50 degree water temp in Mexican Riviera right now!?

utopia

A Princess rep. found out that the water temp is 50 degrees right now. She also conferred with another department and seemed to be doing her best to get an accurate reading. But, it must be some kind of mistake? Anyone jumped in the water recently (specifically in Cabo San Lucas) and can give different input?

I was in the water two weeks ago in Manzanillo which is just south of Puerto Vallarta. The water felt very warm and we were told that the temp was in the low 80's. I would guess that Cabo is in the mid to high 70's now. I was in Cabo two years ago in the middle of January and the water felt nice after you had been in for a few minutes. I live in San Diego and I know what 55 degree water feels like this time of the year. Cabo is atleast 20 degrees warmer.

Mike

Interesting, the two websites report significantly different temps. I have to say, we were in Cabo last March and I thought the water was freezing! Don't know what the exact temp was though. I also needed a sweater the entire week we were there and I was downright cold at night!

The water around Cabo has two disinct personalities. The water on the Sea of Cortez side is much warmer than the water on the Pacific side. Check to see where the temperature is being taken. Water on the Pacific side should be in the 50's as the current comes down from Alaska. The Sea of Cortez will be up in the 70's.

if you look at both websites, wunderground.com and oceanweather.com, there's at least a 10 degree difference in their reporting (for both pacific side and sea of cortez)... that is odd...

then again, i understand from the lack of specific data on the reporting web sites that there isn't a buoy station in that area..

Hey, we just returned from the Vision of The Seas. We played in the water in Cabo and Mazatlan just last week and found the water to be okay. Not warm but, and far from freezing cold !! After an hour on wave runners in Cabo we didn't want to get out, but we didn't want to miss our ride to Mazatlan either so, we got out!

I sure as heck did not want to come back to all of this snow yesterday, but I did ....

Barb

We (2 couples in our 40's) had a Fantastic time. There were very few children on the ship this time around and that could have been due to this time of the year. There were a handful of older teenagers and they ALL had great manners. We sailed this same cruise in June 2004 and this time there were a lot more adults over the age of let's say, 65 years old.

The cruise director John and his wife, Katrina were the SAME directors that we had on the Legend of the Seas in 2004. So, some of their stage show numbers were the same, but that was okay, too as they are just fun people. We thought the musical groups from the show dancers and singers, Schooner bar piano singer, and the Centrum singer were all very talented. However, we did not care for the talent of the group that would perform for the music of the 60's, 70's etc. nights. I suppose if you have enough to drink you might like them. And also, they were not that bad as we were still going and checking things out. LOL

I am a picky eater so, each night I would eat from the menus "alternative options" instead of the all the wonderful options that are available each night to eat in the main dining area. So, more like a simple grill chicken breast and a baked potato. The other's in our group loved just about EVERYTHING that was offered. By the end of the cruise I was not wanting to eat or see scrambled eggs again! LOL But, there are so many choices to choose from in the Windjammer for breakfast. I never had lunch or dinner there except for the first day on the ship. Not that is was not good but, more like I just did not want to have to face so many options to eat. LOL

Hey, I don't want to take up the whole thread with how things went for us, but please feel free to email me at either one of the following email addresses.

Oh, yah the offers for a massage were a bit high but, VERY enjoyable. However, Ladies, DO NOT take the time to have someone on ship do up your hair for formal night, I ended up looking like a polygamist from So. Utah so, I signed the bill (should have complained but, didn't) and went to my cabin to QUICKLY wash it out and did it myself. I hope I haven't offended anyone! Sorry, if I did.

Barb

Home: rayefan@comcast.net

Work: dawsbd786@alpine.k12.ut.us

• 2 weeks later...

Fill your bathtub with cold water, then take a thermometer and take the temperature. Add hot water till it is about 68 degrees. You'd be surprised how COLD that really is! Most folks don't even go in the water here in San Diego unless they are using a wetsuit. Most will "brave" the Pacific Ocean water around July - September.

Cabo is a "little warmer", but believe me, it is not like the Atlantic Ocean at all! If you're doing activities in the water, you'll get warmer and the ocean won't feel as bad. RonRythm said it best. There are two distinct areas of water temps. Make sure you know which is which!

Archived