Checking a suit carrier

ailuro

We leavein a couple of weeks, and have a question - travelling on the Star from Seattle

Can we check a suit cover rather than a proper garment suitcase? Will it be hung separately or thrown in with the cases and other luggage?

DH does not want his formal wear wrinkled but doesn't want to carry it around from embarkation to getting access to cabin either (It's a kilt so pretty heavy)

Anyone been there, done that?

Thanks

We leavein a couple of weeks, and have a question - travelling on the Star from Seattle

Can we check a suit cover rather than a proper garment suitcase? Will it be hung separately or thrown in with the cases and other luggage?

DH does not want his formal wear wrinkled but doesn't want to carry it around from embarkation to getting access to cabin either (It's a kilt so pretty heavy)

Thanks

Not likely that the suit cover will get the type of handling that you would prefer as checked baggage. I would carry it on or put it in a proper suit bag that folds over and makes a suit case. If you carry it on, there should be a room for people to stash their carryons while waiting for their cabin, and there likely is a place in that room to hang the suit cover.

Thanks

I would imagine that it would be treated the same as any other piece of luggage and we know how luggage handlers are...lol

But remember, there are no mandatory formal nights on NCL cruises. There will be one "dress up or not" night but less than 20% will dress up and most of those will only be shirt/tie and a few suits. Formal clothes are really not necessary on NCL unless you are planning a special night for yourselves...one of the perks of Freestyle... the choice to dress if you want to or the choice to leave the formal duds at home!

We do realise it's formal or not... for us it will be formal, don't often get the chance to all get dressed up:D

Thanks for the info about the room to leave carry on items. We might leave the kilt in a checked suitcase as that can be packed without creasing, and then just carry the jacket and my dress as they ar emnuch lighter than the kilt (8yards of wool weighs a bit!)

Not likely that the suit cover will get the type of handling that you would prefer as checked baggage. I would carry it on or put it in a proper suit bag that folds over and makes a suit case. If you carry it on, there should be a room for people to stash their carryons while waiting for their cabin, and there likely is a place in that room to hang the suit cover.

I completely agree. Carry it onboard with you; when you embark, there is a room on the ship to (temporarily) store luggage while you have lunch and wait for the cabins to be released. Any of the crew assisting with embarkation can point you to the area. After lunch, you can stop by and pick it up on your way to the cabin.

and enjoy your trip to SEA and AK! We sailed the Pearl last month and the weather was awesome!

thanks korgano, we're hoping for some weather the same as you had, it looks a bit damp in the current forecast. We're Scottish though, so it will not be anything out of the ordinary if it's raining in the middle of summer.:D

Don't we get given a deck plan booklet when we board?

Should I print out some deck plans now?:eek:

thanks korgano, we're hoping for some weather the same as you had, it looks a bit damp in the current forecast. We're Scottish though, so it will not be anything out of the ordinary if it's raining in the middle of summer.:D

They do have a deck plan booklet....I know that they are available at the reception desk...can't remember if they automatically give you one somewhere along the way. I would ask for one at the check-in (where they take your picture and your credit card info).

Yes, there was a little deck plan booklet waiting for us in the cabin on the desk when we embarked. They also have them at the purser's desk as well. As I recall it was bright yellow/orange and is about the size of an index card.

enjoy!

Archived