Question for Experienced Alaska Photographers

I am trying to decide whether or not to take my "big glass" on our Alaska cruise. I have a 200-500 mm zoom that I bought for an African safari and also an 18-270 mm zoom. We will be doing the Prince of Wales Bear Viewing excursion as well as a whale watching excursion and am eager to get some good pics but don't want to bring more lens that I will need.

Will we be close enough to the bears (assuming we see any!) on Prince of Wales that the 18-270 zoom will be sufficient? Will I regret not bringing the larger lens if we spot bears, mountain goats, etc. on the shore from the ship? I have a monopod I plan to bring (especially if I take the big lens) but might not need it if I leave the big lens at home.

Thanks for your help.

I do nature photography but not a lot of "big lens" wildlife. On my cruise to Alaska, I took a 70 -300 and and a 17 -85 and found that worked for me. The 70 - 300 worked fine for a whale excursion. I also brought my tripod which came in really handy on our balcony during the cruise of Tracy Arm.

It's a tough decision about how much to carry. I know there were photographers on the cruise that brought their long lenses.

I brought a 75-300 - and the focus motor broke during the whale watching trip since I didn't want to take my pro gear (I am a professional portrait and wedding photographer)

It wasn't long enough and the whale was fairly close. I would take my longest lenses and some backup which I don't usually take travelling but I was so sorry I missed out.

That said, there were an awful lot of wildlife shooters with 600mm lenses ....even a couple on the Tracy Arm Excursion.

I am certainly not a professional photographer. What I can say is that the place we saw the most wildlife was in Denali National Park--and it was not up close and personal for the most part unlike the African safaris on which we've been. Since you don't mention that you're going to the Park, I'm sure that the recommendations of others will suffice.

I brought a 400mm lens on a recent cruise and rarely used it plus it was heavy. I think you will find a 300mm enough. With the high resolution digital cameras and most photoshop programs that will allow you to blow up the photo quite a bit. I mostly use a 18-200 and 70-300. That allowed me to take everything on tours also. The only other lens I had a use for was a 1.4 50mm lens for night shots.

My husband is the photographer in the family, so I sent the question to him. He got great pictures when we were in Alaska. He says:

"I would tell him to take the big lens and the monopod. With the big lens he’ll get photos no one with a point and shoot can manage. If he has two camera bodies, take those as well. If not, seriously consider renting an extra body for the trip. That’s not where the money is. Whichever lens is on the camera will be the wrong one at the time. "

Whichever lens is on the camera will be the wrong one at the time. "

How true. Probably one of the top ten "Murphy's Laws" of photography.

Let me put it in simple terms.....which of these scenarios would upset you the most:

1) Taking too much gear and having to lug it around and deal with the size.

2) Leaving the big lens at home and then finding how much you missed it when staring at your subjects.

There's your personal satisfaction index answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Having lived in Alaska for 8 years, I can tell you that you can't have enough lens/gadgets/tripods/monopods etc. Take what you can because you'll really miss it if you don't have it along and forget buying much of anything while you're in port.

You never know what you'll see from the ship and on any excursion tours, you'll not be up close to the wildlife unless it's something like a moose and you'll get pretty tired of taking moose pictures or mountain pictures for that matter. We have dozens of albums that have so many of these that we wonder what the heck we were thinking taking so many of them..... The bears will either be viewed from a tour bus or from the ship so the zoom lens will come in very handy.

Have a ball and for heavens sake, bring along the mosquito repellant or a sheet of scented bounce to keep the little devils from biting. They are pretty bad in some areas and if you hate the smell of deet, use the bounce fabric sheets. Rub one over your clothes and exposed skin and I can tell you from experience that it works.

Karen

Archived