"self disembark"

Its been a while since I've been on a cruise. Can someone explain to me how it works if you DON'T Self-Disembark?

I'm thinking we leave the bags out in the hall the night before and they are transported completely OFF the ship to the Tent or Pier or whatever onto a luggage claim type machine (like at the airport)... then you collect your luggage and walk out the door? Is that how it works?

My ride is going to arrive at the Civitavecchia port by 8:00 AM. If we do regular disembarkation (i.e., not self-disembark) will we be outside with our bags by 8:00 AM? The ship arrives in port by 5:00AM.

Thanks,

Sally

We did the self disembark carry off your own luggage twice now on Independence of the Seas. Good idea, however, it was extremely disorganized and way too many people were doing it. It had nothing to do with the size of the luggage; the problem was that way too many people were doing it at the same time. They had you disembarking from deck one I believe and the elevators all the way to the top were jammed with people and luggage and when they reached deck one, the people could not get off the elevators because the stairs all the way up and the first floor deck even up against the elevator doors were jammed with people waiting to get off. Now this is after they called those to self disembark--- there were way too many and they actually hadn't started moving people off the ship---even though they announced those that wanted to self disembark to head to deck one. We were pressed up against one another like cattle for 30-45 min. I thought I was going to pass out--- there was absolutely no way to move out of line in any direction. It was dangerous. We did that twice; two years in a row and then decided not to do it again after our last cruise (on Freedom). In theory it was a good idea, but what a mess!

Its been a while since I've been on a cruise. Can someone explain to me how it works if you DON'T Self-Disembark?

I'm thinking we leave the bags out in the hall the night before and they are transported completely OFF the ship to the Tent or Pier or whatever onto a luggage claim type machine (like at the airport)... then you collect your luggage and walk out the door? Is that how it works?

That´s almost how it works. In Civitavecchia you will claim your luggage in a tent on the pier, but there won´t be a conveyor belt for claiming your luggage. The luggage will be placed in the tent sorted by colours or numbers of luggage tags. You will receive those luggage tags onboard and the number or colour of the tag determines your group, which serves a) for the app. time of disembarkation and b) for the area to look for your luggage.

My ride is going to arrive at the Civitavecchia port by 8:00 AM. If we do regular disembarkation (i.e., not self-disembark) will we be outside with our bags by 8:00 AM? The ship arrives in port by 5:00AM.

Thanks,

Sally

Sometime midcruise you will receive a debarkation form to fill out, where you can put in your travel plans on debarkation day. They will assign you a group according to this. In my experience debarkation at Civitaveccia started around 6am and I was off by 7am (not using Self Debarkation, but being in the first group due to D+/Suite status).

Archived