Glacier Point Wilderness Safari Vs Kenali Fjords

runner5

I was wondering what the difference was between the Glacier Point Wildernes Safari in Skagway and the Kenali Fjords? They are both Fjords is it that Kenali is best to do in Seward and Glacier Point best excurision in Skagway? Would I see similar things on both? Is it redundant to do both?

My family did both of these tours six years ago. I highly recommend both. It was quite a while ago, but here is what sticks in my mind

Kenai Fjords (out of Seward) - Orcas. Boat captain found a pod of orcas and we made our way over to them slowly. As we approached the orcas came to us. They were all around and under the boat. Surfacing, taking a look at us at a little more than arms length it seemed. Scenery was also fantastic.

Glacier Point Wilderness Safari (out of Skagway) - Highlight of the cruise for me. Davidson glacier was surreal. You paddle canoes across waters that are almost pristine, large chunks of ice floating by, total quiet except for growling of the glacier. It was this type of experience that has us going back to Alaska this year for the first time since 2004.

These are two totally different tours. The Kenai Fjords is about varied wildlife with their boat tours, and a glacier visit. You need at least 6 hours on the water. Glacier Safari, is shorter and more about the modes of travel and glacier priority. Wildlife is not generally seen.

The wildlife out of Seward is not always orcas, although there are a couple resident pods. You do see sea otters, sea lions, puffins, just about always. Plenty of other birds. Sometimes humpbacks, bears, mt. Goats etc

Archived