rain gear

perlgirlnj

As I get closer to departure, I've started to think about packing. I've been reading packing lists and posts for some time now and I've got a handle on it.

In terms of rain gear, all 3 of us have those Columbia 3-in-1 waterproof outer layer, zip-out inner fleece jackets to keep us warm & dry. I'm having a hard time making the leap to rain pants, however. It seems like one of those things you spend money on, takes up space and then you don't use them.

Do people wear these in ports? On the decks of the ship if it's raining? Only when hiking? Whale watching?

We're doing a week on land by ourselves, planning on doing some hiking in and around Denali. We're taking two boat trips: Kenai Fjord & PWS. Our port excursions are either by car, by plane, or by kayak (where they provide the rainskirt for us to use). I guess we also have a whale-watching outing too.

I should add that we're going the first two weeks of August.

If y'all think we should have them, I will go with the collected wisdom of CC'ers with more experience. If so, can you give me some links for what I should look for?

Thanks one and all.

You're doing more outdoors than we did. However, in the lower-48, I usually take rain pants backpacking, and never used them for rain. One other thing to factor in is that even the best breathable ones will get uncomfortable if you're very active. Maybe shorts and gaiters for the boots are a better option. :D

The only rain pants i saw last year were on back country campers in Denali. We were there for the last 2 weeks of Aug; didn't have good weather except our last day in Denali and in Fairbanks. We did a little hiking at Denali and Exit Glacier in Seward and did the Kenai cruise so somewhat similar to your trip. We wore long sleeved T's, fleece pullovers, and a Totes poncho on top, and jeans on the bottom. Except on the kenai cruise, I wore longjohns under an old pair of lined nylon jogging pants.

It was never a heavy rain; more like a drizzle so our gear worked fine.

By the way, we had snow flurries on the shuttle in Denali on Aug 19 ! The next day was sunny and warm. In Fairbanks we were in shorts!

That's my 2 cents.

I live in the Seattle area and have been to Alaska twice and I don't even own rain pants. I wouldn't have used them on either of my trips to AK even if I'd had them. Unless you think you will use them again back home, I wouldn't go spending a lot of money on them.

My girlfriend is on her cruise right as we speak and she called me while in Juneau and said it was rainy, windy and cold. So if you bring them with, I think you will be thanking yourself for doing so. By the way, I will be there next week on a cruise and I am just praying that we have no rain on this whole trip!

Archived