Tips Ettiquette

Tips on Thompson Cruises are included in the price. But if you feel you have got a good service from the Ships Crew then you should slip them a Tip. Just like we do at restaurants. I normally give them a tenner each, (per week). Normally amounts to about 100 pounds in total for a two week cruise. Not bad if the service is good.

Although

Dont agree with the other Cruise Companys taking the money directly out of your on-board account. The effect of this is that the staff know they are getting a tip whether they are helpful or not. The Cruise Company's should pay adequate wages for their own staff and not expect the tourists to top up thier wages. I feel that if individuals provide you with a good service then you should reward them. If they dont "they get nought". :D

Had to laugh last year on Destiny. The last night in the restaurant was nearly empty. A lot of people decided to eat upstairs in the Lido. Perhaps they did not want to feel awkward by not giving the table staff a tip. I always tip the lads on the table because the three of them did a brilliant job. Always had a full glass of wine. Didnt give the Mitredee (spelling), a penny. He didnt do anything for me except say hollo.;)

Tips on Thompson Cruises are included in the price. But if you feel you have got a good service from the Ships Crew then you should slip them a Tip. Just like we do at restaurants. I normally give them a tenner each, (per week). Normally amounts to about 100 pounds in total for a two week cruise. Not bad if the service is good.

Although

Dont agree with the other Cruise Companys taking the money directly out of your on-board account. The effect of this is that the staff know they are getting a tip whether they are helpful or not. The Cruise Company's should pay adequate wages for their own staff and not expect the tourists to top up thier wages. I feel that if individuals provide you with a good service then you should reward them. If they dont "they get nought". :D

Had to laugh last year on Destiny. The last night in the restaurant was nearly empty. A lot of people decided to eat upstairs in the Lido. Perhaps they did not want to feel awkward by not giving the table staff a tip. I always tip the lads on the table because the three of them did a brilliant job. Always had a full glass of wine. Didnt give the Mitredee (spelling), a penny. He didnt do anything for me except say hollo.;)

Is this not effectively what Thomsons actually do?

Can't imagine them paying that high a wage (otherwise everyone would want to go and work for them), so the logical conclusion is that effectively (even though it is not paid on your on board account) you are actually given no alternative but to pay your tips which are clearly amortised into the total holiday cost.

Is this not effectively what Thomsons actually do?

Can't imagine them paying that high a wage (otherwise everyone would want to go and work for them), so the logical conclusion is that effectively (even though it is not paid on your on board account) you are actually given no alternative but to pay your tips which are clearly amortised into the total holiday cost.

This might account for why Thomsons crews look happy. They are getting more because a small amount of your cost is given in addition to wages PLUS happy cruisers tip them anyway :)

Or are they just happy people anyway?

I'd like to hear people's opinions on this? Im nearly sure the online brochure said tips are included in the price (or did I just make this up)

the brochure does stated tips are already taken care of, but a friend told me today some ships do charge tips daily to your on board account(approx £7 per person per day) they informed the customer service desk they didnt want these tips adding to their account so they were removed, other people who had over heard them did the same.

We are only going to tip the people we want to tip as well, but it's worth checking your on board account regulary to ensure nothing has been charged that shouldnt be, as mistakes can be made

This might account for why Thomsons crews look happy. They are getting more because a small amount of your cost is given in addition to wages PLUS happy cruisers tip them anyway :)

Or are they just happy people anyway?

Dave my general experience is, that apart from MSC crew always look happy. It is part of their job spec.

To see the best of crew service levels Royal Caribbena take a lot of beating. GEnuine smiles, happy to engage in conveersation at your instigation. They represent all that is good about staff on cruise ships.

Garyorient.

We are the philosipher arnt we. !

Clearly Thompsons pay their staff, albeit maybe at minimum wage (if this exists for foreign registered ships). But we are not in a position to say for sure what Thompsons pay their staff. You "the passenger", are not put into a position, that you have to give the crew tips. You either do or you dont Tip. Unlike the other cruise lines. Thompson prices are still one of the lowest. Yes their ships are old and not as swankie as RCI, Princess etc etc, but you go to the same ports and the service provided is excellent. Most of the other lines do not pay their staff at all. Their wages are made up from the Tips recieved from the On-Board accounts. I know a girl from Dublin who has worked for Celebration as a bar person. This is how she got paid. She even said she did very nicely out of it, Getting approx 3000 dollars a month. Food and board paid for. :p

Besides im not getting into this old argument about whether we should or should not tip. You obviously are looking to start this discussion up again, which has been covered on numerous occasions. So your on your own mate. Im off in 10 days on the Celebration and if I think the staff deserve a tip then I shall gladly slip them a Note or two.

Garyorient.

We are the philosipher arnt we. !

Clearly Thompsons pay their staff, albeit maybe at minimum wage (if this exists for foreign registered ships). But we are not in a position to say for sure what Thompsons pay their staff. You "the passenger", are not put into a position, that you have to give the crew tips. You either do or you dont Tip. Unlike the other cruise lines. Thompson prices are still one of the lowest. Yes their ships are old and not as swankie as RCI, Princess etc etc, but you go to the same ports and the service provided is excellent. Most of the other lines do not pay their staff at all. Their wages are made up from the Tips recieved from the On-Board accounts. I know a girl from Dublin who has worked for Celebration as a bar person. This is how she got paid. She even said she did very nicely out of it, Getting approx 3000 dollars a month. Food and board paid for. :p

Besides im not getting into this old argument about whether we should or should not tip. You obviously are looking to start this discussion up again, which has been covered on numerous occasions. So your on your own mate. Im off in 10 days on the Celebration and if I think the staff deserve a tip then I shall gladly slip them a Note or two.

And you clearly have been on RCI, Princess etc to deem them as swankie (sic).

Not sure who Celebration actually are.

I am not sure why you think I am searching for an arguement, but you appear to me no different to the apologists that I read on the RCI, Celebrity and other Cruise operator sections of CC. Anyone who appears to criticise your beloved favourite line is, by definition the spawn of the devil who should be reviled.

It is a fact that the perception of "cheap" when used in conjunction with Thompson is falacious when compared with other cruise lines. There are always bargains to be had. I have mentioned elsewhere a cruise I took lasat year to the Norweigan Fjords out of Copenhagen which cost me £425pp for an inside cabin for a 5 night cruise including flights, transfers and gratuities with the supposedly "Swankie" (sic)RCI in the middle of the summer holidays.

Now for my part, that is as cost effective as anything you could get on

Thompson, but I am sure you will find a reason for arguing with me. Probably on the basis of itinerary, duration or other such nonsense.

All I am saying and would always say is to open your mind, broaden your horizons and wash those pronconceived cobwebs away.

Enough cliches for you?;)

the brochure does stated tips are already taken care of, but a friend told me today some ships do charge tips daily to your on board account(approx £7 per person per day) they informed the customer service desk they didnt want these tips adding to their account so they were removed, other people who had over heard them did the same.

We are only going to tip the people we want to tip as well, but it's worth checking your on board account regulary to ensure nothing has been charged that shouldnt be, as mistakes can be made

The brochure is correct for Thomsons ships. Tips are included in the price you pay, there is no £7 per day or other such nonsense. You can of course slip a few bob to your crew member of choice.

I'd like to hear people's opinions on this? Im nearly sure the online brochure said tips are included in the price (or did I just make this up)

We always tip at the start of our holiday and at the end to ensure extra special service. We did this on Thomson Dream - 8 - June -22 June and we had the best table and service every night. Surely if you pay a lot of money for your holiday a tip at the start and end is well worth while for great service. I would recommend the Orion for your evening meal - great menus and waiter service. We did not like the self service restaurant - poor selection of cold cuts and hot food - give it a miss unless you just want a coffee and toast.

We always tip at the start of our holiday and at the end to ensure extra special service. We did this on Thomson Dream - 8 - June -22 June and we had the best table and service every night.

Good idea. Stupid question but does everyone use Euros when tipping

I always tip the room steward wine and table waiters. I also tip some of the other staff I have gotten to know more than others. I give around 10 Euro a week and 25 to the room steward. After my 2 weeks cruise I have given about 200 Euro and do not grudge a penny of it. They do a great job.

Billy.

We always give a tip, not a lot, but something. The cabin boy and waiting staff are all given £10 each. I guess we could give more but a hell of a lot of people give nothing at all. And I much prefer the Thomson's way of doing things that some of the other cruise lines where you are practically forced to tip. Ceases to be a tip in my opinion.

have been four cruises on thomson SPIRIT youmay not get same waiters every night as it is open dinning.

on the last nigt there was a bowl at rear of dinning room for anyone who wanted to tip dinning room staff.

have been four cruises on thomson SPIRIT youmay not get same waiters every night as it is open dinning.

on the last nigt there was a bowl at rear of dinning room for anyone who wanted to tip dinning room staff.

On my last 13 nighter on Spirit I sat at the same table each evening. The trick is to go to dinner early, say 7pm and when you go in just ask to sit with waiters Joe & Fred etc. Worked like a charm.

We always tip our cabin steward, and on Destiny tipped the table and wine waiters as we were on fixed dining and had built up a good rapport with them.

On Celebration we barely had the same waiters twice and as a group of six were met with grimaces at the door so didn't tip the dining room staff I'm afraid.

Carol x

I don't tip for the simple reason that you only can tip the people you see - you may enjoy the waiter service and tip the dining room waiter - but what about the chefs etc ? Likewise the bar waiters - what about those behind the bar and behind the scenes. I appreciate you can not tip everyone but it is not fair on those who work just as hard behind the scenes to miss out. Thomson state tips are included - so that is the policy we follow - I know many will disagree with our opinion. Do any of you who tip give a tip to the security people at the gangway ? I bet few if any do but you see those every day and they are pleasant to you also.

On my last 13 nighter on Spirit I sat at the same table each evening. The trick is to go to dinner early, say 7pm and when you go in just ask to sit with waiters Joe & Fred etc. Worked like a charm.

i was only pointing this out about open dinnig as some people like to sit with diferent dinners each night.

we did two cruises on spirit last year and sat at same table every night .our waiters were SAM & JOHN as yousaid it worked like a charm , they could not do enough for us.

we also dinned around 7pm.

i was only pointing this out about open dinnig as some people like to sit with diferent dinners each night.

we did two cruises on spirit last year and sat at same table every night .our waiters were SAM & JOHN as yousaid it worked like a charm , they could not do enough for us.

we also dinned around 7pm.

OK, I find that if it is open dining I prefer to eat early as there are no queues and plenty of spare seats. For me travelling solo I can then choose the same table if the waiters and table companions were OK. For fixed dining I prefer late sitting as you get the guaranteed table.

On Destiny this summer the main dining room had open seating on the first night and for all lunches and breakfasts. Interestingly you could not choose where to sit as they filled up the restaurant from the back forward, logical I suppose.

Archived