I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

Beautiful capture...I will be visiting your online albums tonight when I have some time to enjoy them. Your photography is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I prefer to create videos combing my still photos with short video clips. You can find them at the You Tube link in my signature.

Hi all……WOW. I just want to say that all your photos are amazing. So many have taken my breath away. You have inspired me.

A few years ago, before our first Princess cruise, I wanted a digital camera. So, I bought myself a little Cannon Power Shot A530, 5 mega pixels, 4X zoom.

So, off I went with a smile on my face because I was convinced I was going to take some amazing photos.

After we came home, I overheard my son tell one of his friends that most of my photos were random, nothing special.

ry%3D480

I was quite proud of some of them.

ry%3D400

Then I came across this thread. I viewed your photos and tried to see what made your photos so special. I’m thinking it’s your fancy cameras. But I’m also seeing what you are taking your photos of; opportunity, imagination. You just happened to be at the right place at the right time to see that sunset, those birds, that cat’s yawn, that spider. I realized that you can’t just walk around; you have to look around for that special shot. And of course, be ready. So, on our next few trips, I was ready.

ry%3D400

ry%3D480

I have since bought myself a little Kodak, 12 mega pixels, 5X zoom. No viewfinder, which I hate, but I can keep it in my pocketbook for those unexpected shots.

ry%3D480

And a Fuji Fine Pix, 14 mega pixels, 24X zoom. I bought it for the zoom. But it’s also a bigger camera.

ry%3D480

I still have a lot to learn. I don't think I can ever compete with your pics,

but I’m having fun trying. And I really have to thank you all for opening my eyes.

Teresa

but I’m having fun trying. And I really have to thank you all for opening my eyes.

Well, someone isn't afraid of constructive criticism! Nicely done! :D

You have hit on the great truth of photography: It is not the equipment, it's the vision.

You will notice that many of the great photos on this thread are taken with $1000+ cameras with $1000+ lenses and many are taken with $200 compacts or even camera phones. All have one thing in common and that is that the shooter saw something that struck a chord and used what they had with them to record it. Some are the result of intentional photo excursions but many are the result of, as you said, "being there". ("f/8 and be there" has been the mantra of photojournalists for a long time!)

Don't worry about competing. There are no prizes awarded here. Just a lot of nice people that enjoy photography and photographs...including the fine examples you posted!

Keep shooting and keep enjoying it!

Dave

tere247,

Great post! I echo everything you said. Although I don't post many pics, I read everything on the photo board and have learned a lot, everyone is friendly and willing to share their experiences. I love your photos, especially the bridge and the fountains. You're right, you just never know when a photo op will arise and it pays to be ready.

oceanbums

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :D

Right now I am intiminated by the terminology. Also, I know it'll be a long time before I'm ready for an expensive, high quality camera.

I've read some of the posts and I feel like I am reading a foreign language. Some day I will push myself to get some more of those "FOR DUMMIES" books, Maybe even go to my local Community College and take some courses. But, right now, I'm enjoying my photos. As random as they may be, they all mean something to me.

I know the quality of my photographs will not be as great as those posted on these pages, but I'm hoping to recognize a good photo opportunity when presented to me. And then be able to act on it.

Thanks again for your inspiration.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :D

Just the facts...;)

Right now I am intiminated by the terminology. Also, I know it'll be a long time before I'm ready for an expensive, high quality camera.

I've read some of the posts and I feel like I am reading a foreign language. Some day I will push myself to get some more of those "FOR DUMMIES" books, Maybe even go to my local Community College and take some courses. But, right now, I'm enjoying my photos. As random as they may be, they all mean something to me.

Here is the address of my website. There are several articles geared towards newcomers to the "language":

http://www.pptphoto.com

Check the Glossary at the bottom of the article menu. It is a work in process with a lot of terminology defined.

I know the quality of my photographs will not be as great as those posted on these pages, but I'm hoping to recognize a good photo opportunity when presented to me. And then be able to act on it.

Thanks again for your inspiration.

Again, don't sell yourself short. Your bridge photo is very good and you nailed the "rule of thirds" with the motorcycles.

Anyway, I have always considered my best photos to be the ones I like! :)

Dave

just the facts...;)

here is the address of my website. There are several articles geared towards newcomers to the "language":

http://www.pptphoto.com

check the glossary at the bottom of the article menu. It is a work in process with a lot of terminology defined.

Again, don't sell yourself short. Your bridge photo is very good and you nailed the "rule of thirds" with the motorcycles.

Anyway, i have always considered my best photos to be the ones i like! :)

dave

Rule of thirds?????????:eek:

O.K. it's time now your glossary.:o

Thanks for directing me to your website.;)

Hi all……WOW. I just want to say that all your photos are amazing. So many have taken my breath away. You have inspired me.

A few years ago, before our first Princess cruise, I wanted a digital camera. So, I bought myself a little Cannon Power Shot A530, 5 mega pixels, 4X zoom.

So, off I went with a smile on my face because I was convinced I was going to take some amazing photos.

After we came home, I overheard my son tell one of his friends that most of my photos were random, nothing special.

I was quite proud of some of them.

Then I came across this thread. I viewed your photos and tried to see what made your photos so special. I’m thinking it’s your fancy cameras. But I’m also seeing what you are taking your photos of; opportunity, imagination. You just happened to be at the right place at the right time to see that sunset, those birds, that cat’s yawn, that spider. I realized that you can’t just walk around; you have to look around for that special shot. And of course, be ready. So, on our next few trips, I was ready.

I have since bought myself a little Kodak, 12 mega pixels, 5X zoom. No viewfinder, which I hate, but I can keep it in my pocketbook for those unexpected shots.

And a Fuji Fine Pix, 14 mega pixels, 24X zoom. I bought it for the zoom. But it’s also a bigger camera.

Teresa

I have both a P&S and a better DSLR, Some of my favorite pictures have come from my point and shoot (even though I love my DSLR too).

Thanks for posting your pix!

Expecting our first grandchild....so, we need pictures!

5956772792_b73a93face_z.jpg

5956772126_5c7d35e1bd_z.jpg

While we were shooting, we came upon this....

5931851199_5aa6a923ab_z.jpg

I have never taken my camera for a spin at 3200 ISO before. It was heavily wooded and dark.

Beautiful photos and lovely young lady.

I have both a P&S and a better DSLR, Some of my favorite pictures have come from my point and shoot (even though I love my DSLR too).

DW has a nice Sony DSLR, but I shoot with a Panasonic Lumix 18x zoom FZ28 or 24x zoom FZ40 P&S that cost me less than $300! Her pictures are often better than mine, but I carry a lightweight camera that does not need different lenses. I am lazy :D!

Teresa, I am a novice like yourself and I have only a little point and shoot. Some of the folks on here have a wonderful eye and can turn the most simplest of subjects into the most interesting works of art.

I enjoy all the tips and tutorials but mostly I just love looking at all the wonderful photos. I have used many of them as my background.

I enjoy ALL of the photos posted on the board. :)

DW has a nice Sony DSLR, but I shoot with a Panasonic Lumix 18x zoom FZ28 or 24x zoom FZ40 P&S that cost me less than $300! Her pictures are often better than mine, but I carry a lightweight camera that does not need different lenses. I am lazy :D!

Your pics are so nice, I would have guessed you had a much more expensive camera- it just goes to show that a good photgrapher doesn't always need an expensive set-up.

My daughter and I went to a local garden park a few weeks back; she used her iphone and I took my DSLR. It was hard to tell a difference in quality- hers came out beautifully.

what lens are you guys using for the bees, this was the best i could do with my 55-250 without getting to close and scaring them away

019.jpg

few more shot while walking my dog, been taking my cam out everyday i think im getting better

003.jpg

031.jpg

Last October

2494480110027599206S600x600Q85.jpg

Today

2699414150027599206S600x600Q85.jpg

We have had a lot of snow this winter and it is melting VERY slowly.

The ski places finally closed 10 days ag!

Wow! I thought our summer had been long in coming. We will hit 100 degrees today. That is a little above average but not unusual for this time of the year.

The reflection in your October image is just beautiful.

I did use my camera.

5967189045_a54b3e0c87_z.jpg

This idea was posted on a blog I read, MCPActions.com. This was a lot of fun and it required me to practice my flash technique in order to avoid harsh shadows. It was great practice.

I did use my camera.

5967189045_a54b3e0c87_z.jpg

This idea was posted on a blog I read, MCPActions.com. This was a lot of fun and it required me to practice my flash technique in order to avoid harsh shadows. It was great practice.

Very cool...I may have to abandon the woodworking next weekend and play!

Dave