Naples Port: AP Tours or Francesco Marrapese?

nic_x

Anyone use either of these drivers/services recently during a visit to the port of Naples? We're going to be there in August, and are looking for a private driver to take our family of four to Pompeii (early, to beat the heat as best we can!) and then on to the Amalfi Coast. We'll probably take the ferry from Sorrento back to the port.

My husband and I have been to the Amalfi Coast before--we spent two days with Carmello Monetti in his taxi seeing Pompeii, Vesuvius, various towns on the coast, and Paestum, so other than Pompeii (which the kids want to see), there's nothing that's a must-do for us. We really liked Carmello, but thought it might be fun to do something else this time, just to have a different experience.

Any feedback on AP Tours or Francesco would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Depends on what you call recent......we used APTours in Nov. 07

Awesome company. Very professional. I have recommended them many times. There was a thread a short while ago with a few posts from the people who did in fact use them and they recently came back and reported they also had a great time with APT.

Thanks, texancruzer...it was actually your earlier posts that helped us to find and research AP Tours! We've looked at many companies/drivers, and AP Tours and Francesco seemed to come out on top for what we want.

BTW...for others reading this...we do recommend Monetti taxi. We're only looking elsewhere because we want to shake things up a bit and get a different experience this time. Carmello Monetti is chatty, but entertaining and very informative, and we had a great time with him. Got to see the usual Amalfi Coast spots, plus some off-the-beaten-path locales. When my husband mentioned that he is originally from NY, Carmello veered off the road for a couple minutes to introduce us to Mario Cuomo's cousin and say, "Hey, I have a New Yorker in the cab today!" :)

Lots of little personal touches, and he was always where he said he'd be, exactly when he said he'd be there whenever we stopped to walk around towns, etc. I've heard that Carmello's son, Raffael (sp?), is also very good.

We had the most wonderful tour with Francesco a few years back. There were 6 of us with very different ideas of what to see and Francesco accomodated us all. We talked about an Italian pastry that a friend recommended on the way to Herculeneam (?) and while we were exploring the ruins he found a pastry shop and bought us a couple to try. His English is perfect (if you go with him, ask him how he learned to speak English). He was very knowledgeable and personable. If we were going back I would use him again.

RealtorLisa,

Do you remember the configuration of Francesco's van? We're a family of four, and the photo on the website shows a van where two people sit facing forward and two sit facing backward. Is that accurate, at least as of your trip? (It may have changed, I don't know!) I have a feeling there'll be a fight not to be the person sitting backward. I imagine it'd make me carsick.

Thanks! nic_x

We also used Francesco in '08 and he was wonderful. Clean car, picked us up on time, stopped for pictures, knew alot about the area, asked us what are interests were, took us to a great ceramic shop and then a great place for lunch in Ravello. Gave us enough time in each place to walk around and explore. I highly recommend him!!!

nic x,

I do not remember anyone having to sit backwards. It would have been me and I know that I didn't. You won't go wrong with him! He has great personal stories and is very knowledgeable on all places Italy!

Lisa

Wanted to come back and thank everyone for the input. We filled out the contact info for Francesco, but didn't hear back (admittedly, I filled out the port info incorrectly the first time, but immediately sent a correction.) It's been over a week, and nada. :(

I also contacted AP Tours and heard back right away. So we are now booked with AP Tours and I think it'll be wonderful.

I have a feeling either way would be great!

Wanted to come back and thank everyone for the input. We filled out the contact info for Francesco, but didn't hear back (admittedly, I filled out the port info incorrectly the first time, but immediately sent a correction.) It's been over a week, and nada. :(

I also contacted AP Tours and heard back right away. So we are now booked with AP Tours and I think it'll be wonderful.

I have a feeling either way would be great!

Are you doing Pompeii with a guide ? If so, have APTours get Pina for you ! She was so great. Answered sooo many questions for me !

My husband and I have seen Pompeii before, but the kids haven't. (All four of us are on this trip.) My husband thought we'd be fine without a guide, using our PodCast of Rick Steves' tour.

I could go either way--with or without a private guide--my concern is more that we don't boil, since we'll be there in mid-August!

Archived