JS question

Hi everyone!

I am one of the people that got bumped off the Serenade 3/26/11 cruise that was chartered by forces unknown. I was booked in a GS, and of the options I couldn't get the transfer to the same cabin grade on the only other cruise offered on the Serenade with the OBC offered. So I ended up switching to the Adventure and downgrading to a JS. I am not happy about it, but it made sense for the money.

My question is this: Do I still get the full menu option for room service in a JS as in the higher suites or will I be stuck with the same limited menu as a stateroom?

According to the brochure I got when I originally booked it appears that I do, but on the web site it seems like I don't. It isn't really clear from what I am reading and I am wondering if anyone here has recently had a JS and knows for sure. Thanks in advance.

I was worried about that. :mad: The brochure clearly shows the full menu as one of the benefits yet the RCL web site clearly shows it isn't. Just another thing that I feel jobbed on with this booking. I am really considering switching lines for my next cruise. RCL is not making me happy these days, and I think it may be time to try another line. I have been thinking about Silversea. RCL is moving in a direction with the Mall of the Seas mentality of ship design for some time now. I think the Radiance class was the pinnacle of design on their part and every class since is more like checking into an airport. :mad:

Thanks for the info.

You can try and request special items for room service...you may or may not get them.

And yes unfortunately JS aren't entitled to the same perks as a GS. And Adventure is a much different experience than the Serenade is...I know there are plenty of pax out there that love the Adventure but I wouldn't sail anything other than the Serenade if I were going RCI out of PR.:)

Yeah, I am a Radiance class fan also. To be fair I haven't actually sailed on any of the larger ships so my opinion isn't from firsthand experience. But having studied the deck plans for Voyager and Freedom classes I doubt I will like these ships very much.

I only decided to take the Adventure cruise because of the OBC that RCL offered over getting the boot off the Serenade was limited to a few dates on the Serenade or Adventure. RCL offered to keep the rate for the same cabin type and throw in a $400 OBC for suites, which I thought was reasonable.

The problem was that all the Grand Suites were booked on the only other date I wanted of the limited offer on the Serenade. They had OS available, so I had my travel agent call and point out my issue. I wanted to be upgraded to OS for the same rate, and they could keep the OBC (which wasn't exactly equal, but I felt like they could do this if they wanted to since I was C+A Plat. level, heard that they do upgrades sometimes anyway, travel alone and so the cost of food etc. is less, and had a holiday cruise booked for this Dec.). I instructed my agent that if they said no to the upgrade proposal, then I would switch down to JS on AOS but only if the $400 OBC stood. However, the additional caveat was that if they didn't upgrade, not only was I going to go down a cabin category, I would also cancel the Christmas cruise. They said no without counterproposal. My agent said that the RCL rep said, and I quote, "Nice try though." So I cancelled the holiday cruise, downgraded the cabin, and am now sailing on a ship I am lukewarm on. The financial net for me was that I pulled about $3500 of cabin rates off the table. "Nice follow through," I am thinking to myself!

So now I am thinking about Silversea for my next cruise. It is not like RCL, and I am not saying that this is an apples to apples comparison. The rates are significantly higher, though it is all inclusive. But the thing that is attracting me is that I believe that they will care more about me as a customer than RCL does.

Yeah, I am a Radiance class fan also. To be fair I haven't actually sailed on any of the larger ships so my opinion isn't from firsthand experience. But having studied the deck plans for Voyager and Freedom classes I doubt I will like these ships very much.

I only decided to take the Adventure cruise because of the OBC that RCL offered over getting the boot off the Serenade was limited to a few dates on the Serenade or Adventure. RCL offered to keep the rate for the same cabin type and throw in a $400 OBC for suites, which I thought was reasonable.

The problem was that all the Grand Suites were booked on the only other date I wanted of the limited offer on the Serenade. They had OS available, so I had my travel agent call and point out my issue. I wanted to be upgraded to OS for the same rate, and they could keep the OBC (which wasn't exactly equal, but I felt like they could do this if they wanted to since I was C+A Plat. level, heard that they do upgrades sometimes anyway, travel alone and so the cost of food etc. is less, and had a holiday cruise booked for this Dec.). I instructed my agent that if they said no to the upgrade proposal, then I would switch down to JS on AOS but only if the $400 OBC stood. However, the additional caveat was that if they didn't upgrade, not only was I going to go down a cabin category, I would also cancel the Christmas cruise. They said no without counterproposal. My agent said that the RCL rep said, and I quote, "Nice try though." So I cancelled the holiday cruise, downgraded the cabin, and am now sailing on a ship I am lukewarm on. The financial net for me was that I pulled about $3500 of cabin rates off the table. "Nice follow through," I am thinking to myself!

So now I am thinking about Silversea for my next cruise. It is not like RCL, and I am not saying that this is an apples to apples comparison. The rates are significantly higher, though it is all inclusive. But the thing that is attracting me is that I believe that they will care more about me as a customer than RCL does.

Sorry disagree completely. #1 you saved $3500 which is a plus and gives you at least another cruise if not more. My favorite ship is the Serenade because of the class being all glass and the staff on that ship is the best! That being said I have cruised on Voyager and Freedom class (Independence when brand spanking new) and have just even done Oasis.

You will not be disappointed on eighter of the Voyager or Freedom class ships. Voyager is just a smaller version of Freedom class. Although the focus is on the Promenade which is their "mall" it is a great people watching place and the Cafe you will love. Next they have an ice skating rink on them and even if you do not participate the shows there are worth going.

I had a minor problem on the Oasis and voiced my concern. They sent me $250 credit. This was not asked for but their customer service will do whatever is needed. Maybe your TA has to go to a higher level than the rep she normally uses (mine did for me). Also give them a chance. Yes the other line is more expensive and all inclusive but that does not mean they care more. RCCL customer service happens to be better than most. You had an unusual situation that does not happen normally.

Sit back and enjoy the Adventure. Big deal if you don't get more choices on the room service menu. Get out there and enjoy yourself and you will meet some great people.

Unfortunatly you will not have the same perks from the JS. We still book them because you receive extra credits for them and we love the EXTRA room in the cabin. We are also almost diamond plus so we receive perks from other sources. RC should really decide how to market those rooms better, by applying SUITE to them they should receive all the perks, or change the language.

We now have been sailing alot of Celebrity cruises and book the same category, Sky suite. On those cruises you DO receive ALL the perks of the suite guests, so think about it!!!:p:p

Drama, what happened is that some group chartered the WHOLE ship! So they cancelled everyone with reservations. Anyway, from a business standpoint I understand their choice. To be fair RCL did offer OBC and to hold the rate, but only for a few very specific sailings either on the Serenade or the Adventure. The problem in my case was that of the sailings offered only one date on the Serenade worked and all of the GS were already booked.

So some kind of change had to happen.

I REALLY have no interest in sailing on anything other than the Radiance class if I am going to be on RCL. I find the added 'options' (like an ice rink . . . really I live in New England if I wanted to skate I would have stayed home) unappealing, and bemoan the loss of Chops on the Voyager class. However, I still wanted to cruise and the OBC was a good enough carrot when combined with the lower rate on a JS on the Adventure. I had no interest in booking a GS on the AOS because of the layout. For reasons unknown, RCL put the Concierge Lounge on deck 9, yet all the suites are located on deck 10! It might seem petty, but it is one of the many peeves I have with the Voyager class. Why on earth would you put something that only suite guests can use on a deck with no suites that are allowed to use the amenity?

Guess they were busy trying to find a way so shoehorn a few more cabins in :rolleyes:

Archived