LONG! Carnival Destiny Review & Photos ~ 6-14-10 ~ 5 days to Grand Turk, HMC & Nassau

Here is link to Destiny menus from Oct 2009, 4 night Key West, Cozumel port stops:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575373017niJgfv?vhost=travel&vhost=travel

Here are the Destiny Capers or Destiny Fun Times:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575393757nKdbdy?vhost=travel

Thought information would be a helpful add

• 2 weeks later...

I took the Destiny a couple of years ago to HMC and GT.... I loved it... Honestly it is probably my favorite cruise I have taken.... Then again, they all sorta come in a roaring second. No cruise is a bad on...

This review is great! GT was and still is my favorite destination... My roommate and I rented a Golf Cart and Drove all over the island, we got there just after a hurricane, so it was still more or less demolished. But I loved it, We found this little dirt road and took it out to a lagoon type thing. we found hundreds of conch shells just laying around, we took atleast a dozen home!

I loved it, and I will be going back at some point!

Just a few more feet down the sidewalk is Senor Frogs. (Normally we don't take our son to places like this, but SF has been a regular tradition since we first started cruising. We always stop for a margarita when we sail to ports with a SF.) We find a great space to sit down inside, on their open deck over the water. Not a bad view, huh?

DS sips on his Coke while DH looks out over the turquoise water!

100_3208.jpg?t=1279994935

UP NEXT: more of Nassau!

Couldn't resist--over looking turquoise water meaning the view

or the drink :D ?

Looks cool and great--what was it?

Great Review - thanks so much for sharing the stories and photos. WE are cruising on the Destiny in January and cant wait! :D

Hi! So glad you enjoyed the review! Enjoy your time onboard the Destiny... she is a great ship!!!

BTW ~ we almost booked your same cruise in January! We decided to sail the Inspiration, though because Tampa is a lot closer to home. Maybe we will cross paths at Sea! Happy Sailing!!!

I took the Destiny a couple of years ago to HMC and GT.... I loved it... Honestly it is probably my favorite cruise I have taken.... Then again, they all sorta come in a roaring second. No cruise is a bad on...

This review is great! GT was and still is my favorite destination... My roommate and I rented a Golf Cart and Drove all over the island, we got there just after a hurricane, so it was still more or less demolished. But I loved it, We found this little dirt road and took it out to a lagoon type thing. we found hundreds of conch shells just laying around, we took atleast a dozen home!

I loved it, and I will be going back at some point!

Yes, I know the area you are speaking of! The lagoon-type-thing is on the way to northern end of the island. Sounds like we were in GT around the same time... our first visit was just days before the hurricane in August '08. So glad the island is recovering! Happy Sailing!

Couldn't resist--over looking turquoise water meaning the view

or the drink :D ?

Looks cool and great--what was it?

LOL! Good eye! The drink is a blue margarita... made with Curacao, I believe.

FYI ~ My DS walked by as I was reading your post... he noticed that in the picture, he is "Going Commando" on his Coke! LOL!

Have a great night and Happy Sailing!

CruiseVacationQueen...I was watching the Debarkment video channel yesterday and I swear your husband and son are in it??? It was a shot of them walking up to guest services.

LOL!!! Too funny!!! Wish we could get a commission for their "star" appearance! ;)

So..... DO TELL!!! Did you have a blast on your birthday cruise, or what? Did you get to sleep in (as you said you like to do!) or did you wake up early (as we ended up doing!)? Are you going to write a review? Can't wait to hear about all your adventures!

Leah

Hi CVQ...

We found great benefit in reading your review - our first Carnival cruise (of the modern era :D) will be this same Destiny itinerary in about a month.

Would you mind answering a couple of questions?

We'll be travelling with DS (turning 14 the day we board) and DN (13). What did your DS think of Circle C? Were there planned activities (that actually happened) or was it just more of a place to hang out? Is the water slide open all the time? How about the hot tubs?

Have you ever looked at the daily menu list on the Carnival website? If so, do you remember which of the 7 nights they serve on this 5 day trip? No biggie, it's just that the DN we're bringing along is an extremely picky eater.

Speaking of things vaguely related to food...on the deck plans there are areas near the buffet called "The Pantry" and "Happy Valley" - any idea what we can expect here?

In regard to the ports, apparently you've been to Nassau more than once. Are you familiar with the Pirate Museum? We'd like to go there, and maybe Adestara Park & Zoo also...is there any chance of doing these areas (probably by taxi) with the time that will be left over in port after the "Behind the Fun" tour (should we be so fortunate!).

Anything you will tell me is much appreciated.

Happy Sails,

Annette

We store our shorts, t-shirts, socks & under-garments in the 3 drawers. We use the 2 cabinets (to the left of the vanity bench) to store the 12 bottles of water we brought on board, our huge stash of sunscreen and my make-up case... with plenty of room to spare! There are nightstands on both sides of the bed. DS stores his PSP and book in one, and I store my empty carry-on bag in the other. All our empty luggage fits easily under the bed. BTW, there is also a large corner compartment on the floor under the TV, which stores the life jackets. We use the top as a shelf for our snorkel gear and Carnival beach towels. Note, how our 2 bottles of wine look like 4... in the long Wall of Mirrors! LOL!

100_2781.jpg?t=1278086615

So... is this the fanciest cabin in the Carnival fleet? No. Is the decor out-dated and is the sofa faded and worn? Yes. But the entire cabin is clean and none of the fixtures are broken. Plus, the room is at least a good foot wider and longer than other Carnival cabins with the same layout... even our balcony cabins on the Liberty! And the beds are really comfy, too! Yay! We're on another Carnival cruise! We decide on a number combo for the safe and stash our passports, wallets, documents and jewelry bag inside... with lots of room to spare. We finally hear the first Safety Briefing announcement around 3:40 pm. Off to Muster we go! According to the sign on the back of our door (and on the front of our S&S cards), our Muster Station "F" is located mid-ship on deck 4:

100_2771.jpg?t=1278095819

We are so happy that life-jackets are no longer required at the new-and-improved "Safety Briefing". We open our cabin and step out into the hall-way. Where is everyone? Oops! We must be late. We round the corner to the stairs and make our way up 2 flights of stairs to Atlantic deck 4. We join a small group of people just ahead of us, and step out onto the outside promenade. We see the sign for Muster Station F just ahead. Ummm... where is everyone? We are among a small group of 20 people... and that's it!? Slowly, but surely, more passengers trickle in to attend the briefing. We notice that most are carrying blue S&S cards. Ok... now it makes sense. We are traveling with a large bunch of cruise-newbies. They just didn't know where to go and what to do! After a painless 20 more minutes or so, the briefing is over. We head back to the cabin to grab the camera to take a brief tour of the ship before sail-away!

So, camera in hand we open our cabin door to leave, and are happily surprised to see our Cabin Steward standing just outside! He introduces himself (we can't remember how to spell his name correctly, so we will call him Rey in this review!) and tells us that he is from Jamaica. He has a very nice demeanor and great, big smile. Before I can even ask about the bed for DS, Rey asks if it's okay of he converts the sofa into a bed instead of making DS sleep in the trundle bed on the floor. Well, we are certainly off to a good start! After a few more minutes of pleasantries, we bid him farewell and head off to explore the ship!

We decide to start exploring at the back of the ship and work our way forward. We head to the aft elevators, and ride one up to deck 9. DH is getting hungry, so we must find him something to eat. I have a bit of a head-ache, too... so I better get an ice cream cone! LOL! We enter the aft pool area, and notice the retractable roof is closed. Hmmm... I wonder why?

100_2788.jpg?t=1278097527

We turn right and step up to the Pizza counter, but unfortunatley they don't have any pizzas ready yet! DS obediently poses for a picture anyway (note: the pizzas shown in the case are for display only!):

100_2786.jpg?t=1278097527

We go around the corner and enter the Sun & Sea buffet restaurant through the aft & port side doors, and this is what we see... a beautiful domed skylight!

100_2789.jpg?t=1278095819

I quickly snap this picture of the port side of the main buffet line, before hustling to catch up with DH, who is on the hunt for food!

100_2790.jpg?t=1278095819

We continue heading forward and pass by the Deli counter. When we exit the buffet restaurant into the main pool area, guess what we see: ICE CREAM! We all pause to enjoy our first cone of the cruise!

Next up: is a rainy sail-away in the forecast?

Is that an indoor pool? How cool is that! I love the bottle opener. I couldn't image what you would use it for with screw off bottle tops and tabs on cans. Thanks for the photos in your review, much better than just words.

Hi CVQ...

We found great benefit in reading your review - our first Carnival cruise (of the modern era :D) will be this same Destiny itinerary in about a month. Congrats!!! Very excited for you!!!

Would you mind answering a couple of questions? Not at all!

We'll be travelling with DS (turning 14 the day we board) and DN (13). What did your DS think of Circle C? He loved it! One of the best "camp" experiences EVER! The counselor made all the differenece. She is very young and energetic and planned TONS of fun activities. Were there planned activities (that actually happened) or was it just more of a place to hang out? LOTS of activities, including several scavenger hunts, which is DS's favorite! Is the water slide open all the time? How about the hot tubs? Not 24 hours, but Carnival is great about keeping them open as much as possible. I believe the slides close before dark, but the hot tubs are open late!

Have you ever looked at the daily menu list on the Carnival website? Yep! Quite frequently! :o If so, do you remember which of the 7 nights they serve on this 5 day trip? I think they stuck to "Day 1" on the first day, "Day 2" on the second and so on. No biggie, it's just that the DN we're bringing along is an extremely picky eater. Well, she is cruising on the right cruise line (and ship!) for picky eaters. The variety is awesome and the servers will go out of their way to make sure she enjoys dinner!

Speaking of things vaguely related to food...on the deck plans there are areas near the buffet called "The Pantry" The kitchen, so don't go in there... they'll make you wash dishes! :eek: and "Happy Valley" Asian food (different every day!) - any idea what we can expect here?

In regard to the ports, apparently you've been to Nassau more than once. Correct! Are you familiar with the Pirate Museum? Yes! You can easily walk there... use "Google" for directions! We'd like to go there, and maybe Adestara Park & Zoo also...is there any chance of doing these areas (probably by taxi) with the time that will be left over in port after the "Behind the Fun" tour (should we be so fortunate!). Have never been to Adestara but pretty sure you need taxi to get there. Between the BTFT and the Pirate Museum, you will still have a bit of time to explore downtown on foot. Maybe the new straw market will be open, too!

Anything you will tell me is much appreciated.

Happy Sails,

Annette

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have! Happy Sailing!

Is that an indoor pool? How cool is that! I love the bottle opener. I couldn't image what you would use it for with screw off bottle tops and tabs on cans. Thanks for the photos in your review, much better than just words.

Yes... very cool, indeed! Especially when it's raining outside!

In the "olden" days, Carnival allowed passengers to bring on a "reasonable" amount of beer... even in bottles! :) You are very welcome!

LOL!!! Too funny!!! Wish we could get a commission for their "star" appearance! ;)

So..... DO TELL!!! Did you have a blast on your birthday cruise, or what? Did you get to sleep in (as you said you like to do!) or did you wake up early (as we ended up doing!)? Are you going to write a review? Can't wait to hear about all your adventures!

Leah

Loved it. Sleeping in did not happen...lol...esp when the lovely sunshine came in from our balcony. But we ate breakfast in the MDR and just took our time. The things my BF swore he didn't want to do...spend time in the room, order room service, and take naps...ALL HAPPENED...and he enjoyed them very much.

I'm going to write a review. We ended up with a JEEP in Grand Turk instead of a golf cart...was very nice. Although wish we had more time, our exit from the ship was delayed by the HMS Manchester docking. So after lunch and beach at Jacks we're walking to the jeep and 3 young ladies from the island walk by and one says "Sarah?"...it was one of the students who attended the univeristy where I used to work...she was SHOCKED to see me...lol.

Loved it. Sleeping in did not happen...lol...esp when the lovely sunshine came in from our balcony. But we ate breakfast in the MDR and just took our time. The things my BF swore he didn't want to do...spend time in the room, order room service, and take naps...ALL HAPPENED...and he enjoyed them very much.

I'm going to write a review. We ended up with a JEEP in Grand Turk instead of a golf cart...was very nice. Although wish we had more time, our exit from the ship was delayed by the HMS Manchester docking. So after lunch and beach at Jacks we're walking to the jeep and 3 young ladies from the island walk by and one says "Sarah?"...it was one of the students who attended the univeristy where I used to work...she was SHOCKED to see me...lol.

So glad you got in the room service & naps... very important things-to-do, for sure! ;)

And, you can teach me something new! Which rental company did you rent the Jeep from? (how much? where? did you reserve ahead of time? etc!) :)

HMS Manchester... never heard of that ship. I thought only CCL & HAL docked in GT. I guess that ship must belong to one of the lines owned by CCL?

We really fo live in a small world! How incredible to run into someone you know on little 'ole GT! :rolleyes:

Glad you had a great cruise and made it home safely. I would love to read your review. Will you post back here the location of your thread? Thanks!

So glad you got in the room service & naps... very important things-to-do, for sure! ;)

And, you can teach me something new! Which rental company did you rent the Jeep from? (how much? where? did you reserve ahead of time? etc!) :)

HMS Manchester... never heard of that ship. I thought only CCL & HAL docked in GT. I guess that ship must belong to one of the lines owned by CCL?

We really fo live in a small world! How incredible to run into someone you know on little 'ole GT! :rolleyes:

Glad you had a great cruise and made it home safely. I would love to read your review. Will you post back here the location of your thread? Thanks!

We rented a golf cart with Nathan, but since we were late all the carts were gone so he gave us his Jeep...I had read others had this happen...it's possible you could ask him directly about getting the Jeep. And BF drove be back to Cruise Center, then went back to Nathan's area and one of the employees road back with him and dropped him off where I was waiting. That helped a lot!

The HMS Manchester is a British battleship, GT is a colony of GB..and they needed a place to stop so they stopped at GT. What a surprise to wake up and see missles outside your balcony...lol. Perhaps if we weren't out taking so many pictures of it we'd gotten off the ship before they put a halt to it.

Thanks so much for the intel CVQ...since you have now become my official "go to guy" for this trip, DH has a question:

Do you happen to know if there is anywhere right at the Miami pier to return a rental car? We're debating whether or not to get a car when we arrive on Sunday night or just to find a hotel with a shuttle and cab it to the ship Monday morning. We're not going to have much of any time to look around Miami, but DH has barely gone a day in his life without wheels.

Given that we really, really want to try and book BTF, do you think we need to be super early? Normally we board mid-afternoon to avoid the crowds (you can basically walk on anytime after 2:00).

Was the comedy club up and going during your trip? If so, how compatible are the showtimes with early dinner? We ended up losing our Anytime Dining when we decided to book a second cabin for the boys. We're ok with that though...we usually always choose early traditional, just thought we'd try ATD after having one of "those" experiences with table mates on our last trip.

Looking forward to hearing more from you...

Annette

Thanks so much for the intel CVQ...since you have now become my official "go to guy" for this trip, DH has a question:

Do you happen to know if there is anywhere right at the Miami pier to return a rental car? We're debating whether or not to get a car when we arrive on Sunday night or just to find a hotel with a shuttle and cab it to the ship Monday morning. We're not going to have much of any time to look around Miami, but DH has barely gone a day in his life without wheels.

Given that we really, really want to try and book BTF, do you think we need to be super early? Normally we board mid-afternoon to avoid the crowds (you can basically walk on anytime after 2:00).

Was the comedy club up and going during your trip? If so, how compatible are the showtimes with early dinner? We ended up losing our Anytime Dining when we decided to book a second cabin for the boys. We're ok with that though...we usually always choose early traditional, just thought we'd try ATD after having one of "those" experiences with table mates on our last trip.

Looking forward to hearing more from you...

Annette

Just got off this ship yesterday. No rental cars at the pier, just their shuttles.

We had early dinner and had no problem making it to the comedy clubs, they have several shows. If I remember correctly the PG show was 7:45 and the adult shows at 9:45 and 10:45

Just got off this ship yesterday. No rental cars at the pier, just their shuttles.

We had early dinner and had no problem making it to the comedy clubs, they have several shows. If I remember correctly the PG show was 7:45 and the adult shows at 9:45 and 10:45

:) Thanks, I suspect DH will have to deal with "car withdrawal" for this trip. By any chance do you know of a hotel about 1/2 between the airport and the pier that would have a Target store nearby? (You can't imagine how much Canadians look forward to shopping at Target!)

Happy Sails,

Annette

:) Thanks, I suspect DH will have to deal with "car withdrawal" for this trip. By any chance do you know of a hotel about 1/2 between the airport and the pier that would have a Target store nearby? (You can't imagine how much Canadians look forward to shopping at Target!)

Happy Sails,

Annette

There is a nice Target in Midtown, which is around 29th Street and N. Miami Avenue.

I loved your review of the Destiny and the Inspiration. I will am having such a difficult time making up my mind on which ship to book. We will be traveling in January, it will be me, my DH and our DS (10). The first cruise for all of us! Just based on the ships and not the itinerary would you choose one over the other for a 1st cruise in January? Again thanks so much for all the details and pictures!

I loved your review of the Destiny and the Inspiration. I will am having such a difficult time making up my mind on which ship to book. We will be traveling in January, it will be me, my DH and our DS (10). The first cruise for all of us! Just based on the ships and not the itinerary would you choose one over the other for a 1st cruise in January? Again thanks so much for all the details and pictures!

I know some will disagree with me but after 5 crusies a ship is a ship. I would totally base my choice on itinerary and price.

Archived