Electricity in Hotel Olympia

vizslapup

We are staying in Venice pre/post cruise at Hotel Olympia. Does anyone who has stayed there remember if you needed a 2 or 3 prong adapter(or does it matter).

I bought both, but would be happy to leave 1 at home if I don't need it. I need to be able to recharge my camera batteries, so that I have enough to carry me through until we board the ship.

Italy has some three-prong outlets, too. (See type L on this page.) The three prongs are in a straight line, rather than triangular, like UK plugs.

I have seen some of these three-prong outlets in hotels in Italy. I think they may be a fairly recent development.

Lisa

I've actually had a situation where there were different shaped outlets in the same apartment, from work done at different times over the years, so I take a small variety with me just in case. They are quite small and weigh next to nothing, why take the chance of being wrong?

The 3 prongs in Italy is interesting and must be fairly new! Have never seen them anywhere in Europe. Likely the two prong would work though unless the socket is specifically meant for a grounded plug....but then more than likely half the appliances sold in Italy wouldn't even fit in them.

You learn something new every day!

Linda.

My netbook has a 3 prong grounded plug and I use a 3 prong adapter in Rome. My other electronics use a 2 prong adapter in Rome. I agree that you should be prepared for either situation. By the way, the "universal" adapter I had couldn't handle the 3 prong plug (even though it should have), so I was glad I also brought individual 2 and 3 prong adapters for Italy.

DH is older and needs a night light (rather than having the bright bathroom light on all night.) I couldn't find a dual voltage night light in the US, so the last time we were in Rome, I stopped in a hardware store and bought a couple of their night lights. Now we're set for future trips to Rome.

Archived