Crab legs served on cruiseship??

lovebug01

They did on the May 31st sailing of HAL Amsterdam - and they were very good! I think it was on the first night, actually. Only in the MDR though. They did have cold crab leg appetizers in the Lido later on in the cruise, and they were good as well.

But THE best King Crab legs we had - and the largest by far, were from Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. OMG!!!! Fantastic! Expensive but worth every single penny! It truly is a shack - like a little trailer that is outfitted to serve these wonderful crab legs and her award winning crab bisque (to die for!!!). There are outdoor picnic tables under a canopy and about 4 standard bar stools at the counter. Try the crab leg, crab cakes, and soup special - its served with a roll and I think coleslaw, and was plenty for two (although I did order a pint of the crab soup just for myself!). Yes, those crab legs were plenty to feed both DH and I for a nice, hearty lunch. Delicious!

Oh, you won't be sorry! The day we were there, they were serving crab legs caught on the Time Bandit (from the Deadliest Catch tv show for those not in the know). Tracy actually posts a sign out front of the stand of which famous crab legs they are serving that day!

We also ordered 6 lbs. of those badboys to be delivered the day after we arrived home from our cruise. They came, we saw, we conquered! LOL! Not all 6 lbs. mind you - probably have only eaten about a pound of 'em so far! More to savor for later!

Yes, we usually have crab legs one night in Alaska. The same frozen crab legs that we have one night in the Caribbean! Good -- but not fresh Alaskan!

If your trip goes to Icy Strait Point, the Office Bar in Hoonah is famous for crab that was swimming that morning.

Have a GREAT cruise!

:confused: :rolleyes: Inquiry minds want to know, do they serve crab legs for dinner one night on an Alaskan cruise?

I have no way of knowing which cruise line you are referring to. Each is going to have its own menus and fresh items.

However, we are booked on Oceania's Regatta for next season, and you might be interested in a press release just published on this same subject....

Oceania said that when provisioning locally, the ship’s executive chef will seek the freshest catch and shellfish, making on-the-spot decisions. Consequently, not all selections will always be available and there may be surprise menu additions.

Depending on the voyage and venue, appetizers might include fresh halibut velouté (a creamy fish soup with saffron rice and julienne leeks) or Alaskan king crab legs.

Entrees may include fresh halibut with dill and tomato beurre blanc, Alaskan venison medallions and wild mushroom fricassée, Alaskan king crab risotto, poached local wild salmon with chive butter sauce and Thai-spice encrusted Alaskan halibut.

We will be on the Carnival Spirit. Are crab or lobster served any night? Yes, I know it is frozen (but so are the crab legs you buy in Alaska this time of year as it is not crab season). I like them anyway. I do not have them at home on a regular basis.:)

"However, we are booked on Oceania's Regatta for next season, and you might be interested in a press release just published on this same subject...."

Rickey 88,

Thank you for the info on Oceania's press release on Alaskan cuisine, it all sounds wonderfull.

What sailing are you on? We have booked 17 June 2011, can't wait for our long awaited trip to Alaska. If you happen to be on "our" sailing pop on over to our Roll Call. It has been very quiet but I think in due time things will be picking up.

Jill

Rickey 88,

Thank you for the info on Oceania's press release on Alaskan cuisine, it all sounds wonderfull.

What sailing are you on? We have booked 17 June 2011, can't wait for our long awaited trip to Alaska. If you happen to be on "our" sailing pop on over to our Roll Call. It has been very quiet but I think in due time things will be picking up.

Jill

Sorry to say, we sail June 28th from Anchorage to Vancouver. If you have never been to Alaska, prepare to be overwhelmed. If you have never been on Oceania, then the same holds true!!

Enjoy yourselves......:cool:

Sorry to say, we sail June 28th from Anchorage to Vancouver. If you have never been to Alaska, prepare to be overwhelmed. If you have never been on Oceania, then the same holds true!!

Enjoy yourselves......:cool:

Rickey 88,

We spent 22 fantastic days on the Insignia last Nov. to the Med. We have been waiting for Oceania to sail Alaska so we could join in the fun. You can't beat the Alaskan itn. that Oceania put together and we love the small ships and excellent cusine.

We will be on the Carnival Spirit. Are crab or lobster served any night? Yes, I know it is frozen (but so are the crab legs you buy in Alaska this time of year as it is not crab season). I like them anyway. I do not have them at home on a regular basis.:)

King crab is ALWAYS frozen in the summer (even if it says "fresh" as there are loopholes that allow it to be advertised as fresh if it is frozen within a specific amount of time after being caught). Dungeness, on the other hand, is fresh this time of year, and the taste IMHO is far better than king crab.

Dungeness, on the other hand, is fresh this time of year, and the taste IMHO is far better than king crab.

a good chance your dungeness will have been cooked and frozen. a processor just doesn't have the capacity for a live tank nor want to run the risk of a die off. and as crabs must be cooked soon after killing, unless you see a live tank at your favorite crab shack, your crab is probably being re-heated.

though not as impressive looking as a king crab, i prefer eating dungeness.

:confused: :rolleyes: Inquiry minds want to know, do they serve crab legs for dinner one night on an Alaskan cruise?

Lovebug01,

We cruised on the Radiance on the 28 May 2010 departure out of Seward. They did not offer crab legs during any meal. They did offer lobster during one of the formal nights and you could ask your waiter to bring more if one tail wasn't enough. Get your crab in port like everyone else has recommended.

Jerry

Archived