Czech Republic travel/health insurance ?

robthens

Up comming trip includes 4 day stay in the Czech Republic.

Travel information we have received states that the Czech Republic requires that all travellers provide documentation of a minimum of $45,000 in medical coverage in the form of health insurance or travel protection.

It further states, the minimum coverage of $45,000 must cover possible medical expenses and hospitaliztion charges as a result of accidents or unexpected illness while travelling abroad, including repatriation to the US.

Who checks this documentation? When is it checked?

Open for suggestion

Thanks in advance.

This requirement is posted on the US State Dept travel website. We called our travel insurance and they sent us each what they called a "Schengen Letter" which states that we have the amount of medical coverage required by the Schengen Agreement. We were told by AMA that "nobody checks for that" and then told by somebody else that USA is exempt from this requirement. I have never heard of anyone needing proof but wonder why it is on the State Dept site if USA is exempt. I doubt if it is needed or both travel insurance and AMA would make sure you know you need it...but, on the other hand, I have not been impressed with the attention we are getting from AMA since we paid in full. They were calling us before but as soon as booking was done, we haven't heard a word. We do have final documents so they know we are coming.

We flew into the Czech Republic on May 27 for a pre cruise extension in Prague and no one asked for this info. Since we had already entered the EU in Amsterdam before connecting to the Prague flight, we went through EU immigration and customs there. In Prague we got off the flight, collected luggage, and left the airport, met by our Uniworld people. No customs or immigration there, as we were in the same EU "travel zone" as in Amsterdam.

We just carried a copy of our travel insurance with us in case, which we would do anyway.

This subject comes up every year or so on this board.I have never heard of anyone who was checked for insurance.We have been there 2 times and never checked.Can you just imagine what that would do to tourism if they checked everyone on the river cruises.? Don't worry about it.

I believe a Schengen visa is only required if your stay is longer than 90 days. You could double check and have peace of mind by calling the Czech Republic consulate, which I believe is located in Houston, TX.

The real issue isn't how the Czech Republic determines whether a tourist has health insurance. The issue is what if you're the lucky tourist that happens to get checked and you don't have it? They state they have the right to refuse you entry, and that could definitely ruin a vacation! I'd rather play by the rules and have peace of mind than save a few dollars and risk ruining a vacation.

There is no required Visa....it's just proof you have medical insurance so the CZ doesn't get stuck paying for someone who is not a citizen....maybe we should learn something from them. The State Dept also says you have to prove the ability to support yourself while you are there. I don't think this is a big deal....our letter just says we have medical coverage as required. We asked about it because the dec page we got lists our amount of coverage as a base and then lists the upgrades. It doesn't specifically say we bought the upgrade that we bought....without it we would only have $25,000 coverage and the requirement is $45,000. You can prove ability to support with a credit card. We are bringing this thinking it would be our luck that something would happen the day before we leave to make them start checking. If you have an insurance card, that is all you need, I would supposed.

We were on Avalon's Tapestry last fall from Budapest to Prague (well Nuremberg via river then bus to Prague). I simply called the insurance company (purchased through insure my trip dot com instead of the cruise line) and told them what I needed in Prague. They just modified the policy so that we had $25K coverage elsewhere but on date xx/xx/09 to xx/xx/09 while in the Czech, we had increased coverage of $45K.

easy peasy simple as pie. I don't recall if there was an additional charge but if there was I believe it had to be nominal because I consider myself "price sensitive" and would have remembered having to shell out more money for the Czech Rep.

hope this helps.

Thanks to all who replied.

After the fact, I've checked with my United Health Care & we have international coverage if it is an emergency (out of network.....LOL)

I do realize we would be out of pocket and have to file.

Can't wait for this cold weather trip. Sure is HOT in Texas!

Archived