vbmom- A HUGE THANK YOU

wwb

What can I say, but a big thank you for your meticulous review and advice. I copied it and brought it with me and used it as my bible for our 16 day trip (just returned today). All of your tips were invaluable and made our trip great.

One of my favorite memories was visiting the Turtle Beach, which we did on 2 days. I was so happy that you had described it in detail.

Again, a big Mahalo to you for your help and the time it took for you to do your review.

Wendy

I noticed in another thread that you spent 8 days in Oahu post cruise. We will be having 8 days pre cruise there.

I wonder if you would share how you filled in your days and nights for those 8 days.

We have ideas of what we want to see, but are not sure how organised we need to be for this time.

I agree with you too vbmoms' review was very helpful to me as well.

What can I say, but a big thank you for your meticulous review and advice. I copied it and brought it with me and used it as my bible for our 16 day trip (just returned today). All of your tips were invaluable and made our trip great.

One of my favorite memories was visiting the Turtle Beach, which we did on 2 days. I was so happy that you had described it in detail.

Again, a big Mahalo to you for your help and the time it took for you to do your review.

Wendy

You are very welcome. It is good to know that my review was helpful to someone else.

Well, let's see....

One day was Kualoa Ranch with Movie Tour and Jungle Expedition and Macademia Nut Farm tour.

One day was Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC). Arrived at 11:30 and needed the entire time to see the various shows, etc. Swam at pool in am before PCC.

One day was Arizona, Battleship Missouri, USS Bowfin (arrived at 7:20 and received 11:00 tour. Used other time for Missouri before Arizona)

One day was pool, catamaran ride, beach

One day was Dole Plantation, Haleiwa, Turtle Beach, Giovannis for shrimp, beach time

One day was Aloha Flea Mart, Punchbowl cemetery, Aloha Marketplace, Ala Moana

Did Paradise Cove Luau one night.

Would have to get out my journal (or use vbmom notes) to tell you the rest. But, we used every moment, relaxed, drove almost the entire island and all of coast, swam, checked out beaches, ate in good restaurants, shopped.

We loved our hotel...the Embassy Suites Beachwalk...we had a 2 bedroom for our family (mom, dad, 15yo son, 16yo son, my mom).

Went 2 times to a restaurant on east side of island recommended by a previous resident of Hawaii. Haleiwa Joe's Haiku Gardens near Kaneohe.

Went to Artwalk fest at Kapiolani Park, saw Iolani Palace and King Kam Statue.

Did I say RELAX? We needed it after the busy week aboard POA.

If I can help any more let me know,

Wendy

Wendy

Please guide me to your reviews

Thank you

Another shout out to VBmom. Your information was priceless. Thanks.

Thank you. When I typed up my review I was not that happy with it. There were many more details that needed to be included. However, I was very short on time. My daughter needed to be moved to DE from MI and my husband was having major surgery upon our return from DE. My mind was not on doing that review, but I did want to post something. I knew if I didn't get it done right away, it wouldn't likely get done. I am glad it was of some help.

How is your husband doing?

Thank you for asking. My DH is doing quite well. Surgery is never fun, but we had a good outcome. He still has 5 weeks of recovery, but we are hopeful he will be moving much better in a few more days.

Thank you for asking. My DH is doing quite well. Surgery is never fun, but we had a good outcome. He still has 5 weeks of recovery, but we are hopeful he will be moving much better in a few more days.

I am glad to hear this news too!

Hawaii Review ( May 18 – May 29, 2010) Oahu and the NCL cruise

Final thoughts: All good things must come to an end they say. We truly enjoyed our vacation in Hawaii. It was not our most memorable vacation, but it was a good one. We were happy we chose the cruise as we got to see the highlights of all four islands with relative ease. We were very pleased with the weather. The temperatures were very pleasant. With our trusty GPS (Garmin) we were able to navigate the islands very easily. If you are renting cars, a GPS is a must in my mind. (And I am someone who is great with maps) It saved us a lot of time. I especially enjoyed the volcanoes, as they are so different from anything I have seen before. The water in Hawaii was so clear and the turquoise color was absolutely stunning. The sand beaches themselves are not that amazing. We have seen better. I doubt we will go back to Hawaii for another vacation, but we are definitely happy we went.

vbmom: We are in complete agreement with your final thoughts and we couldn't agree any more or say it any better.

Our trip over was to HNL started out like a bad dream, we had to change planes three times because of bad weather in Atalnta. We left from PIT then onto your airport DTW then had a two hour delay there because of a mechanical problem and sat on the tarmac for over an hour in warm plane. When we finally got to LAX where we literally had to run to our next flight that was leaving in 5 minutes to HNL. Also NO free meals when you go this route! We originally were to travel non-stop from Atalanta, but we were rerouted through DTW because of bad weather in Atlanta. We arrived in HNL after 9 PM (7 hrs after our original plans) and got in our rental car and headed to Kailua to our B&B arriving at 10:50PM and went right to bed after our 15 hour + extravaganza.

With that said, Thank You for all the tips in Oahu as we followed them to a tee using my trusty GPS that I agree with you a GPS is a must have device. BTW, we stopped at Ted's Bakery but only for some their famous baked goods. We also agree with you that the nicest beach was in Kailua. No wonder the President goes back there for his Christmas vacations.

On our way to Honolulu from Kailua we also took your advice and stopped at the Makapuu Lighthouse and you were right the views are fantastic and should not be missed. In fact, the whole drive along the coast line had many scenic view points that we stopped at and took many photos of so again thanks for the heads-up on that one.

As you said, and we couldn't agree with more, Hawaii is nice and we were glad we went, because of our anniversary celebration and the ease in which to see the islands from the ship, but I highly doubt if we too would go back as its just too much of a hassle traveling there from the east unless you can break-up the travel time and the airlines don't help much with making your travel any more enjoyable now a days.

As for the ship, it is decorated nicely and all, but most of the people who were first timers with NCL said as we did they would probably not do another cruise on NCL because of the food quality and the unimpressive restaurants. We ate at Little Italy for our Anniversary Celebration and were not impressed as it can't even compare to Sabatini's on Princesss Cruise lines. Now that is our opinion, and others may have liked it, but as they say opinions are like noses everyone has one and they are all different.

We hope your hubby is recuperating from his surgery, and will be back up and around soon so you two can go off on another exciting cruise in the near future. Regards!

Hawaii Review ( May 18 – May 29, 2010) Oahu and the NCL cruise

vbmom: We are in complete agreement with your final thoughts and we couldn't agree any more or say it any better.

As you said, and we couldn't agree with more, Hawaii is nice and we were glad we went, because of our anniversary celebration and the ease in which to see the islands from the ship, but I highly doubt if we too would go back as its just too much of a hassle traveling there from the east unless you can break-up the travel time and the airlines don't help much with making your travel any more enjoyable now a days.

We hope your hubby is recuperating from his surgery, and will be back up and around soon so you two can go off on another exciting cruise in the near future. Regards!

Sorry to hear you had so much disruption to your trip, but glad my suggestions helped you enjoy Oahu.

Delta did start some non-stop flights to Honolulu out of Detroit beginning in June. (Just certain days of the week.) We went a month too early to take advantage of that.

Even my 22 year old daughter was not all that impressed with Hawaii. Her comment after the trip was: "I don't think most people who have been to Hawaii and rave about it so much have been to all the other places we have been on the mainland and in Canada." We have travelled to a lot of National Parks which our children truly enjoyed.

I am anxious to get on another vacation with my DH. I am hoping for a full recovery, with no more recurrences of the big "C." My first choice is to go back to Alaska to see what we missed in 2008. Alaska was my very favorite vacation. For my husband, it was the Canadian Rockies. Of course, any vacation is better than being home. We are looking forward to camping in Michigan next month with our son, his wife and children. That will be relaxing!!

Archived