Converter plugs for Europe

takemewithyou

To the experienced cruisers on Azamara!

I have converter plugs that I used in Europe 20 years or more ago......do you think they will still be usable or have things changed? Should I just buy new ones?

Should probably clarify.....trying to plug my devices in to their outlets.....maybe I should have said plug adapters?

Let me expound on Czrr's post

Az ships have 4 electrical sockets

2 North American

2 European

If you would like to expand your outlet options I would pack

a adapter/converter depending if your electrical device has a built in world converter ...for example many hairdryers have that option

if you hairdryer or other element does..then you would only need a adaptor

I should also mention that the plugs are under the mirror and it's frame and then the vanity begins

if you have an item that needs to plug in and remain flush with the wall...that could be a problem versus a standard plug attached to a electrical cord electrical cord.

Hope this helps

K.

I should have been clearer...I am concerned about plugging things in at the hotel post cruise in Rome, not on the ship.

Things to be plugged in...hairdryer (unless hotel supplies one and they may....I have to check!). Also, camera battery recharger (will try to make sure batteries are recharged before I leave the ship, though) and Kindle - will try to make sure that is charged before I leave the ship, too.

I had a pack of adapters from many years ago and wonder if they will still work.

I'll mention this because it may help others who are electrically challenged (like myself)! I read on the ports of call boards...there is a difference between converters and adapters.....

adapters allow your device to be plugged in to the outlet.

converters are used for things with a motor...like a hairdryer or curling iron that convert the current to what can be used in Europe. I have since learned from the port of call board that I need to make sure my devices will work at different currents by checking them - there should be info stamped on the device.

Also found this link to be helpful: http://www.magellans.com/store/util/ElecWiz?Args

BTW, thank you both for attempting to decifer my questions. I appreciate your contributions to this board and your willingness to answer questions!

:) You both are very helpful. ;)

I should have been clearer...I am concerned about plugging things in at the hotel post cruise in Rome, not on the ship.

Things to be plugged in...hairdryer (unless hotel supplies one and they may....I have to check!). Also, camera battery recharger (will try to make sure batteries are recharged before I leave the ship, though) and Kindle - will try to make sure that is charged before I leave the ship, too.

I had a pack of adapters from many years ago and wonder if they will still work.

I'll mention this because it may help others who are electrically challenged (like myself)! I read on the ports of call boards...there is a difference between converters and adapters.....

adapters allow your device to be plugged in to the outlet.

converters are used for things with a motor...like a hairdryer or curling iron that convert the current to what can be used in Europe.

BTW, thank you both for attempting to decifer my questions. I appreciate your contributions to this board and your willingness to answer questions!

:) You both are very helpful. ;)

Alrighty the battery charger...

look at your literature and see if it has a built in converter...

some battery chargers don't give as much "juice" when they

go through this process, so it might take longer to charge than it normally would

if not you will be need a converter and adaptor

convertor ..converts electrical current

adaptor...adapts the plug

Kindle...I don't own one, but I would make sure that there isn't a special charger that you use internationally.

We travel to Europe a lot by land and for really long trips...

While in Santa Margherita, Italy I picked up a hairdryer

While in Olomouc, Czech Republic...a curling iron

While in Zagreb, Croatia...a AA battery charger

All for a pretty reasonable price, but I was shopping with locals.

If you think you will be traveling to Europe frequently in the future keep your eyes open for "sales" while you wandering the cobblestone streets...

Also, I wanted to add...I would replace the ones you have that are 20 years old..

and thank you for your BTW, you are most welcome!

K.

Thanks, Where2next! I knew you would have the answers!

I have been studying your travel web site because you have visited some of my destinations before and have some nice commentary and videos.

This cruise starts in Venice (overnight) and then visits Split, Kotor, Koper, Itea (Delphi), Corfu, Valletta, Taormina, Sorrento (overnight) and Rome. The sail in and departures from many of these ports are going to just be amazing and they are all new to us! Very excited....:D

Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated!

Takemewithyou - thank you for your kind words. Where2next knew much more about the outlets than I did. I only knew that the hairdryer plugged in, cell phone charger worked, hair straightener worked! I don't pay attention to why or how they work, just glad that they do.

You will love Malta! One of my favorites. If you have the chance to go to Mdina, it is fabulous. Chris, Joan and Flora at http://www.maltatravelnet.com do a fabulous tour. We went last Sept. and had a great time - there is so much to see. We have them booked for a tour for our stop there on the Journey next April.

You have great ports on your cruise. I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful time.

Amazing Itinerary!

If you don't want to do anything realy structured in Malta (one of the most beautiful ports I have EVER been) - wait until everyone is off the ship and head out to road....bargain with the leftover horse drawn buggy rider and pay him to drive you for a few hours all over the place....it is amazing! Afterwards - walk the streets of the town and then find yourself a place to enjoy the view over the docks at a little restaurant and have some salt water mussels ....feed the cats, drink the wine/beer and mosy down to the pier and before getting onboard sit on the dock and enjoy the loveley bars there.... one word of caution.....thieves...be aware and watch your bags ....

In Split - take the morning in Trogir - travel by train....amazing place and then afternoon at Dioclentians Palace!!!! The Best pizza and gelato ---- no KIDDING!!!

In Koper make sure you go to PortoRose and we tried a Wellness spa to take salt pan massages and the mineral waters ...I had a sea shell facial to die for!!!! Nothing in Koper!!! Get out of town.

For sorrento - take Pleasant Tours - mariano Fiorino - he is the best and will give you the most amazing tour! I have used him three times already!!!

Enjoy!!!! If you want more info please let me know!!!

@takemewithyou

For the light-duty stuff (cell phone, iPod, camera, etc.) we always travel with a regular household extension cord. They are usually 6 or 8 ft long and have three (3) plugs at the business end. We travel with 2 cells phones, 2 iPods, 1 camera and, with the triple outlet, we have no problem keeping everything charged up. Plus we need only one (1) accessible electric outlet and one adaptor. We don't do heady-duty stuff, such as curling irons or hair dryers, so there's no need for converters. All our toys take between 100 and 240 Volt.

Btw: Our adaptor plugs are way older than 20 years and still work fine. I see no need to replace them.

My significant other plugged her hair dryer into an outlet at the Radisson in Copenhagen and we think the 220 was to much for the dryer. I did not have a transformer with me, so we quickly pulled the plug and used the one supplied by the hotel.

Archived