Uh-oh...special pricing is only w/air included!

kymbakitty

Great email special from an online agency day before yesterday--I'm sure many of you rec'd it as well. Heck, HAL is probably offering the same thing direct and it probably isn't that much of a special at all-ha!

Anyway, the "special" pricing must be booked today (3 day sale) and it includes AIR. Well, that's not always so great.

We are looking at a cruise that would leave Rome (from SFO) and return to SFO from FLL. Does anyone have a clue what kind of airfare HAL books for their passengers.

We've always avoided having the airline book air because they have been known to have people take flights that connect more times that a hipbone, not to mention horrific layovers. But if we book the special, we are locked into this air thing.

The rep also told me that the $86 transfers are really a great bargain because they airport in Rome is about an hour and a half from the pier (?)....I suppose all/any airlines could that far from the pier...but that struck me as kind of hum...what airport are they using?

Thanks for any info....we have to decide today.

Dawn

The rep also told me that the $86 transfers are really a great bargain because they airport in Rome is about an hour and a half from the pier (?)....I suppose all/any airlines could that far from the pier...but that struck me as kind of hum...what airport are they using?
Yep, the Rome International airport is outside of - Rome. Rome is not a port city. Civitavecchia is the port. The price for transfers isn't bad. Not great, but not bad either. We used Stefano with Rome Cabs this past Oct and did pay less pp, but there were also 6 of us.

The airport in Rome (not on the coast of Italy) is an hour and a half from Ciivitavecchi (the pier). So that is not odd in any way.

My parents used HAL's air arrangements this spring to go from OHare to FLL and then Rome to OHare. They asked for an air deviation and could then pick their days (they flew into Florida several days early and left Rome several days later) and flights. It worked out fine and it was much cheaper at that time than booking on their own. Sometimes air included is a great deal, sometimes it is not.

Do some comparison shopping and find flights that are the best for your plans.

Have fun.

We flew from CLT (Charlotte) to Rome in May for our cruise. The price was around $1200 pp for a direct flight. We did not book air through HAL as there were 5 of us. We had gotten two staterooms at a good deal. The first an inside with a special on the third passenger for $199 and the second a verandah during the verandah sale. We booked the rooms during two different sales. We also did not take the transfers through HAL and instead took the train from the airport to Termini as that was close to our b&b. We just bought our tickets at the airport with a Capital One credit card to avoid foreign transaction surcharge fees. The fare is 15 E pp for the Leonardo Express train.

diane

Pull out your atlas/globe/Google-earth...

Most big European cities are located along _rivers_, not the ocean....

Pull out your atlas/globe/Google-earth...

Most big European cities are located along _rivers_, not the ocean....

Sorry, that really was not the intent of my inquiry. We have a HUGE map in our office and I did see that after speaking with the rep yesterday--not a big deal at all.

I really want to know more about the experiences of fellow cruisers when the airfare was left up to the HAL. It is going to be a 16 night cruise as it is...so it is unlikely that we will request additional days.

The transfer is a non-issue...but what type of flights arranged on passenger's behalf is because I don't want 5 connections or 5 hour layovers and with this "special" it includes the air.

Thanks!!!!

Dawn

HAL used to allow an air deviation fee and with that you can (almost always) select the flight of your choice. You might inquire if that is a possibility. Of course, if you add the air deviation fee, your savings shrink. If I recall correctly, the fee used to be $50 pp. We haven't used HAL air since forever ago so don't know if it still applies.

The others are all correct about the port to airport distance.

I'd make SURE that air deviation is available if you want that. Also, if you are a 3 or 4-star Mariner (have previously sailed over 75-days on HAL), one of the perks is a waiver of air deviation fees. From the HAL site:

How does the waiver of air deviation fees work?

Eligible guests purchasing air transportation through Holland America Line can request air deviation fees be waived for guests traveling under the same booking number, limited to one-time per booking.

HAL used to allow an air deviation fee and with that you can (almost always) select the flight of your choice. You might inquire if that is a possibility. Of course, if you add the air deviation fee, your savings shrink. If I recall correctly, the fee used to be $50 pp. We haven't used HAL air since forever ago so don't know if it still applies.

The others are all correct about the port to airport distance.

The fee is now $75 pp per change. If you call on Tues. and request an arrival 2 days before the cruise, a fee, if you call back on Friday and request a specfiic flight on British Air, a fee. In my example the cost would be $150 pp. If the airfare is more for your specific flights than what HAL would have booked, you also pay the additional fare. Important to have your ducks-in-a-row before you make the call.

Great email special from an online agency day before yesterday--I'm sure many of you rec'd it as well. Heck, HAL is probably offering the same thing direct and it probably isn't that much of a special at all-ha!

Anyway, the "special" pricing must be booked today (3 day sale) and it includes AIR. Well, that's not always so great.

We are looking at a cruise that would leave Rome (from SFO) and return to SFO from FLL. Does anyone have a clue what kind of airfare HAL books for their passengers.

We've always avoided having the airline book air because they have been known to have people take flights that connect more times that a hipbone, not to mention horrific layovers. But if we book the special, we are locked into this air thing.

Thanks for any info....we have to decide today.

Dawn

I may be confused about your ships itinerary & not sure what cruise you are actually thinking about..It looks to me like you have open jaw air...

Believe you are thinking about Air to Rome from SFO & you booking a Trans-Atlantic cruise from Rom to FLL..Then you need air from FLL back to SFO..If that's the case, IMO HAL can get better rates on open jaw air fares than passengers can..

Agree with others, that $86 pp HAL transfer might be well worth it as the transfer also includes taking your luggage from the Airport to the Pier..Also if there is any kind of air traffic delay HAL will assume responsibility for you to get you to the next port....There also could be traffic delays in Rome & it could take longer to get to the pier..Been there & done that & was very happy we took the transfer years ago...

Are you a Mariner? As others mentioned, Three star & four star Mariner can get a waiver of air deviation fees...If you have not reached the three star level yet, it still might be worth your while to pay for the Air deviation fee..On a Trans Atlantic on NCL, several years ago, NCL booked us on Lufthansa via FRA...Also did a HAL Trans-Atlantic from BCN, & HAL also used Lufthansa via FRA....Only one stop from MIA..It could be that LH gave the cruise lines the best open jaw rates..

Cheers....:)Betty

I may be confused about your ships itinerary & not sure what cruise you are actually thinking about..It looks to me like you have open jaw air...

Believe you are thinking about Air to Rome from SFO & you booking a Trans-Atlantic cruise from Rom to FLL..Then you need air from FLL back to SFO..If that's the case, IMO HAL can get better rates on open jaw air fares than passengers can..

Agree with others, that $86 pp HAL transfer might be well worth it as the transfer also includes taking your luggage from the Airport to the Pier..Also if there is any kind of air traffic delay HAL will assume responsibility for you to get you to the next port....There also could be traffic delays in Rome & it could take longer to get to the pier..Been there & done that & was very happy we took the transfer years ago...

Are you a Mariner? As others mentioned, Three star & four star Mariner can get a waiver of air deviation fees...If you have not reached the three star level yet, it still might be worth your while to pay for the Air deviation fee..On a Trans Atlantic on NCL, several years ago, NCL booked us on Lufthansa via FRA...Also did a HAL Trans-Atlantic from BCN, & HAL also used Lufthansa via FRA....Only one stop from MIA..It could be that LH gave the cruise lines the best open jaw rates..

Cheers....:)Betty

Trust me, this is the ONLY reason we are even considering going with a cruiseline air package (open jaw). In fact, I was never able to "beat" a cruiseline's air when we stopped/started in different cities. And you are absolutely correct...SFO to Rome and FLL back to SFO.

I am so used to doing the air myself though...it just makes me a tad bit anxious to know I am leaving it entirely up to HAL. I don't know why a deviation fee would apply to us...we don't plan on staying longer.

We've only been on one other HAL (11 cruises total), so I don't think I have any status other than we have a Mariner #....

Thanks.

As you are on the westcoast, it wouldn't surprise me to see HAL book your air with a forced overnight.

This means they would fly you in a day early... and then there would a hotel expense involved.

I would double check with whomever you are booking about the forced overnight.

As you are on the westcoast, it wouldn't surprise me to see HAL book your air with a forced overnight.

This means they would fly you in a day early... and then there would a hotel expense involved.

I would double check with whomever you are booking about the forced overnight.

That is surprising....anytime we fly to FLL (from California) it is just a given that the cruiseline puts you up in a hotel as part of the package. No question because that is the only way they can get you there in time.

Things must have really changed in that department!

Very strange that HAL doesn't do this....hum.

Dawn

Trust me, this is the ONLY reason we are even considering going with a cruiseline air package (open jaw). In fact, I was never able to "beat" a cruiseline's air when we stopped/started in different cities. And you are absolutely correct...SFO to Rome and FLL back to SFO.

I am so used to doing the air myself though...it just makes me a tad bit anxious to know I am leaving it entirely up to HAL. I don't know why a deviation fee would apply to us...we don't plan on staying longer.

We've only been on one other HAL (11 cruises total), so I don't think I have any status other than we have a Mariner #....

Thanks.

I have to say that we flew from CLT to Rome and returned Gatwick to CLT and it was cheaper than round trip airfare to Rome and back. So I am not sure I agree that it is always more expensive to fly stopping and starting in different cities. For us HAL's air package was more expensive, even our PCC said it wasn't worth it. She said we would do better booking it on our own.

diane

I have to say that we flew from CLT to Rome and returned Gatwick to CLT and it was cheaper than round trip airfare to Rome and back. So I am not sure I agree that it is always more expensive to fly stopping and starting in different cities. For us HAL's air package was more expensive, even our PCC said it wasn't worth it. She said we would do better booking it on our own.

diane

In this case, the air add on is $766. There is no way we could get airfare from SFO to Rome and then FLL back to SFO for that much.

For me, unless I am using miles/points, I find the airlines seem to offer a better price--unless, of course, the airfare is RT from the same airport.

Thanks.

Sorry, that really was not the intent of my inquiry. We have a HUGE map in our office and I did see that after speaking with the rep yesterday--not a big deal at all.

I really want to know more about the experiences of fellow cruisers when the airfare was left up to the HAL. It is going to be a 16 night cruise as it is...so it is unlikely that we will request additional days.

The transfer is a non-issue...but what type of flights arranged on passenger's behalf is because I don't want 5 connections or 5 hour layovers and with this "special" it includes the air.

Thanks!!!!

Dawn

I assume you're referring to the Rome/Ft. Lauderdale T.A. October 18th. I'm on that with air supplied by HAL. I think it's a good deal:

LAX to OHare, then Ohare to Rome

Ft. Lauderdale to Dallas, then Dallas to LAX

No big layovers nor airline switching.

Hope this helps.

I assume you're referring to the Rome/Ft. Lauderdale T.A. October 18th. I'm on that with air supplied by HAL. I think it's a good deal:

LAX to OHare, then Ohare to Rome

Ft. Lauderdale to Dallas, then Dallas to LAX

No big layovers nor airline switching.

Hope this helps.

What would be your guess if it were SFO....still Ohare/Dallas?

And are you guessing? How do you know....I'm interested.

Thanks!!!!

Dawn

What would be your guess if it were SFO....still Ohare/Dallas?

And are you guessing? How do you know....I'm interested.

Thanks!!!!

Dawn

I have no idea how SFO would be handled, just mentioning details from my booking.

For our transatlantic this May we booked our flight through HAL. We just wanted one way - London to Miami.

We chose the airline, the flight (direct) and which day we wanted to fly (4 days before cruise).

We looked at one way air fares and found them to be very expensive - in fact it would have been cheaper to book a return and not use the return ticket.

HAL's price was a lot less than we could find. We didn’t have to pay extra but that maybe because we are 3 star mariners.

The other thing to bear in mind, unless you are staying in Rome a few nights before the cruise, is that if the flight is delayed you are in a better position if you booked it through HAL.

Archived