Bernard's Tour in St Maarten...is it a good tour

2thesea

Doesn't sound like Bernard was concerned enough about his reputation from my review with Thomas to ensure that never happened again. I know exactly how you felt about your tour. Bummed out.:(

Did you send your review and comments to Bernard or were you thinking he would see your review here? I'd be willing to bet that Bernard doesn't have time to crack open Cruise Critic and search out mentions. BOTH of you need to write him; copy/paste what you've said here plus any other facts, etc...let him know. Please report back here what you hear from him. I can't imagine him ignoring 2 different people on 2 different tours with the same issues with Thomas.

Thomas is ruining his reputation. Bernard needs to be enlightened.

Did you send your review and comments to Bernard or were you thinking he would see your review here? I'd be willing to bet that Bernard doesn't have time to crack open Cruise Critic and search out mentions. BOTH of you need to write him; copy/paste what you've said here plus any other facts, etc...let him know. Please report back here what you hear from him. I can't imagine him ignoring 2 different people on 2 different tours with the same issues with Thomas.

Thomas is ruining his reputation. Bernard needs to be enlightened.

I did already about a week ago. Willbecruisin said Bernard was concerned and wanted me to. Did exactly that copy/paste and emailed it to his yahoo addy.

I am emailing Bernard again.

He had replied to me and said he never received any email from you:confused:

I did not reply back as I thought maybe it was "hung up" in cyber space last I emailed with him. He had asked me to get your email but that is not allowed on the CC Boards. I do not work for him, I am just a repeat customer who has never, ever had a bad experience. I know how hard Bernard works and how much pride he takes in his work and how very upset he will be about all of this as he was very upset when I emailed him in the first place.

I have been following this thread to see the outcome from his reply.

bernard1332002@yahoo.com

This is his email.

We took Bernard's Tour last week while in port on The Eclipse. Thomas was our driver. While no one got injured to my knowledge, it was a very unispiring and disappointing tour.

First, my email confirmation said to be at the meeting place at 9:00 a.m. I was there, but the tour did not leave until 10:30 a.m. Others had different, and later, times on their confirmation. As far as I was concerned that was wasted time and I was aggravated.

Second, Thomas was not very exciting as a tour guide. As others have pointed out, he was a driver. There was very little commentary and when there was, he was hard to hear and understand.

I took the tour because I wanted to go to Maho Beach and his is the only tour that included that stop. Orient Beach was ok. We had a 1 hour stop - long enough to grab a bite to eat, not to swim. We only had 30 minutes in Marigot - not long enough to do anything. And 30 minutes at Maho. We had to leave before the big planes arrived but did get to see a departure.

Had the tour left on time, we could have had more time at Marigot and actually seen something other than the bathroom and the local market selling trinkets and sourvenirs. And more time at Maho. As promised in his description.

No good recommendation from me. Did not leave with a postive feeling about St. Maarten based on this experience.

So sorry. I just emailed Bernard and got an immediate reply. He really wants to hear from you both! Try replying from your original confirmation?? He also stated he will be happy to call you but again I can't provide that info on the boards.

bernard1332002@yahoo.com

or http://www.bernardstours.com and follow the email link there.

Also if you said 9am that is really 10am Island time. That causes so much confusion during daylight savings. The ships tend to stay on EST time but the Island time is different.

Please try to email him again or feel free to email me @ Janicemc23 at msn dot com.

Probably going to get banned from the boards for this but only trying to help resolve a situation that is getting out of control due to internet and emails not going through?? Bernard is the BEST tour guide we have ever been with. I have gone alone with he and his staff just my daughter and I and have been treated with the utmost respect and have felt so safe and enjoyed and learned so much. We do book private but I have referred many friends to him and all experiences have been positive.

I have also had repeated experiences - all good - with Bernard and his business. I'm touring with him again next week on a private tour with friends that include a travel agent that has never done an extensive tour of the island. He and his staff have always been thorough and courteous, they really care that their guests have a good time. I think what you experienced was a one time thing and I'm sad that it flavored your feel of such a lovely destination.

Please, follow through with this as Willbcruisin suggested. Bernard is a very kind man who is smart enough to know that his customer is what keeps his business running. Beyond all, he works hard and values what he has - so if something is broken, he will want to fix it. I hope you find some resolution and someday, head back to lovely St. Maarten. :)

Okay, I have emailed him again and a copy is below:

Bernard, I tried sending this before since someone on cruise critic told me you wanted me to email you with what happened on our tour.

This was our 2nd time with your tour on December 7th with the 1st being when you were first starting out in 2007 and there was only 4 of us in one van. This guy, Thomas, claimed he was with you from the start of your business.

We were late in leaving from the port to get the tour underway and didn't appreciate it that other cruisers were asked to join and they paid $30 each to fill up the van when the rest of us paid $40 each booked in advance. I know from having the first seat for 2 behind the driver across from front door that the couple paid $30 each for their tour because they asked twice how much is the tour and that was the reply from Thomas and they hadn't paid for it yet. Then the lady said to me at one stop how nice it was for $30 and I believe Thomas heard because he later said all of us had booked in advance.

We did not get you this time, but got Thomas whose main concern was getting to the airport in time to pick up someone that afternoon. He did not know the schedule of the big jets at Maho Beach so we only saw one and another one came in as we were leaving and after most folks in the van asked him to stop so they could take pics thru the windows, he ignored them. Our stop at Marigot was cut short giving us 30 minutes. Marigot is on the French side where all the pastries and shopping huts are. He also moved the van so most of us had a hard time finding it since the island was crowded with 5 ships in port including the Oasis of the Seas. He did not stop at Rima's and claimed no one asked even after several of us asked. He said he only stops if everyone wants to stop and he does not have to stop since it is not in the itineary. I should have gave him my copy of what is on your website that said it stops at Rima's Note: Shopping at the Rima's store will be for 20 minutes [if time allows]. We had high hopes for this tour but our driver did not go along the way and tell us anything of what we were seeing. Once in a while he would point out something but we did not learn anything of the island. Have no idea why he had to stop for lettuce to feed the iguanas which cut into our tour time when he could have done this before he picked us up.

The Rum punch was always given to the back of the van and never made its way to the front and he didn't make sure the folks in the front had any so we just took a soft drink out of the ice chest. He also got perturbed that people would come back to the van with wet bathing suits on but he only gave them 45 minutes at Orient so not sure what he expected. They also got fussed at for sand on them as well. Apparently these mini-bus vans are rented as they were larger than a typical van.

At the iguana stop, the first stop, someone got their finger bit by an iguana and Thomas did not have a first aid kit and the man was dripping with blood. Did not get a close look but the man was given an ice cube from the ice chest to put on his finger and Thomas did not do anything else. I have not researched about iguana bites but really? No bandaids or antiseptic to put on the wound? I believe the man's wife gave him something to wrap around his finger.

Kathy

Very disappointed and had waited for years to come to St. Maarten again and do your tour.

Okay, I have emailed him again and a copy is below:

Bernard, I tried sending this before since someone on cruise critic told me you wanted me to email you with what happened on our tour.

This was our 2nd time with your tour on December 7th with the 1st being when you were first starting out in 2007 and there was only 4 of us in one van. This guy, Thomas, claimed he was with you from the start of your business.

We were late in leaving from the port to get the tour underway and didn't appreciate it that other cruisers were asked to join and they paid $30 each to fill up the van when the rest of us paid $40 each booked in advance. I know from having the first seat for 2 behind the driver across from front door that the couple paid $30 each for their tour because they asked twice how much is the tour and that was the reply from Thomas and they hadn't paid for it yet. Then the lady said to me at one stop how nice it was for $30 and I believe Thomas heard because he later said all of us had booked in advance.

We did not get you this time, but got Thomas whose main concern was getting to the airport in time to pick up someone that afternoon. He did not know the schedule of the big jets at Maho Beach so we only saw one and another one came in as we were leaving and after most folks in the van asked him to stop so they could take pics thru the windows, he ignored them. Our stop at Marigot was cut short giving us 30 minutes. Marigot is on the French side where all the pastries and shopping huts are. He also moved the van so most of us had a hard time finding it since the island was crowded with 5 ships in port including the Oasis of the Seas. He did not stop at Rima's and claimed no one asked even after several of us asked. He said he only stops if everyone wants to stop and he does not have to stop since it is not in the itineary. I should have gave him my copy of what is on your website that said it stops at Rima's Note: Shopping at the Rima's store will be for 20 minutes [if time allows]. We had high hopes for this tour but our driver did not go along the way and tell us anything of what we were seeing. Once in a while he would point out something but we did not learn anything of the island. Have no idea why he had to stop for lettuce to feed the iguanas which cut into our tour time when he could have done this before he picked us up.

The Rum punch was always given to the back of the van and never made its way to the front and he didn't make sure the folks in the front had any so we just took a soft drink out of the ice chest. He also got perturbed that people would come back to the van with wet bathing suits on but he only gave them 45 minutes at Orient so not sure what he expected. They also got fussed at for sand on them as well. Apparently these mini-bus vans are rented as they were larger than a typical van.

At the iguana stop, the first stop, someone got their finger bit by an iguana and Thomas did not have a first aid kit and the man was dripping with blood. Did not get a close look but the man was given an ice cube from the ice chest to put on his finger and Thomas did not do anything else. I have not researched about iguana bites but really? No bandaids or antiseptic to put on the wound? I believe the man's wife gave him something to wrap around his finger.

Kathy

Very disappointed and had waited for years to come to St. Maarten again and do your tour.

Hello

Please let us know Bernards reply. We are booked with his company and seriously thinking of cancelling due to this and another negative review. Certainly won't get into the van with this "thomas". Even tried to book another tour with Joyce Prince but she was booked for the day.

Hello

Please let us know Bernards reply. We are booked with his company and seriously thinking of cancelling due to this and another negative review. Certainly won't get into the van with this "thomas". Even tried to book another tour with Joyce Prince but she was booked for the day.

No response yet from him but I will post one way or the other if he responds or not with this 2nd emailing.

I know he told me he wanted you to email. As I stated he wanted to call you as well.

It is dark and tours are done but he has vehicles to clean, park and restock. When all of that is finished he then addresses his emails. I sure hope it went through this time as I know he is very upset.

I have sent an email to ask if he has received yours. I will also keep you posted if he replies to me but I don't expect a reply until later in the evening.

I know he told me he wanted you to email. As I stated he wanted to call you as well.

It is dark and tours are done but he has vehicles to clean, park and restock. When all of that is finished he then addresses his emails. I sure hope it went through this time as I know he is very upset.

I have sent an email to ask if he has received yours. I will also keep you posted if he replies to me but I don't expect a reply until later in the evening.

I am just keeping people undated since it was my 2nd email to him. You get such fast responses from him. Since his tours end at 3:30 island time, you would think that his vehicles would be done cleaning and refueling. Its now 7:20 pm island time. I don't think they gave them a cleaning inside every day at least it didn't look that way. Trash picked up perhaps. I am sure they must pick up ice in the morning before the tours since the tours don't meet until 10:20 island time. I do appreciate your concern.

I am also glued to this thread as I sent a reservation request yesterday for a tour in Feb when we are in port. I haven't heard anything yet. Everyone has given him such great reviews except for this Thomas fellow. They say it only takes one bad apple....I really hope you get a response too and that the issue is resolved before any of us go on the tour in the future. It would be so disappointing to have a bad experience with our first trip to St. Maarten.

Bernard has responded at 8:30 pm island time the following is his email (it was more than one bad day and Thomas has only been with him for 2 years and not the start of Bernard's business as Thomas said):

"I regret what transpired that day.This is so unfortunate and deeply apologize for Thomas' actions and behavior.

It still baffles me that Thomas could display such reckless behavior when he has been working with me for the pass two years , I guess he was probably having a bad day but in no circumstance will I accept such unfriendly and despicable attitude.

Please rest assured that this situation has been rectified and we will ensure that if you ever return to St. Maarten we guarantee a free tour for two or will be happy to send you a check of fifty percent of your tour value.

However,we encourage you to return to beautiful St.Marteen where love, ,peace joy and a most memorable vacation experience awaits you"

Hmm this has me concerned as well. We booked a private tour in a month for us and some others who have never been here before. We used Bernard's 3 years ago and had such a great time so we didn't hesitate to do this again. I would hate to get Thomas and have a bad time especially since we are taking "newbies" along.

For those who have booked a private tour, did you hash out your details ahead of time with Bernard as to what you wanted to do? And do you have suggestions of things to do that we might not have covered in our 1st tour with him that was his usual tour? Thanks!

I am glad to see Bernard received your email this time and has responded to you.

Thank you for sharing his reply. I know he is an honorable, hard working man.

I know he can't fix it unless he is made aware and that was very fair of him to offer you a free tour for 2 or to refund 50%. Most companies would not go so above and beyond for some things that are out of their control.

We are just counting the days till we tour with Bernards next week!!

I will for sure do a full review.

As posted previously on this thread, I toured With Bernard Tours on Dec 8/11 and had an exceptional time. Slim was our driver. One of Best tour guide I have had. He was in the same catagory as our tour guide in Cairo Egypt who was the head of Egyptian tour guide assocation.

Slims informative talking made our tour pleasureable. I was the person in the front of the bus. The Front Person is the one who sends the booze to the back of the bus with the empty glasses. I made sure their was enough booze and glasses for everyone. It is impossible for the tour guide/driver to hand these things to you.

He inquires how long people want to stay at each place. And most days the large airplanes come at the same time. Also Bernard is the person who collected the money at the pier. Bernard was the person with the itinerary of who is suppose to have booked. Bernard was the person who assigned the drivers.

Don't let a few persons bad experience make you afraid of using Bernard.

By the Way Slims formal name is Thomas. He was not that bad a guide/driver.

Hmm this has me concerned as well. We booked a private tour in a month for us and some others who have never been here before. We used Bernard's 3 years ago and had such a great time so we didn't hesitate to do this again. I would hate to get Thomas and have a bad time especially since we are taking "newbies" along.

For those who have booked a private tour, did you hash out your details ahead of time with Bernard as to what you wanted to do? And do you have suggestions of things to do that we might not have covered in our 1st tour with him that was his usual tour? Thanks!

We had done much research prior to our private tours. We love Pinel, Tijon, iguanas, sea creatures, Maho and experiencing the history. Now we love to have some beach time and Maho in the afternoon. Google things about the Island and see what interests you. Bernard has always given us a fabulous day on the Island. When he took us to Tijon in April it was wonderful as something we had not done yet.http://www.tijon.com/

There is also some great shopping areas as well as wonderful bakeries and other types of foods and goodies. It all depends on what you like to do. Have some ideas and Bernard will do whatever they can that time and traffic permits. Enjoy your private tour!

As posted previously on this thread, I toured With Bernard Tours on Dec 8/11 and had an exceptional time. Slim was our driver. One of Best tour guide I have had. He was in the same catagory as our tour guide in Cairo Egypt who was the head of Egyptian tour guide assocation.

Slims informative talking made our tour pleasureable. I was the person in the front of the bus. The Front Person is the one who sends the booze to the back of the bus with the empty glasses. I made sure their was enough booze and glasses for everyone. It is impossible for the tour guide/driver to hand these things to you.

He inquires how long people want to stay at each place. And most days the large airplanes come at the same time. Also Bernard is the person who collected the money at the pier. Bernard was the person with the itinerary of who is suppose to have booked. Bernard was the person who assigned the drivers.

SO TRUE!!!

We have not toured with Slim but have met him each time we have been to the Island and he always remembers us and is so happy to Welcome us back.

It is unfortunate that some did not have a good experience but knowing Bernard this will not happen again and Slim will be back on track!

I am glad to see Bernard received your email this time and has responded to you.

Thank you for sharing his reply. I know he is an honorable, hard working man.

I know he can't fix it unless he is made aware and that was very fair of him to offer you a free tour for 2 or to refund 50%. Most companies would not go so above and beyond for some things that are out of their control.

We are just counting the days till we tour with Bernards next week!!

I will for sure do a full review.

I understand that but it took 4 years for us to get back to St. Maarten from the first tour with Bernard. What happened that day cannot be undone and Thomas still had another bad day that we know about from the other post here. If it was my business and yes, I am in business for myself, I would make a different offer knowing full well that people are watching on cruisecritic.

Do you think there is two of them? He never said his name was Slim and never did anything close to what you are describing. And you are saying Dec. 8? That is the next day we went? He never asked how long we wanted to stay nor did he know what time the planes came. Bernard did not collect the money at the pier another person did behind the counter with a clipboard. Everyone lined up and Bernard counted the people and how many fitted in what van is where you are led.

Please remember I knew Bernard from 2007 when he was first starting and watched him grow. I came home and posted and posted as I promised him on cruisecritic how great he was. When we took our tour in 2007 there was 4 of us in one van so see how much he has grown?

We have been on other Islands on other tours and had unfortunate things happen. We had booked independently. I have never been offered anything.

When you book through the ship they don't usually offer anything either.

Sometimes on these boards you have to take things with a grain of salt. So many cruisers we have met don't even know what cruise critic is.

What I like you may not and vise versa. What upsets me may not upset you and vise versa.

I do hope you have better luck on your next vacation as it looks by your signature you have many cruises as we do. It's a great addiction. Life is to short so enjoy your next vacation and I wish you many more happy sailings.

We took the tour on December 15th and had Thomas (aka Slim) as our guide. I can say that he worked very hard to ensure that everyone enjoyed the excursion and certainly provided plenty to drink for everyone on our bus. I think there were 15-20 on our bus and I only heard one negative comment the entire excursion. That came from someone who wanted the full two hours at Orient Beach despite horrible (very windy and rough water) conditions. Everyone else on the bus opted for more time at Maho Beach. Thomas kept the tour on time and we visited all of the locations specified in the tour. I would book with Bernard's again and would welcome the opportunity to have Slim as our guide.

Archived