No excursions, just jump in a taxi?

tnthudson

Hello,

I was talking to a friend who is an experienced cruiser, and I told him we were going to HMC, GT and Freeport in 2 weeks.

He told me that he and his wife never purchase excursions, they just jump in a taxi and tell the driver what they're looking for (free beach, etc.) and they always have a great time doing this.

Has anyone else ever done this?

And are there any 'free beaches' at these ports, or do you pretty much have to pay to get on a beach anywhere now?

thanks!

Hello,

I was talking to a friend who is an experienced cruiser, and I told him we were going to HMC, GT and Freeport in 2 weeks.

He told me that he and his wife never purchase excursions, they just jump in a taxi and tell the driver what they're looking for (free beach, etc.) and they always have a great time doing this.

Has anyone else ever done this?

And are there any 'free beaches' at these ports, or do you pretty much have to pay to get on a beach anywhere now?

thanks!

You will find on many of the islands that there are taxi stands with local drivers that offer tours,etc. I'm guessing you are going to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk and Freeport?

Half Moon Cay is a private island. There is no road around the island so no taxi service. Now this is going to be the best beach day. The beach is a wonderful snowy white and the water an amazing clear blue. You also don't have to worry about vendors coming along asking you to buy items.

In Freeport there is a taxi stand. Before getting into a taxi, tell the driver what you want to do and see (island tour, visit a beach,etc). Establish a price agreement beforegetting into the taxi. Also if you are heading to a less popular beach or area, make sure that a time is set for pick up. If it's a rather popular beach or area, there will be a taxi area.

Always give yourself enough time to return to the ship. I always follow a rule of at least two hours prior to last boarding. Also check out the port of call board for the best areas to go.

For Grand Turk, I know that on the port of call board you can find info about beaches.

Also check on the port of call board for average pricing. It can vary from island to island, but you don't want to overpay either.

I hope this info helps!

Yes, you guessed correctly! (I should have mentioned the ports of call....) :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the info., this is great. I appreciate it!

No problem!! That' what this website is for, to help others!!:D

Archived