Sailaway on Equinox from Civitavecchia

Podie

On my previous cruise, we left Vancouver when we were at our early dinner seating. The same thing will happen when we leave Civitavecchia. So my question is, how special is being up at the Sunset or Oceanview Bar for sailaway? Should we just skip the MDR that night? Is it THAT special?

We had a very nice time at our sailaway party, but I would say that it isn't THAT big of deal. It was nice to meet some people and it was a beautiful sunset, but the party was very small and many people didn't stay long.

There's really not much to see when you're sailing away from Civitavecchia, it's basically an industrial port and Rome is far away. I'd go to dinner and not worry about it. There are some ports that have spectacular departures -----NYC and Venice are at the top of that list!--- but Civitavecchia is not one of them.

On my previous cruise, we left Vancouver when we were at our early dinner seating. The same thing will happen when we leave Civitavecchia. So my question is, how special is being up at the Sunset or Oceanview Bar for sailaway? Should we just skip the MDR that night? Is it THAT special?

Sailaways are usually a time for Cruise Critic Roll Call personnel to get together and meet & greet while sailing out of port.

Equinox gets underway at 5pm, and the first seating isn't until 6:15, so after the muster drill, which should end about 4:45, you'll have 1 1/2 hours to sailaway, have a few drinks, and meet & greet your fellow travelers. Sunset Bar is a great place -- plenty of room. Oceanview Bar during inclement weather.

This shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think. Even if you don't make it to the dining room until 6:30, you will be just fine. Enjoy sailaway drinks.

Sailaway for Equinox is 6 pm. I would go up to the lawn club dressed for dinner and enjoy the sailaway till your 6:15 dinner time. The MDR will serve the early seating up to 30 minutes from the posted time, so you won't have to rush. Other posters are correct, though. Not much to see leaving Civitavecchia other than piles of containers.

Everyone has their own opinion on this, mine is that even though the Civitavecchia port isn't that lovely, you are leaving on an adventure, I wouldn't miss the sailaway for anything, even if it's just me & DH. (oh, & you'll still have time to make the MDR)

Sailaway and first night 2 for 1 pricing at the Tuscan Grille make a good combo. Book when you get on the ship and reserve a table on the window. You'll enjoy one of the best views for sailaway. I'd order wine, onion soup, salad w/goat cheese, filet mignon, and chocolate fondue.

Enjoy!

Archived