Maya Chan in Costa Maya, Mexico...anyone been there?

wittygal

Our ride back to the pier took about 15-20 minutes. They will ask you when you want to leave, so they can call the prepaid taxi or van. We left at 3:00 p.m. so there would be time to look around in the shops since they are right off the pier. The ride is a little bumpy and again it's a very poor area, but a very enjoyable day .

kk

Steve, I wanted to ask you a question about the transportation from the ship....

I reserved a private palapa for my husband and I. Thought the small cost would be worth the peace of mind knowing we would have a private area to ourselves. Mark definitely gave me the impression in our communication that great service for his guests is very important to him!

I read that it takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes to get to the beach. Is that accurate and if so did the ride seem long and hot? I can already anticipate my husband not enjoying that portion of the excursion :)!

I want to be prepared on the best time to leave the island so we aren't stressed about getting back to our ship on time!

The ride from the pier to Maya Chan was in Air Conditioned vans...in all honesty the AC in the van we were in didn't do much...however we simply opened the windows and the ride was comfortable. It took about 20 minutes to get there. The return trip as mentioned above was in pre-paid individual taxi's called when you wanted to leave. The AC in the taxi worked fine and these guys moved a quite a bit faster....return trip was more like 15 minutes.

• 2 months later...
The ride from the pier to Maya Chan was in Air Conditioned vans...in all honesty the AC in the van we were in didn't do much...however we simply opened the windows and the ride was comfortable. It took about 20 minutes to get there. The return trip as mentioned above was in pre-paid individual taxi's called when you wanted to leave. The AC in the taxi worked fine and these guys moved a quite a bit faster....return trip was more like 15 minutes.

We were there in June when the Oasis stopped in Costa Maya. We had to wait for the entire party to show up (a man checked our names off as we showed up). Waited for probably 25-30 minutes before we could leave. Took at least a half hour to get there. There were no taxis or vans taking us. All of us were put on a bus to the resort. On the return trip, we had a taxi.

We were in Maya Chan last week. The day before our arrival the eye of huricane Kyle went over the area. We were told that most of the palm trees had been knocked down and that other damage had been sustained. We had booked as a group with fellow CC's off the Solstice about 30 or so and they arranged for free transportation and a reduced group rate. Upon arrival at the port we learned of the damage and a few decided to no go. The trip to Mya Chan is an experience in itself over very bumpy roads and the obvious damage created by Kyle and other storms well evident......we were fearing the worst. On arrival we were warmly greeted and told that they had done their best to address the storm damage......frankly one would not have known there was a storm. Apparently they had 30 people working to get the place back into shape prior to our arrival......the only thing that we did see was a man cleaning up the sea grass which has washed up in the storm. The place was otherwise immaculate with sand all freshly raked, palm trees replanted ....... the service excellent and the hospitality inviting. The pictures of previous postings well represent the location. They had plenty of water toys to play on including kyaks and water tubes that had a convient place to hold refreshments. In the water there is a fair amount of sea grass which is natural and support various sea life which may not appeal to everyone.

Lunch was simple but very good with chicken, meat and fish tacos all freshly prepared and very tasty with onions, guacamole and hot sauce to add. There was also a nice bean soup. They were very liberal with the drinks or beers including making sure we all had travelers for the trip back to the ship. They were very accomodating to our group and they even turned away other people at the door as they did not want to over crowd the facility. We very much enjoyed and I believe all of us on our group did so as well..... I would recommend and go back next time in Costa Mya.

• 3 months later...

I visited the Maya Chan Beach Resort on 12/13 during my Norwegian Epic cruise. My only watchout is if and when you book (and I highly recommend it) if your instructions include an apology about the road (they're working on getting it updated), do not simply picture a quarter mile gravel road like I did. 20 minutes of the drive was over a paved road that had so many potholes that our driver had to zigzag back and forth constantly. Be appreciative of that because when we did hit a pothole -- ouch! Was the experience worth this road, however? Absolutely!

I believe my boyfriend and I were one of the first to book that day because we had one of the biggest private shaded areas that included a couch and hammock. That was right up my relaxing alley! The service was impeccable as they constantly made sure you had a drink including right when you stepped off the shuttle upon arrival. The taco lunch was good. Chips and Salsa served mid-morning were good.

They offered an organized kayak and snorkel tour that we did not participate in. After lunch, my boyfriend did use a kayak for his free-riding pleasure. They also had cycles available, but like I said, I was into relaxing. They had a mini-golf game which was interesting (sand, weird obstacles, etc.). I retired after one hole of frustration. My boyfriend excelled at it.

The staff was friendly and decked out in Santa hats. Preston was in charge of all the entertainment and was wonderfully energetic and funny. Mark, one of the co-owners, was very cooperative and willing to please.

Simply, it was a good time and if you're looking for affordable relaxing without hiccups, Maya Chan is highly recommended.

Archived