Salerno to Capri

tcocktail

We are just back from Celebrity Century. We docked in Salerno and was told by Celebrity that we would NOT be able to do Capri on our own due to the ferry schedule getting us back from Capri too late. We boarded the shuttle and there was an announcement that all passengers going to Capri MUST be on the 3:30pm Jet Ferry to Salerno. We departed on the 8:40Am, although there is an earlier ferry to Capri and spent a great day on the Island. We then boarded the JetFerry back and had plenty of time to board the ship.

SO YES YOU CAN DO CAPRI FROM SALERNO ON YOUR OWN!!!

I am very interested in getting information on Salerno. My husband and I are on the Century which is docking there in October. You mentioned a shuttle--what and where do you get it? We will want to get to the SITA bus which is by the Salerno train station or a ferry. How far away does Celebrity dock? Are there busses nearby? Were there taxis at the port that you could take to the train station? It seems to be a port that is relatively unknown.

I'm sorry --I have so many questions. You are the first person who has posted anything on docking in Salerno. I realized in the previous post that I didn't mention that we want to go to Amalfi and Positano. We went to Capri 2 years ago from Naples and loved it. Most ferries will no longer be running. There is one ferry-Coop Sant'Andrea--that leaves from Port Turistico (Molo Masuccio Salernitano). Do know if that is where the jet to Capri was located? I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

In Salerno Celebrity ran a free shuttle bus from the dock to the port area where the ferries come and go. It's not in the same area where the ship docks. That same shuttle continues onto the center of town. There were no taxis where the shipped docked. Salerno is a rather large port so don't think about walking into Salerno.

Going to Capri from Salerno we took the ALICOST S P A tel: 081.7041911 8:40AM cost 16 Euros one way Then we took the Jet Ferry back at 3:30Pm 17 Euros

The ferry also stops in Amalfi and Positano about 35 minutes from Salerno, very easy to do. If you have any other questions it all fresh in my my mind now.;)

Thank you so much for your information. It is reassuring to know that at least there is a shuttle. Maybe the other stop besides is one where we can get the SITA bus to Amalfi and Positano. By October the shuttle may even go to the dock for the only ferry that runs in the fall. I'll continue to look for others who have docked in Salerno. Thanks again.

Why would they do that, other than to force you to take their excursion. We will be taking the ferry back from Capri to Salerno in Sept. How crowded was it? I know that Century is the only ship in port that day, so I am hoping there are no issues getting back to Salerno. Were all the folks from the excursion on the same ferry too? We are trying to plan a private tour to drive down the coast to catch the ferry from Sorrento, then only spend a few hours on Capri before heading back. We won't be stopping in all the little towns, but want to see the coastline on that scenic drive. I know it will be a very busy day, but we may never get back to that area again, and want to take full advantage of our 12 hours in port. The website with the ferry schedule shows that there is a 4:35 & 5:30 ferry. I didn't see anything earlier than that. I know that we dock at 7 am, when were you actually able to get off the ship? Thanks for the info in advance.

Happy cruising....Joanne

Glad to hear you had such a nice time. Did you tender or Dock. We are on the Constellation in September and it says tender. I understand the Century is a smaller ship and perhaps she could dock while the Constellation could not. I am wondering where the tender will dock in relation to the train station/ bus square area.

Depending on who you ask on board sometimes they will urge you to take the ship excursion as the only option. Always take this with a grain of salt.

Kannna--we are docked, and yes Century is a smaller ship. About 70k tons vs 90k tons which may be the reason we are not tendering. I get a bit confused by the ports, especially when they list two on the itinerary. I originally thought we were at Naples, come to find out it is Salerno...who knew??

I have been researching this trip quite a bit, and thanks to all the CC folks who post info, I think I am finally getting a handle on it. You will be embarking the day before us in Barcelona...enjoy the cruise, we will be a few days behind you throughout the two weeks...we will pass like two ships in the night :)

Happy cruising...Joanne

We were on the Century, not only did the customer relations staff tell us not to go to Capri but the concierge told us the same thing. They said the safest way was to take a shorer excursion. We had decided not to go, then when we got on the bus, the staff announced to be sure that we get on the 3:30pm jetferry.

If anything the shuttle will go into town and not to the the dock where the ferry is. If you take the bus on the Amalfi coast I highly suggest that you sit up front and not in the back. You could easily get sick.

Going to Sorrento then onto to Capri sounds like a very aggressive plan. A taxi from Salerno to Sorrento is 150 Euros. I really am not sure if you will have enough time to do both. You could take the ferry to Amalfi or Positano and then onto Capri. We left on the 8:40AM ferry and didn't have a lot of time in Capri. It was VERY rushed day. You might consider doing the Amalfi coast or Capri but not both.

Odd that the Connie is tendering in Salerno. Maybe they can not get dock space. The terminal is huge and is primarmily a shipping port as you will see all the containers. Costa was moored at Capri but that was the only other ship in that area that we saw that day. I think the reason Celebrity is goingto SAlerno and not Naples on the Century is due to a late schedule change of the ship. THis ship was to be in the Carribbean this year. For the Connie it most likely is more cost effective for the cruise line. but that is only a guess.

I would acll Celebrity and confirm that they this is a tender port and find out where they are tendering.

The OP raises an interesting issue. Cruise lines make a nice profit on their ship excursions and have little interest in helping passengers who want to "do their own thing." Holland America is about the only line we have recently cruised that goes out of their way to make the port lecturer (these are generally independent folks not related to the tour company or tour dest) available to passengers who want independent information. Having traveled extensively for over 40 years without the use of tours or excursions we have long known that we must do our own "homework" and not rely on cruise ship personel for good info.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

...only Capri :(

I know it will be a wonderful day, we've decided to leave the coastline for another trip. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. We will get up early and try to be on the first ferry of the day, seems like that is the best plan. How long was the ferry ride to Capri? Was it the hydrofoil or the ferry that stops along ghe coast line at a few other towns? It was suggested that we purchase return tickets as soon as we arrive. Is this something that you also did and found to be the most efficient way to plan your time on the island. Please tell me what you found to do, and if you would recommend anything.

Thank you again for all your help....happy cruising...Joanne

The OP raises an interesting issue. Cruise lines make a nice profit on their ship excursions and have little interest in helping passengers who want to "do their own thing." Holland America is about the only line we have recently cruised that goes out of their way to make the port lecturer (these are generally independent folks not related to the tour company or tour dest) available to passengers who want independent information. Having traveled extensively for over 40 years without the use of tours or excursions we have long known that we must do our own "homework" and not rely on cruise ship personel for good info.

Hank

Too true. It's the same as cruise lines giving you the impression that unless you take their tours in St Petersburg, you'll have to arrange your own visa. I believe very little the cruise line tells me.

Edited by aquilegia

Joanne59- I see that you are cruising in September. We will be on the Century in October. We would really appreciate it if you would come back on CC after your cruise to tell us exactly where the shuttle will take you in Salerno. Did it go to the train or bus station or just the ferry dock? We would love to take the bus to Amalfi and Ravella if we can just reach the station. Happy cruisin!

Too true. It's the same as cruise lines giving you the impression that unless you take their tours in St Petersburg, you'll have to arrange your own visa. I believe very little the cruise line tells me.

Actually this is true. If you truly want to go off on your own you do need to get a Russian Visa before you leave home (we have done this in the past). However, some of the local tour operators can arrange for group visas which does make private tours a good option.

Hank

Actually this is true. If you truly want to go off on your own you do need to get a Russian Visa before you leave home (we have done this in the past). However, some of the local tour operators can arrange for group visas which does make private tours a good option.

Hank

Yes, I know this. But the impression some of the cruise lines like to give you (or were certainly doing only a few years ago) is that the only options are taking the ships tours or getting your own visa. They studiously avoid mentioning accredited Russian tour operators and insist that the ONLY way to avoid the hassle and expensive of obtaining an independent visa is to take the ships tour. That's misleading if not downright devious.

Thanks tcocktail for all of your valuable information. I, too, was shocked to find that Celebrity had changed their iteniary from docking in Naples to Solerno. My husband and I want to visit and tour the Island of Capri, however want to do this own our own versus using the cruise's excursion. I am trusting that if we leave on the first ferry we should be able to do so. Any suggestions outside of what has been already discussed on ensuring that we don't run into any complications getting back? Were the lines long to het back onto the ferry to return? I guess, that's my primary concern..not getting back in enough time to get the last ferry.

Thanks

Were the lines long to het back onto the ferry to return? I guess, that's my primary concern..not getting back in enough time to get the last ferry.

The line is generally to purchase the tickets, not to get on the boat. You can ease your mind by purchasing your return ticket earlier in the day, then you can relax and enjoy your time on the island.

Joanne59- I see that you are cruising in September. We will be on the Century in October. We would really appreciate it if you would come back on CC after your cruise to tell us exactly where the shuttle will take you in Salerno. Did it go to the train or bus station or just the ferry dock? We would love to take the bus to Amalfi and Ravella if we can just reach the station. Happy cruisin!

I'll be happy to leave a detailed report about our day trip to Capri. Does anyone know which doc the ferry leaves from in Salerno. Do you need a taxi or is there a bus? Is it close to where Cdntury is docked?

Thanks for the info...happy cruising .... Joanne

This thread makes me wonder what cruisers who do not use Cruise Critic do for information? I have gotten so many wonderful tips, and have become so skeptical of anything the cruise lines tell me--it makes a huge difference to your vacation to have all this up-to-the-moment info a few mouse clicks away.

Even when I was doing a land trip, I still found CC to be an invaluable source of information--thanks especially to CruiseMom and Eurocruiser!

This thread makes me wonder what cruisers who do not use Cruise Critic do for information? I have gotten so many wonderful tips, and have become so skeptical of anything the cruise lines tell me--it makes a huge difference to your vacation to have all this up-to-the-moment info a few mouse clicks away.

Even when I was doing a land trip, I still found CC to be an invaluable source of information--thanks especially to CruiseMom and Eurocruiser!

The info on CC has saved us SO much money over the years, I am always pointing people in the direction of this website.

Happy cruising....Joanne

Kanna would you be kind enough on your return to post on here whether or not Constellation tendered in Salerno? We follow you in early Oct. I am not keen on tendering and am disappointed to learn that the chances are that we now have 2 tender ports. Many thanks.

Hank

Wish we had known that! We were on a TA 2 years ago where the public announcements caused us to stay aboard at two ports.:eek: Not that many ports on a 2 week TA.

I know other lines sometimes do the same, but Thanks HAL.:rolleyes: