One Day docked in Halifax

I am contacting tour companies in Halifax and trying to decide what to see. Is it possible to get to see the Bay of Funday AND peggy's cove in the same day?

I live in Halifax and would say no . The Bay of Fundy is too far

I am contacting tour companies in Halifax and trying to decide what to see. Is it possible to get to see the Bay of Funday AND peggy's cove in the same day?

Person to ask is Jonathan of Your Cab Co. in Halifax. www.yourcab.ca. Excellent tours in Halifax - can do the norm or custom it to your liking. Vicki:)

Some of my background... I live "near" the Bay of Fundy (it is about 10 minutes from my house - over the "north mountain" in Kings County - and I am about an hour's drive from Halifax).

Leaving from my house, I "can" go to Peggy's cove and make it back home in a day.... makes for a nice day trip.

I will probably do this trip in a couple of weeks when our son comes home from Edmonton, bringing his new girlfriend home to meet mom and dad... She has always lived in land-locked Alberta, and has never seen the Atlantic.:)

However, with the short time that most ships are in port, to travel the hour from Halifax to the Annapolis Valley, then over the mountain to the Bay of Fundy, spend a bit of time, then haul butt across the middle of NS (another hour +/- of travel time) to Chester, then 1/2 hour back toward Halifax from Chester just to get to Peggy's Cove, which is still 1/2 hour or so to return to Halifax, you will not have enough time to visit Peggy's Cove, and still get back to your ship before she sails.

(It would be about 5 - 6 hours of driving alone, without any "stops")

It is nice to watch the cruise ships as they sail out of the Halifax Harbour:rolleyes:, unless of course you are supposed to be on one of them:eek:.

If your cruise stops at St John NB, do the Bay of Fundy from there (it is the "other" side of the bay - but still nice) and do Peggy's Cove from your Halifax stop.

But if you do not stop in St John NB, then i would suggest seeing the Bay of Fundy from your Halifax stop... we have the worlds highest tides (40 feet difference between high and low tide), but you will not have enough time to see both the high and the low tide (takes 6 hours to change)...

We also have several wineries in the Annapols Valley, which offer tours and tasting:).

Grand Pre National Historic Site is near Wolfville, that is the place where the Acadians (French Settlers) were expelled from Canada over 400 years ago by the British... some of them moved to New Orleans, when they were forced to leave, where the name "Acadians" was shortened to "Cajuns" (your history lesson for today)...

A nice shore day trip could include a stop at Grand Pre, a Winery Tour, and a stop at Hall's Harbour (a quaint little fishing village on the Bay of Fundy and have some GOOD local Lobster:cool:)... all this could be do-able on a Halifax port day.

• 2 weeks later...
Some of my background... I live "near" the Bay of Fundy (it is about 10 minutes from my house - over the "north mountain" in Kings County - and I am about an hour's drive from Halifax).

Leaving from my house, I "can" go to Peggy's cove and make it back home in a day.... makes for a nice day trip.

I will probably do this trip in a couple of weeks when our son comes home from Edmonton, bringing his new girlfriend home to meet mom and dad... She has always lived in land-locked Alberta, and has never seen the Atlantic.:)

However, with the short time that most ships are in port, to travel the hour from Halifax to the Annapolis Valley, then over the mountain to the Bay of Fundy, spend a bit of time, then haul butt across the middle of NS (another hour +/- of travel time) to Chester, then 1/2 hour back toward Halifax from Chester just to get to Peggy's Cove, which is still 1/2 hour or so to return to Halifax, you will not have enough time to visit Peggy's Cove, and still get back to your ship before she sails.

It is nice to watch the cruise ships as they sail out of the Halifax Harbour:rolleyes:, unless of course you are supposed to be on one of them:eek:.

If your cruise stops at St John NB, do the Bay of Fundy from there (it is the "other" side of the bay - but still nice) and do Peggy's Cove from your Halifax stop.

But if you do not stop in St John NB, then i would suggest seeing the Bay of Fundy from your Halifax stop... we have the worlds highest tides (40 feet difference between high and low tide), but you will not have enough time to see both the high and the low tide (takes 6 hours to change)...

We also have several wineries in the Annapols Valley, which offer tours and tasting:).

Grand Pre National Historic Site is near Wolfville, that is the place where the Acadians (French Settlers) were expelled from Canada over 400 years ago by the British... some of them moved to New Orleans, when they were forced to leave, where the name "Acadians" was shortened to "Cajuns" (your history lesson for today)...

A nice shore day trip could include a stop at Grand Pre, a Winery Tour, and a stop at Hall's Harbour (a quaint little fishing village on the Bay of Fundy and have some GOOD local Lobster:cool:)... all this could be do-able on a Halifax port day.

Where's the best GOOD local Lobster:cool:)... ??????

I would say no to the Bay of Fundy and Peggy;s Cove on the same day. I would pick Peggy;s Cove (although I prefer Lunenburg and Mahone Bay) espechially if the ship is also calling on Saint John.

I would say no to the Bay of Fundy and Peggy;s Cove on the same day. I would pick Peggy;s Cove (although I prefer Lunenburg and Mahone Bay) espechially if the ship is also calling on Saint John.

We are not going to Saint John - and there are fishing villages in many parts of the world, but only one Bay of Fundy - so why would you choose to go to Peggy's Cove instead of the bay?

In all fairness, I have been to both areas a couple times over the last couple of years and I love both. They have some similarities and some uniqueness. Only you know what will interest you more. As I've said previously, you can do both Fundy and Peggy's cove in one day but you're going to spend most of your time in the vehicle. If you're never going to get here again, and really want to do both, then do both, but if you think you'll be back I'd choose one and do the other another time. I put it this way to someone over on trip advisor...

If you are into wine and cheese, lush fertile valleys, local artisan galleries, spectacular cliff and sea views, the history of the Acadians, the fundy tides and lovely little university towns, I'd try Grand-Pre/Wolfville area. You could check the Canadian Hydrographic Services Website to get tide changes to see if you can be there during a tide change. http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi?queryType=showFrameset&zone=30&language=english&region=5&stnnum=290

Now if you're into lighthouses, wild rugged rocky coasts, the history of boatbuilding, sailing, fishing, whaling, quaint little touristy towns with local artisan galleries, museums and historic properties, cafes and seafood restaurants then Peggy's Cove, Lunenberg/Mahone Bay would be the place to go.

Here's the Peggy's Cove webcam http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/south-shore/peggys-cove.html#axzz0thW2itM8

In all fairness, I have been to both areas a couple times over the last couple of years and I love both. They have some similarities and some uniqueness. Only you know what will interest you more. As I've said previously, you can do both Fundy and Peggy's cove in one day but you're going to spend most of your time in the vehicle. If you're never going to get here again, and really want to do both, then do both, but if you think you'll be back I'd choose one and do the other another time. I put it this way to someone over on trip advisor...

If you are into wine and cheese, lush fertile valleys, local artisan galleries, spectacular cliff and sea views, the history of the Acadians, the fundy tides and lovely little university towns, I'd try Grand-Pre/Wolfville area. You could check the Canadian Hydrographic Services Website to get tide changes to see if you can be there during a tide change. http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi?queryType=showFrameset&zone=30&language=english&region=5&stnnum=290

Now if you're into lighthouses, wild rugged rocky coasts, the history of boatbuilding, sailing, fishing, whaling, quaint little touristy towns with local artisan galleries, museums and historic properties, cafes and seafood restaurants then Peggy's Cove, Lunenberg/Mahone Bay would be the place to go.

Here's the Peggy's Cove webcam http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/south-shore/peggys-cove.html#axzz0thW2itM8

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Your detail is wonderful!

I'm benefiting from your expertise also. I was undecided but will now see Bay of Fundy while in Saint John's and Peggy's Cove while in Halifax. We will be in Halifax twice on a 14 day cruise late Sept. early Oct. I thought we would do the HopOn HopOff bus one day.

Patsy

I think we will see the Bay of Fundy - walk on the bay floor during low tide - lunch in Hall's Harbor - not usre what, if anything, else.... we'll skip Peggy's Cove.

Good choice, I think you'll enjoy your day. If you like wine, there are many vinyards in the area around Wolfville & Grand Pre. One we've been to a couple of times is the Gaspereau Vinyards. http://www.gaspereauwine.com/default.asp?mn=1.78.87 They give free tours at 12:00, 2:00 and 4:00 and you get to sample many of their excellent wines and learn something about the wine production in the area.

Our ship will be in port 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. I'd like to hire a van and driver for Cape Breton/Cabot Trail (172 miles). Is this something that we could do in the given time frame?

Our ship will be in port 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. I'd like to hire a van and driver for Cape Breton/Cabot Trail (172 miles). Is this something that we could do in the given time frame?

Sorry ..you need another 5 hours just to drive around the trail, then another 172 m. to get back.. So 11 hours :eek:with no stops to eat or to view anything on the trail.

Definitely not a day trip from Halifax. The Cabot Trail itself is about 300 miles of two lane roads and not very fast driving. There are some cruise ships that do dock in Sydney, you might be able to do some of the Cabot Trail more easily from there. Just going to have to come back another time. :D

This is getting confusing! It is difficult to do a trip around the Cabot Trail from the port in Sydney in one day. Do not even think of it from Halifax.

Halifax to Baddeck 350 Km (218 miles) and 4 hours 20 minutes.

Baddeck to Baddeck around the trail is 296 kilometers (184 miles) and over four hours without stopping.

Thanks for your helpful answers.

Last cruise, the ship made a very early service call just to drop off those for Cabot trail. The meeting point later in the day was at the pier in Stanley. It doesn't appear that the cruise ships are doing that any longer.

Will rethink this port....perhaps arrange a van tour to Peggy's Cove area or rent a car.

This is getting confusing! It is difficult to do a trip around the Cabot Trail from the port in Sydney in one day. Do not even think of it from Halifax.

Halifax to Baddeck 350 Km (218 miles) and 4 hours 20 minutes.

Baddeck to Baddeck around the trail is 296 kilometers (184 miles) and over four hours without stopping.

I am hoping I am making the right decision from Sydney to go to louisburg half day vs going on the Cabot trail. We have dead roll call but HAL offers the Cabot trail from Sydney in 7 8 hours.

I made an error, maryann ns is correct, the cabot trail is only 184 miles, so while you can't do it as a day trip from Halifax, you could likely do it from Sydney. I haven't done the Cabot Trail since I was a kid, our family did itover a long weekend I hope to get back sometime this sumer or Fall.

I am hoping I am making the right decision from Sydney to go to louisburg half day vs going on the Cabot trail. We have dead roll call but HAL offers the Cabot trail from Sydney in 7 8 hours.

I imagine you made the right choice, Louisburg would be a lot more fun then spending several hours on a tour bus.

You will be pressed to do the Cabot Trail from Sydney as well. It takes perhaps an hour to get to the beginning of it from the pier, and you have to allow for stops. I would opt for Louisbourg unless you are going after Oct. 15. Then I would suggest a drive to Baddeck and area.

Archived