LONG! Carnival Destiny Review & Photos ~ 6-14-10 ~ 5 days to Grand Turk, HMC & Nassau

I stumbled across this review when looking up reviews of Grand Turk. We will be cruiseing with HAL in Nov. on our very first cruise. Your review was a delight from the beginning until the end and everything in between! Not only was it a BIG help, it kept me in chuckles. Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I loved it!!!

I stumbled across this review when looking up reviews of Grand Turk. We will be cruiseing with HAL in Nov. on our very first cruise. Your review was a delight from the beginning until the end and everything in between! Not only was it a BIG help' date=' it kept me in chuckles. Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I loved it!!![/quote']

Wow! You have picked a great ship for your first cruise! We love the Westerdam and can't wait to sail her again sometime. So glad this review was both helpful and entertaining. I see you have a Princess cruise lined up, also. Welcome to the wonderful word of "cruise addiction"! LOL! Be sure to give Carnival a try sometime... they really deliver a great vacation, IMHO!

Happy Sailing!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Please consider opening up Word, or any other program, saving the blank document FIRST and then begin writing your review. The program should automatically save your work every few minutes. Then when you're done, you can copy and paste to cruise critic. It's so frustrating to write something here and have it deleted by accident.

Thanks for taking the time to review! Really enjoying it!

I've been there also! I cry tears for you....I have since learned to use word-even for longer replies to posts. CC has habit sometimes of disappearing --of course usually it is posters error (me!)

We used the kiosk and it was fine until I had to swipe my credit card. I tried swiping it in the same slot used to swipe my passport. After 12 failed attempts, my 9 yo grandson suggested I use the correct slot :D

I think Carnival needs a fluorescent sign--I dad the exact thing, and to make it worse this was second time using kiosk doh! I even tried the logical lets try another kiosk!

Two college guys helped me!

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but WOW what a great job you've done in putting us right there on that cruise with you and your family. Enjoyed each minute we spent reading and imagining!! Thanks again, Patty and Calvin :D

I am so glad this review came back, did not see it before. We are cruising B2B on the Destiny this fall. Your pictures and details helped a lot. Can't wait for HMC, it is our favorite island and will be our 4th time there.

Attn: patty41, LibraByTheSea & indiaksue....

So glad you enjoyed the review! FYI ~ we've recently booked another cruise on the Destiny... this time sailing to Key West & Cozumel... we leave in 2 weeks! :) Hope to post a review of any ship updates!

Happy Sailing!!!

Thank you so much for the fantastic reviews of both the Destiny and Tampa ship ( i get the Fantasy ships confused on names). This has helped immeasurably in helping to decide on a last minute cruise. Our experience so far in cruising is a 4 night Bahamas on the Disney Wonder and a 5 night on the RCI Navigator to Labadee and Falmouth Jamaica. DS (14) loved Wonders Kids program but hated RCI's. He acts and wants to be with the 15-17 yr old group, and said RCI's was disorganized. I love the cruise line Island days with both and I think will like HMC as well (except for tender; sounds problematic). Wish GT was a longer day but sounds fantastic if I follow your plan. Here is my dilemma (hoping you can help) there are several of the Fantasy class ships to choose from during when we can cruise (8/4 to 8/13) but I'm concerned that they are older and smaller and they DON'T go to the Private Island (except for the one out of Jax). I like Nassau OK but a Nassau/Freeport cruise doesnt sound as fun. SOOOO, am I being a cruise snob? I'd much rather do Cozumel ( Ruins right up DS alley) or somewhere else we haven't been yet. Initially we were all set on RCI Oasis or Carnival Legend; but cost (Oasis) and school start (Legend) has killed those two options. I'm choosing between Destiny (the 4 day you are on or the 5 day of this review); 4 night out of Tampa to Cozumel; 5 day on Fantasy to Bahamas (closest to home, no hotel or parking required!); 5 day Jax to HMC and Nassau; RCI Monarch 4 day to Cococay and Nassau; or if possible one of the 6/7 night on the Dream/ Liberty/ etc. out of PC, MI, or FLL. Which would you say is the best all around choice? I likely wont get to sail again for awhile due to a newborn on his way; so it will be a last gasp cruise before DS becomes a full fledged teen not wanting to hang out with Dad anymore:rolleyes:. The choices are making my head spin and I'm not Carnival experienced! My TA is good but apparently AAA doesn't "recommend" Carnival cruises anymore...:mad:

Found your review when doing some last minute research for our cruise on the Liberty in August. We will be stopping in Grand Turk and I have contacted Nathan already to reserve a golf cart. Now, I have a BIG favor to ask!! We would LOVE to go to your secret beach!!!!!! Is there any, any way you would consider sending me directions to this beach??

Could you send it to

beautsmc@gmail.com

I can't tell you how much we would appreciate this!

J

Thank you so much for the fantastic reviews of both the Destiny and Tampa ship ( i get the Fantasy ships confused on names). This has helped immeasurably in helping to decide on a last minute cruise. Our experience so far in cruising is a 4 night Bahamas on the Disney Wonder and a 5 night on the RCI Navigator to Labadee and Falmouth Jamaica. DS (14) loved Wonders Kids program but hated RCI's. He acts and wants to be with the 15-17 yr old group, and said RCI's was disorganized. I love the cruise line Island days with both and I think will like HMC as well (except for tender; sounds problematic). Wish GT was a longer day but sounds fantastic if I follow your plan. Here is my dilemma (hoping you can help) there are several of the Fantasy class ships to choose from during when we can cruise (8/4 to 8/13) but I'm concerned that they are older and smaller and they DON'T go to the Private Island (except for the one out of Jax). I like Nassau OK but a Nassau/Freeport cruise doesnt sound as fun. SOOOO, am I being a cruise snob? I'd much rather do Cozumel ( Ruins right up DS alley) or somewhere else we haven't been yet. Initially we were all set on RCI Oasis or Carnival Legend; but cost (Oasis) and school start (Legend) has killed those two options. I'm choosing between Destiny (the 4 day you are on or the 5 day of this review); 4 night out of Tampa to Cozumel; 5 day on Fantasy to Bahamas (closest to home, no hotel or parking required!); 5 day Jax to HMC and Nassau; RCI Monarch 4 day to Cococay and Nassau; or if possible one of the 6/7 night on the Dream/ Liberty/ etc. out of PC, MI, or FLL. Which would you say is the best all around choice? I likely wont get to sail again for awhile due to a newborn on his way; so it will be a last gasp cruise before DS becomes a full fledged teen not wanting to hang out with Dad anymore:rolleyes:. The choices are making my head spin and I'm not Carnival experienced! My TA is good but apparently AAA doesn't "recommend" Carnival cruises anymore...:mad:

Hi, jfstorm!

Sorry it took me so long to reply... "real life" has been keeping me busy! You have probably already booked your last-minute cruise by now... lol! What did you choose? The last sentence in your post about "AAA not recommending Carnival anymore" made me laugh! We had a similar experience with our past AAA rep regarding NCL! I think "what that really means" is that the agent isn't pleased with the commissions he/she earns from Carnival vs the other higher-priced cruise lines! LOL! ;) I am a travel agent myself (shhhhhhh!) and I highly recommend Carnival, as you can see from my signature! LOL!

To answer some of your questions:

Our son liked the kid's camps on most of the cruises we sailed. We've found that his enjoyment really depends on the particular camp counselor onboard. Disney and Carnival have been consistently "very fun" in DS's opinion, with the exception of one "dud" on the CCL Freedom (she catered to the girls and basically ignored the boys). NCL, RCI & HAL were also good in his opinion, on our particular sailings.

Carnival's HMC is the most beautiful place on earth, IMHO... so the tender ride over is well worth any possible inconvenience! LOL! Disney's Castaway Cay comes in as a very close second... HMC "wins" for the plentiful shade and cabanas, even over the fact that CC has it's own pier!

Don't worry at all about the "age" of the Fantasy class ships. Carnival does an excellent job IMHO in keeping all of their ships clean and up-to-date with year-round painting and refurbishing. As for the size of ship, that is of course a personal preference... we like the variety of the CCL ships and very much enjoy the different ship layouts, including the Fantasy class ships. We have looked at booking the larger RCI ships many times, but the cost just doesn't justify the extra activities, in our opinion. We do want to try of the mega-ships one day, as soon as we find a "good" deal. :)

And, no you don't sound like a cruise snob! Gotta like the ports and ship you're sailing on! LOL! All those choices were making my head spin, too! Hope you booked one of them and congrats on the baby-on-the-way! If you do try Carnival, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do... for us, every CCL cruise feels like "coming home"!

Happy Sailing!

Found your review when doing some last minute research for our cruise on the Liberty in August. We will be stopping in Grand Turk and I have contacted Nathan already to reserve a golf cart. Now, I have a BIG favor to ask!! We would LOVE to go to your secret beach!!!!!! Is there any, any way you would consider sending me directions to this beach??

Could you send it to

beautsmc@gmail.com

I can't tell you how much we would appreciate this!

J

Awww!!! You are so sweet! I am glad this review was helpful, and I am happy to share the location of our Secret Beach!

The beach is actually very easy to find, it is just a bit "tucked away". Nathan will give you a good driving map of the island. Referring to the map, look for the star notating Cockburn Town. Then, right below the star look for the notation for DO-IT CENTER, and right below that you will see the notation for Cedar Grove Beach. That is where you are headed!

Here are the actual directions, so you'll know what to expect when you get there:

From the cruise port, follow the main road (Waterloo Road) toward downtown (Cockburn Town). One of the first landmarks you'll see is the replica of the John Glenn's space capsule on your right. Continue past the capsule, and the road will make a large curve around the airport (stay on the main road).

Next, you'll come to a fork in the road as you approach the historic Catholic church... veer to the LEFT, still following the main road. Next, keep a look-out for the DO-IT CENTER (a home improvement store similar to Ace Harware here in the US) which will be on your left. Turn LEFT onto the road that runs in front of the DO-IT CENTER. The turn will be more like a U-turn, as the road is at a sharp angle (don't go down the road beside the DO-IT Center, as it dead-ends at the wrong beach).

So, as you drive down this beach-front road, you will catch glimpses of water on your right-hand side. You will be in a small neighborhood of houses and beach rentals. Drive slowly on this road, as you can easily miss the small beach entrance. Keep a look-out on your right for a white house sitting up on a small bluff, with "Sunset Cabana" painted on the front. (See the pictures in my review of the house, the sign to the beach and the small salt pond that is located directly across the street).

Once you find it, you can park under the large cedar trees located right in front of the house. You will also see a square concrete building located to the left of the house... that is the public restroom, which we have found to be kept very clean. To get to the beach, climb up the small bluff on either side of the house. We put our towels and back-pack under the lone cedar tree on the beach (located to the right of the house).

If no one is at the Sunset Cabana when you get there, be assured that someome will show up soon and open the front porch area to sell you some cold drinks. The employees may not speak english fluently, but pointing to the drink case has worked just fine for us! :) We've also been tempted to purchase food from them (yummy-smelling pork dishes), but always end up at Jack's Shack for jerk chicken, instead!

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your day at our Secret Beach!

Awww!!! You are so sweet! I am glad this review was helpful, and I am happy to share the location of our Secret Beach!

The beach is actually very easy to find, it is just a bit "tucked away". Nathan will give you a good driving map of the island. Referring to the map, look for the star notating Cockburn Town. Then, right below the star look for the notation for DO-IT CENTER, and right below that you will see the notation for Cedar Grove Beach. That is where you are headed!

Here are the actual directions, so you'll know what to expect when you get there:

From the cruise port, follow the main road (Waterloo Road) toward downtown (Cockburn Town). One of the first landmarks you'll see is the replica of the John Glenn's space capsule on your right. Continue past the capsule, and the road will make a large curve around the airport (stay on the main road).

Next, you'll come to a fork in the road as you approach the historic Catholic church... veer to the LEFT, still following the main road. Next, keep a look-out for the DO-IT CENTER (a home improvement store similar to Ace Harware here in the US) which will be on your left. Turn LEFT onto the road that runs in front of the DO-IT CENTER. The turn will be more like a U-turn, as the road is at a sharp angle (don't go down the road beside the DO-IT Center, as it dead-ends at the wrong beach).

So, as you drive down this beach-front road, you will catch glimpses of water on your right-hand side. You will be in a small neighborhood of houses and beach rentals. Drive slowly on this road, as you can easily miss the small beach entrance. Keep a look-out on your right for a white house sitting up on a small bluff, with "Sunset Cabana" painted on the front. (See the pictures in my review of the house, the sign to the beach and the small salt pond that is located directly across the street).

Once you find it, you can park under the large cedar trees located right in front of the house. You will also see a square concrete building located to the left of the house... that is the public restroom, which we have found to be kept very clean. To get to the beach, climb up the small bluff on either side of the house. We put our towels and back-pack under the lone cedar tree on the beach (located to the right of the house).

If no one is at the Sunset Cabana when you get there, be assured that someome will show up soon and open the front porch area to sell you some cold drinks. The employees may not speak english fluently, but pointing to the drink case has worked just fine for us! :) We've also been tempted to purchase food from them (yummy-smelling pork dishes), but always end up at Jack's Shack for jerk chicken, instead!

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your day at our Secret Beach!

Thank you SO much!!!!!!!!! I can't wait!! I will be sure to report when we get back and let you know how it was!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to let the OP know that I did a bit of cutting and pasting of her review, printed it out (as well as her map) and did my own version of her day on Grand Turk back in Feb.

I called it the "4 Beaches, 2 Bars in 1 Day Tour" and I had 5 other willing adventurous friends with me who trusted this crazy woman to lead them around an island she had never been to! So we rented 2 golf carts from Nathan and off we went with my printout instructions & map in hand. As me as the navigator we followed her very good directions and went to the north end of the island to see the lighthouse first and the unspoiled beach there. (It's a bumpy road so be forewarned!)

Then we worked our way back south towards the ship following the coast and hitting Bohio Resort and hung out for a while at the nice beach bar at Pillory Beach.

Next a short visit to Governor's Beach for a quick dip in the ocean and then we ended up at Jack's Shack for a fabulous lunch and cocktails on the beach there!

We all had a great day and would do it all over again in a heartbeat! Once others on the ship heard about our wild and crazy day, they were quite jealous that they didn't come along.

• 2 weeks later...

thank-you for your in-depth and insightful review, AND thank-you for sharing your pix of your vacation and your lovely family. We will be going to Grand Turk on the Ruby Princess in Nov., and it feels as if I've already been there, even though this will be my 1st time there. I'm so looking forward to your other reviews.

• 2 weeks later...
Attn: patty41, LibraByTheSea & indiaksue....

So glad you enjoyed the review! FYI ~ we've recently booked another cruise on the Destiny... this time sailing to Key West & Cozumel... we leave in 2 weeks! :) Hope to post a review of any ship updates!

Happy Sailing!!!

Just wondering how your most recent trip on the Destiny was. I really enjoyed your last review, and even bookmarked your HMC/ Grand Turk information for our future cruise on the Liberty. Thanks for all the helpful info.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to make this jump back to the top...but OMG! What an AMAZING review...I'm looking at cabanas and thinking about a golf cart now. You really did an awesome job, and even though it was 2 yrs ago, couldn't help but to post this in response. I'm taking this exact cruise in 300 days and I cannot wait. This review is bookmarked as I'm sure I'll continue to use it as a reference. Thanks again!!! :)

Sorry to make this jump back to the top...but OMG! What an AMAZING review...I'm looking at cabanas and thinking about a golf cart now. You really did an awesome job, and even though it was 2 yrs ago, couldn't help but to post this in response. I'm taking this exact cruise in 300 days and I cannot wait. This review is bookmarked as I'm sure I'll continue to use it as a reference. Thanks again!!! :)

You are very welcome! We are thinking of booking this cruise again at the end of summer! :D

Archived