Never too old!

Musicus

We got a lot of flooding here in the past two days. It washed out several bridges, as well as one covered bridge. We don't live in the flood zone, thank goodness, but I sure pity the people who do. Water is receding very slowly. Schools were closed Thursday and today because of many impassable roads.

We got a lot of flooding here in the past two days. It washed out several bridges, as well as one covered bridge. We don't live in the flood zone, thank goodness, but I sure pity the people who do. Water is receding very slowly. Schools were closed Thursday and today because of many impassable roads.

The weather this year has been strange, no one knows what to expect, so stay safe.

Cruising is done on a different kind of water.;)

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

2012 - Alaska – Amsterdam – September - 14 day cruise - getting closer to booking

2013 - Eastern Med - 28 day (includes cruising Black Sea)

Pics to follow compliments of ladysail2........

This is the last trip up the Norwegian coast before we start the return to New York. After my swim and breakfast in Copenhagen I sat a long time outside the Langelinie Cafe (still closed until 11 am), very windy and cool and a very poor and sporadic WiFi signal which barely and eventually enabled me to send out my reports but was highly frustrating as the Sunday morning wore on so that I could not reply to any emails any more and gave up. On my way back however, I stopped in the underpass behind the Cafe and "just for the hell of it" tried for WiFi and was surprised with a strong and steady signal so that I could finish my work. However, by then the battery was down to less than 10 minutes and I drove back to the ship, parked in front of the German "Aida".

At the dinner table I found 4 newcomers, a couple from France and another from California; Michelle from France spoke quite well (and lots) English, whereas her husband Miguel gave Michael, the American husband of Catharine, the opportunity to practice Spanish. So everyone was taken care of and the champagne helped no end. There are 1025 Germans and 150 Austrians on board; together they represent nearly half of the passenger list of 2540 and 42 nationalities.

September 5, at sea; I had to forego my swimming this morning, because the water was too cold and even the jacuzzi wasn't warm enough. Writing this in the wine bar with the Scrabble Box prominently displayed; many people wander by but there are no takers. In the afternoon, I again play the piano in the atrium. And tonight is again the general cocktail party.

(Later) After three Martinis, I felt no pain and the Dinner was rather amusing. By the way, my piano playing was this time especially well received. Thanks for the flowers.

September 6, Olden: Certainly the place I like best. It's very much like regions in BC and around Kandersteg in Switzerland. In the morning when I went swimming, the weather looked rather "iffy" but thankfully cleared up later. I drove to the little cafe in the supermarket of the village, where I was greeted by the owners who hoped to see me back next year! I was able to do a lot of work, especially research connected with plans for next year, but also could send out some important emails.

You see everything on the ship: predominently older people, many with canes, walkers or in wheelchairs, pushed or electric; at the other end of the scale are young couples with kids barely 6 months o ld either carried or in strollers; of course there are any number of older ones also. An astounding number of people are overweight, some grossly so (I mentioned before that once in a while you encounter a tank); men with belts below bulging bellies, women who can hardly walk. There is preciously little beauty to be found. On Gala nights, many people don't bother at all to dress up even a little, which reduces the atmosphere of the intended festivity greatly. That's the way it is.

Sepetmber 7, Bergen: What a day - it was raining cats and dogs, I couldn't swim and couldn't go out until after 10AM when the downpour had reduced to a sprinkle. I made it to McD's -about 1.5 KM, dodging lots of puddles (it's against the company's advice to drive in rain because splashes can cause a short in the motor or connections). However, all went well, even the drive back, this time in pretty steady rain. I had one of those thin plastic raincapes and it helped, but everything got pretty wet just the same. What one does'n't do for being in touch!

September 8, Kristiansand: This is really a nice place, a city with many pcturesque areas and parks and generally conveying a real "laid back' atmosphere. And it sports one of the most elegant McDonald's I've seen (and I have seen many!!); as you can judge for yourself from the attached photograph I took of my roost, where I even could plug in to electricity! I also took another snapshot out the window of the street crossing. Unfortunately the water this mornoing was too cold to swim in since they had changed it overnight.

September 9, Oslo: But this morning the pool was again warm enough and I did my stint of 20 laps. I sure have to apply discipline to get up (with the alarm clock) 10 Minutes before 7am and go swimming. Why so early? Firstly, because at this time there are few people in the pool, if any, and I want to be ready to go ashore after breakfast, as we usually dock anywhere from 8 to 10am. By the way: next to the pool (but far anough away) is the smoking area where every morning I see lots of people with their java and cigarette (and smell it as I walk by). And on the side balcony above the pool many people are jogging or power walking and trying desperately to take off what they put on at last night's dinner. All these scenes increase in size as the morning wears on or until times of excursions, to be horded like sheep, following the shephard who is holding up a paddle with a big number which matches the one pasted to your attire. Anyway, it was a gorgeous but cool day in Oslo, autumn is definitely in the air. I sat first in front of McD's which opened only at 10, later inside, but quit early because we had to be back at the ship at 12.15pm already for departure at 13.00. I and seemingly everyone else came back at the same time and I had to wait some 20 minutes until I could garner an elevator to take me with my scooter from deck 4 to deck 12.

September 10, Kiel: Swim in the morning, cool air but warm water. After breakfast - and the waiters all seem to know my "usual": 1/2 Grapefruit, frosted flakes with cold milk, fruit yoghurt, and are proud to recite it when I sit down. Sometimes, though, I fool them and have a 3-minute boiled egg (which occasionally is actually a 3 minute boiled egg), or bran instead of frosted flakes. Of course, I also have been known to have eggs and bacon. (all vital information for you, I'm sure!) Anyway, to come back to after breakfast: I prepared to go down to the exit and wait for the opportunity to leave the ship before some 1000 people who disembark this morning. Because they always let me in through a cordoned off area close to the exit, I succeeded and was actually in my seat at the cafe before 10.30AM - it was fast and easy, also with the shuttle bus which was empty when I boarded and burst at the seams when it left for the Station. All sort of middle and upper personel also leaves here and is replaced, including the Captain and all his officers. The Captain came to me at the cocktail party for VIPs last night and very warmly and long shook my hand and said goodbye. I really got the feeling of "belonging to the family" because also others made a point of doing the same. The Captain will be replced by the original one, Romano whom I also know.

Jerry came again in the early afternoon - he has lived in Kiel some 6 years, got to know his German/Canadian wife in Toronto where she had lived (married and divorced) for 20 years; his parents come from North Bay. You'll find a picture of us attached and also one of Michaela, the pretty manager of the cafe, who, when I left, presented me with a small gift of chocolates from her and the employees - how very sweet of them. And, she invited me to the capuccino which I had ordered. I had become somewhat of a "Stammgast" since I have been there no less than 14 times! And so the long stay in Europe comes to an end with just a lttle bit of melancholy, as now we leave for overseas again, perchance to embark once more!

Had a horrible, scary night last night. The chest pain wouldn't stop and so I had my hubby take me to Heart of Lancaster. I made him sit with me in the parking lot for about 15 minutes until I didn't get relief and just for safety sake. Wound up deciding to finally go in and was admitted after chest x-ray and blood work. This morning started with a nuclear stress test (which I failed at the last few minutes of walking). After that, it was some sort of other test where they took pictures of my heart laying on my back and then on my stomach. They gave me some heparin early morning just in case of any blood clots and I now have a huge purple bruise about the size of a silver dollar and ugly. After that, I got an echocardiogram and don't have the results back yet, but I'm sure you were all right....stress from the past six months with trying to sell our house, decisions for my Budha and the loss of a dear friend who meant a lot to me and who I treated rather s**tty and regret.

Thanks for all your caring. Onward and upward with this crazy life of mine. Boy do I need a vacation, but that won't happen any time soon. At least I'm not in an unhealthy state and will live to annoy people for some time to come.

Love to you all!!! (Special thanks to Laura.)

Haven't read everything...just bits and pieces...but wanted to share "my experience" with you

Back in Feb, this year, I had a "strange occurrence" It was almost like I was passing out without losing conscientiousness. (chest pains had been happening for a few days) After a night in the hospital and all tests coming out ok, I went home. Went back the next week for a 21 day event monitor. After the 21 days, all it had shown was my heart stopped for 4.1 seconds ONCE. Did the chemical stress test. Questionable. So a loop monitor was implanted. I have had excess stomach acid and GERD for several years...the EGD showed I had narrowing of the esophagus. The first time the loop monitor was checked, all was cleared so the narrowing of the esophagus made sense that was the cause of my problems...mimicking the chest pain.....first part of Aug when in for the loop monitor again and less than a week later was having a pacemaker implanted and the loop monitor came out. The monitor had shown that my heart was beating to slow and was stopping for 3-5 seconds at a time several times a day. I was persistent in my care because heart disease is VERY HIGH in my family....be persistent in your care....Heart disease is the number 1 killer of woman

Haven't read everything...just bits and pieces...but wanted to share "my experience" with you

Back in Feb, this year, I had a "strange occurrence" It was almost like I was passing out without losing conscientiousness. (chest pains had been happening for a few days) After a night in the hospital and all tests coming out ok, I went home. Went back the next week for a 21 day event monitor. After the 21 days, all it had shown was my heart stopped for 4.1 seconds ONCE. Did the chemical stress test. Questionable. So a loop monitor was implanted. I have had excess stomach acid and GERD for several years...the EGD showed I had narrowing of the esophagus. The first time the loop monitor was checked, all was cleared so the narrowing of the esophagus made sense that was the cause of my problems...mimicking the chest pain.....first part of Aug when in for the loop monitor again and less than a week later was having a pacemaker implanted and the loop monitor came out. The monitor had shown that my heart was beating to slow and was stopping for 3-5 seconds at a time several times a day. I was persistent in my care because heart disease is VERY HIGH in my family....be persistent in your care....Heart disease is the number 1 killer of woman

Thanks for the info. My older sister gets a pacemaker on the 23rd of this month. Heart disease does run in our family. I was extremely scared when it was happening though. Couldn't catch my breath.

The weather this year has been strange, no one knows what to expect, so stay safe.

Cruising is done on a different kind of water.;)

Previous Cruises:

2012 - Alaska – Amsterdam – September - 14 day cruise - getting closer to booking

Okie1946>>what ship are you going on for the Eastern Med? I did it once, but only for 12 days. Loved it. Went on Costa Concordia.

Okie1946>>what ship are you going on for the Eastern Med? I did it once, but only for 12 days. Loved it. Went on Costa Concordia.

So far it looks like it will be the Prisendam - we chose the cruise we are looking at because we were stationed in Turkey for 2 1/2 years and I loved it. Because of DH's job he was not allowed to travel (security reasons). This cruise gives us an opportunity to see Turkey and portions of the former Soviet Union that we would never have been able to see before. Because this cruise has an over night in Istanbul, it would give us an opportunity to go to the village we lived in and hopefully find old friends. DH is due to retire the end of Feb 2012 - unless there are contract changes that will extend retirement date out to Feb 2013.. Either way - we are going to med in 2013 and am so looking forward to it.

Previous Cruises:

Pics to follow...

September 11, Copenhagen: While driving down to the underpass behind the Langeline Cafe this Sunday morning, I escaped a tremendous thnderstorm which broke out as soon as I got there. However, the internet signal was fine and I was able to send out the reports and deal with emails. The problem I have is with my back, though, sitting on the scooter especially, working the laptop; but also sitting in front of the computer for several hours each day generally gives me considerable back pain and weakness so that I am always glad to be able to lie down.

While the pool was cold enough for me to swim only 15 laps, today, September 12 (we are at sea), it was nice and warm but very agitated because we have 60km/hr wind and the sea is very choppy which makes the pool water swish lustily from end to end. I did my 20 laps however.

Later I visited with Ann, the sweet cruise dirrector, got to know the very nice new hotel manager, was invited for a capuccino and agreed to take part in the talent show to be held in the theater on one of the next few days. I also got the breakdown of the nearly 2400 new passengers which include 1205 English speaking ones from the US, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand and 1052 Germans; there are also 66 Swiss on board. This afternoon I'll play again in the atrium.

September 13, Zeebrugge: After an uneventful day at sea (of course I played and met new people who appreciated it), this morning the pool was freezing and so it was only Jacuzzi for me. We were moored in in industrial area pretty far away from anything and I took the shuttle bus to Blankenberge, which, surprisingly, does not have a McDonalds. I cruised aroung the town sightseeing und looking for an internet cafe which I found to be closewd for holidays until October 4. So I went into a hotel, where I bought 30 minutes internet access, then I went further, stoped at an info booth which directed me to the local library where I found free internet, but only for about an hour. Neverthelss, I was able to achieve most that I had to.

September 14, Southampton: Pool was nice, swam 20 laps. After breakfast went ashore over seemlingly endless serpentine gangways from deck 7 down to ground level, found a taxi which took me to 118 Southfield Lane, where Sylvia, the widow of my deceased cousin Peter has a beautiful old (100 years) house. It was wonderful seeing her again (last time was in May) and her hospitality is legendary. Later we were joined by my "kissin' cousin" Olivia and we spent a few wonderful hours together, highlighted by Sylivia's culinary expertise -rack of lamb, no less!- revisited memories and a walk in Sylvia's large garden, a profusion of beauty. Not only did she pay for the taxi from the ship, but they also brought me back to it. I do hope that I may be privileged to see them both again in the future.

September 15/16 At Sea and Vigo: The at sea day saw me swimming, playing Scrabble and piano, the last with as much success as the former. Since there are 490 Australians on board, I injected "Tie me kangaroo down, boy" and "Waltzing Mathilda" in my repertoire and they whooped and hollered in appreciation.

Almost at Vigo on the 16th, swimming was impossible because the pool had overflown and was icy - so it was Jacuzzi for me. I was again surprised at the size of Vigo - it's a big and very important city. I had been here only once before on May 15, and remembered that just opposite the cruise terminal building was a big shopping center and that there, on the third floor in a cafe, you could had WiFi, which was true, but periodically it quit for a while. I had been trying frantically to order on eBay a refurbished instrument panel and have never before encountered a website so difficult to navigate after having made the decision to buy. I must have spent a few hours on this - it's competely disorganised to the extend that firstly they do not seem to have a safe site for entering Credit Card information, but the button "Pay now" leads nowhere. I sent them an email and they replied that I could pay by Paypal by pressing the Pay Now button - it still doesn't get there. So I had to give up for today; while the order is placed (to be sent to a PO in New York), they won't send it until it's paid, of course and now, Friday evening, I'll have to wait until Monday but while I hope that they will look after this even on a Saturday (when I'll be in Lisbon and have WiFi) I don't know when I'll next have the chance if this doesn't complete. What a bloody nuisance.

On my way back to the ship, lo and behold, I met another Travelscoot from Australia - the first one I've seen in my 11 months travel.

September 17, Lisbon: Oh Dear. A lovely late Summer day. I was offered a free ride on the Shuttle Bus into the city (normal cost 10 Euro) and took it in favour of going to my usual internet cafe along the waterfront not very far from where we docked. A city full of life, especially today, a Saturday, and with several cruiseships in the port, hundreds of tourists swelled the local population. So eventually I wound up at a McDonald's, which I thought was the worst looking I encountered , although I couldn't go upstairs which might have been better than downstairs where I was. There were only some counters where you would have to stand to eat or, as in my case, do computer work, and that's what I did, my Scooter below and beside me and slightly back. All morning I tried vainly to pay with PayPal for the instrument cluster I bought on eBay for my car and was very frustrated and involved because of the difficulties I encountered. When I finally had to give up because there was no more time left on the netbook battery, I was ready to leave, only to discover that the small black leather bag in which I carry the netbook, was gone from the Scooter. It contained my passport, two checkbooks and my camera, besides some papers of importance to me. Of course it was stupid of me to have left this in the Scooter, especially in a place as crowded as McD was on a Saturday afternoon and me being engrossed with my computer. That sinking feeling, that rush of bloodpressure, the breaking out in cold sweat could easily have produced a heart attack. But seemingly out of the blue a couple from England, also passengers on Poesia, materialized, stayed and supported me throughout my attempts to get somewhere with the manager, a young woman, and some employees of which I strongly supected one who was mopping the floor close to the scooter and which I had noticed through the corner of my eye. Again I remember the day in Bergen, when the bag containing an expensive professional camera of a Portuguese Producer was stolen, while he was interviewing me sitting at a table aisle end, with the bag at his feet. Also here I felt that this was an inside job, because the location was at the end of the aisle where a door, used by employees, was leading to kitchen and offices and was often used.

These good people, Stuart and Pamela Glasgow came with me all the way to the police station, bought me a coffee and stayed with me for almost 2 hours while I first had to wait because there were people ahead. In between we tried in vain to contact the Canadian or British Embassy or Consulate or the Lisbon representatice of MSC - Saturday! Finally, the report was made and signed, for whatever good it may do, and then Stuart came with me all the way back to the Shuttle Bus and the Ship, always most concerned about me all the way. En route we stopped again at McD's and he went in to enquire whether maybe someone had handed the bag in (maybe only less the camera), but no dice. It was a very long shot.

Stuart came up to my cabin with me and I phoned Allan who also came and we all had a drink, not to celebrate but to console! I was very glad to at least have made a photocopy of my passport and Allan will see what can be done - I am of course concerned about being able to going ashore in New York or Canada. Also Allan has again been very helpful in letting me phone the USBank to cancel these cheques and sending an email for the same to the Bank of Montreal. How fortunate I am to have such good friends, old and new. In adversity I am blessed. And Life goes on.

Subtle changes have happened: Tap water is available (was never in Europe) Cranberry, Apple and V8Juices (instead of anemic orange or grapefruit juices), On a Gala night lobster appears again on the menu (was never in Europe either) and prices are given in both Euro and $$. Can coffee after dinner, as was offered in America, be far behind?