a decent amount of time in each.

Archived