Snorkeling Question

this is gonna sound harsh while it is not intended to be so

in my 35 plus years of snorkeling and diving I've NEVER run into an 'excursion' which carried a supply of perscription eye wear.

I'm SURE some one is going to post a rebutal but that will be an exception to the rule ... not the norm.

Someplace like Discovery Cove has a limited supply ... but we're talking the HIGH END in this case . . .

Sorry ... can you do contacts? Spousal unit and DD snorkel and dive with contacts. {50+ and 20-20 or better here .... eat your carrots}

Thank you for your input.My main reason for posting this question,was my brother in law while vacationing in Hawaii,he was accommodated with special masks.I was hoping the same for the Caribbean.I am hoping to prove you wrong.

Lol,Have a great day

"M":)

Last weekend I was in my local dive shop, buying a new mask, and the shop owner made mention that they can get prescription lens inserts made if I need them. I inquired further, and he said that they stick to the faceplate of the mask, so it is as though you are wearing glasses.

Check your phone book for local dive shops, or ask your eye doctor, how to go about obtaining these.

DH and myself both wear eye glasses & without them our vision is very blurry. I'm looking for info on excursions that we already reserved. Do they accomadate their guests with precription masks?

Thank you

Have a Blessed Day

If there's one in your area, visit a dive shop. They can assist you. If your impairment is simply far or near sightedness, there are diopter correction lenses available off the shelf.

Correction for astigmatism, etc requires ordering. You'll have to provide a prescription. They are expensive. I paid $150 5 or 6 years ago.

I ordered my mask with my prescription in them about 4 years ago and I believe they were around $50. They work great. I ordered them from a well known snorkel place online. I had to get the prescription from my Dr and then called in the order. If you go to your search engine (I use Google) and start typing Snorkel, I believe this place will come up. I'm pretty sure I can't name the store, so I'm trying to be sneaky :D! I am very happy with my mask, I see just as well under the water as above. Good luck!

Several years ago I bought a mask with the diopter type interchangeable lenses. I have really enjoyed it. I bought it at a dive shop very near the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale. I'm not sure if you are crusing out of Fort Lauderdale or even if the dive shop is still in exhistance but it is one of the most wonderful things I have done. They did not have to order anything, everything was in stock and they just inserted the lens and very quickly I was on my way to the cruise ship. I'm sure your local dive shop could help as well.

Since you have decided not to purchase the masks with lenses, you might want to consider taking an old pair of your prescription glasses. The mask will fit over the glasses. These would have to be a pair you do not intend to wear after using them with your mask because the lenses of your glasses will develop some scratches, but if you have an old pair just laying around that you are not using it might work for you. I have done this before I had the mask with the prescription lenses.

I booked privately 2 yrs ago and asked for prescription goggles--they had limited prescriptions available but anything was better than nothing for me. They stopped at a dive shop on the way to pick them up, and I had to pay an extra deposit of course.They worked great. On a land based excursion several years ago we got our snorkels that were included in the excursion at their store and they had prescription ones. For this year I bought prescription goggles online--can't wait to use them next week. By the way, when I went to get my prescription I was due for an exam, and my eye doctor was willing to give me a trial pair of contacts to use;however, my eyes are too dry to tolerate them. You could have gone that route if you had time. Hope you have a good trip!

Archived