RC Serenade of the Seas vs. Carnival Victory

geopat19

My hubby and I are still trying to choose which cruise to book, but we have narrowed it down to RC Serenade of the Seas and Carnival Victory. We know we want to go to the Southern Caribbean in October or November and these two ships offer a very similar itinerary. So now it comes down to which ship is better. For some reason, I have it in my head that the Carnival Victory may not be as nice of a ship than Serenade of the Seas, but I've read that RC's food isn't as good as the food on Carnival.

Any one have any opinions either way??

Thanks for your help!

I had this same decision to make and went with Serenade. My decision was made based on the amazing reviews Serenade gets, if you haven't yet you should read them. As I have sailed on Carnival 2 times prior I was also swayed by the cabin decor being more appealing on RCI. I am sure you will have a great time whatever you decide :)

I am a former Carnival cruiser. While I have not sailed on Victory specifically, I have cruised on Carnival out of San Juan and I have cruised on Carnival more often than on Royal Caribbean. I vote for Serenade. I am age 50 but cruised with my 22-year-old daughter, so I think we have a couple of generations covered. We loved Serenade. Lovely ship, amazing staff, great itinerary...wonderful cruise!!!

You'll see I've already booked to return to Serenade in 2012!!! I'm a big fan.

Thanks for your opinions!! I've read the reviews on both and am definitely leaning toward Royal Caribbean. I do have one other question about formal nights on the cruises. Are they mandatory? My husband was not happy about having to bring a suit with him!!

Always lots of discussion about dress on formal nights. RCL has gotten a lot more relaxed - the dress code is not mandatory. For example in February on the Explorer two of our tablemates did not realize it was formal night and came in sweatsuits - nobody from RCL said anything and we were glad to see them regardless. If it were my husband I would tell him to wear a nice shirt, tie, and slacks and be done with it. I wouldn't give up a formal night dinner in the MDR for lack of a jacket.

we first sailed on the Serenade in 2006 to Alaska and loved the ship. we just tried our first Carnival (the Conquest out of Galveston) and I would definitely choose RCCL over Carvinal. it was all little things that added up, but we will be going back to RCCL the next time we are ready to cruise. The Serenade was a great ship...

I picked Victory for my upcoming Southern Caribbean cruise. There are no sea days, that was enough for me to decide. I would much prefer exploring an island than lying around the ship. I happen to prefer the food on Carnival too, so that also helps.

We have sailed on both ships Serenade to Alaska and Victory to the Southern Caribbean. We went with Victory for our Christmas cruise a couple years ago because of the cheaper price and great itinerary but the Serenade is a beautiful ship. I don't think you can go wrong with either ship - I'd go on either one again in a minute. The Southern Caribbean cruises out of SJ are very port extensive which I loved! Check out the itineraries and price or flip a coin!

Archived