Pre cruise Oahu, Post cruise Maui-Does this make sense?

kimmi5207

The more I research, the more confused I get. My mind changes daily on what I want to do. I'm planning a graduation trip to Hawaii with my son. It's just the two of us - we've taken solo vacations together since he was 7 years old and this is our last big vacation before he will leave for college.

I started saving a little each month in October 08, as I knew this trip would be really expensive and this would probably be the only time I go, at least in the near future.

Anyway,

Has anyone done a pre-cruise and post cruise vacation in Hawaii on different islands? Does this make sense?

I want to visit all the islands, but I also want extended time on Oahu and Maui.

Original plan

Wed-Sat in Oahu (to do Pearl Harbor, PCC, NorthShore, Diamond Head), board cruise for 7 days, and fly home afterwards. But I really wouldn't get to experience Maui except on my 2 tours (Road to Hana and Crater). And cruise is pretty pricey (compared to normal cruises). Seems like a lot to pay for a "floating hotel".

2nd plan was land only

5-6 days Oahu (with a day tour over to Big Island for the Volcano National Park), then 5 days Maui, and fly home.

But this is adding up pretty quickly. Just lodging and flights for 11-12 days would be $5500-$6500 and that does NOT include the cost of excursions and food for 10-11 days (for 2 people). So if I'm spending all that money, I want to do see as much as I can so I thought about plan #3

3rd plan-

3-4 days Oahu Pre-cruise (Tues/Wed-Sat)-Pearl Harbor, PCC, North Shore,Diamond Head, beach/snorkel

7 day cruise (during which I do Road to Hana and the Sunrise Crater in Maui, Volcano tour in Big Island). At least food would be paid for.

3 days Maiu - going back to relax, and just experience black sand beaches, etc. May have a best friend there with her daughter for a graduation trip also (our kids are best friends also) and thought we would spend a few days together.

Does plan 3 even make sense? Or is that too much?

There probably will be a plan 4 or 5 by this afternoon I'm sure.....

Thanks

I like plan 3, other than I would probably suggest an extra day in Maui. As you say, it is expensive to get to Hawaii. Once there you may as well make the most of it. If you have the time, I would add a day there. If not, I think you will still be very happy with plan 3. You are getting there!!!

For Oahu, I strongly suggest at least the Tuesday arrival. We arrived late on Tuesday prior to the cruise and I so wish I had at least one more day. Again, you will still have a great trip, even if you don't have as many day as you want. Just make the most of each day there.

Thank you! I appreciate your comments and for at least verifying I haven't completely lost my mind with plan 3!:o

I'm sure I could easily fly into Oahu on Tuesday, rather than Wednesday, so that won't be a big problem. I wanted a Tues or Wed flight as normally they are cheaper. I may be able to swing another day at Maui, although I figured including the cruise days in port, I would have 5 days there. 3 on my own, and 2 on the days the cruise.

Another ? for anyone who happens by:

Resort vs Condo on Oahu and Maui

Since it's just the 2 of us, I'm not sure we would get the big savings with a Condo that we might if we were a family. I like the resort idea, as my son could hang out with other teens, on the beach, at the pool, etc (that's why we love cruising so much). But the resorts are awfully expensive, especially if you want Ocean view or Ocean front. Of course I could get a regular hotel in Waikiki or on Maui, but I would hate to look out my window at other buildings...I had a friend stay in Hawaii earlier this year, and her hotel view was basically the back/top of other buildings.

Just not sure with a condo I will really get cost savings except us eating breakfast at the condo rather than eating out. (My son is more than happy with a bowl of cereal for breakfast!)

Thoughts from anyone who may have done Condo and/or resort? Of if you had a regular hotel in a good location/good price/decent view, would be interested in that also!

I have read of many who liked the Aston Circle Hotel in Waikiki for decent rates and close to the beach. You can get ocean view rooms and not have to look out onto rooftops or the sides of other hotels. Do your homework, that is for sure.

Don't forget you have lots of time to plan this trip. By the time you are done researching, I am sure you will have it all figured out and it will be a very memorable trip for the two of you.

It does seem that the further you book your cruise the cheaper it will be. We ended up booking just a few months before and the prices were a quite a bit higher than if we were booking for the next year. Plus we had a poor selection of cabins. However, all was still good and we had a great time. Since you don't lose money up until final payment is due, I would go ahead and book the cruise now if you haven't already. Of course, keep watching for price drops, just in case.

I'll check out Aston Circle. Thanks!

Great idea about going ahead and booking the cruise now. I have the exact date I would be taking the cruise and as mentioned, if I later change my mind again and decide to do land only, I would not lose my deposit (unless it was within final payment of course).

Does NCL match price drops? I know Carnival and RCI's policies, but I've never cruised NCL.

What type of room did you have on your NCL cruise? Inside or Ocean view? What did you think of that?

Lately I always just take an inside, as it wasn't worth it to me to spend the additional money for an ocean view. For the NCL cruise especially, there is a big price difference between Inside and Un-obstructed Ocean view. Not sure if it is worth it. I thought I could put that $400-$500 to better use (i.e. towards excursions)

I think your plan #3 makes sense too. I second arriving on Tuesday and leaving the following Tuesday or Wednesday if the air fares are lower those days. After the intensity of the cruise, it might be nice to have a few days to just chill out on Maui (not that there isn't tons to see and do there). You might be able to swing some sort of fourth-night-free deal somewhere. You could spend most of disembarkation day on Oahu doing stuff there before flying over to Maui very late that Saturday, if you want more time on Oahu.

I'll check out Aston Circle.

We stayed there and were fine with it. It's not luxurious, but it was comfortable enough for one night. Of course you do pay more for the ocean-front and ocean-view rooms.

For both Oahu (but not Waikiki) and Maui, you might want to check out vrbo.com. (vacation rentals by owners). Sometimes you can get some really good deals. Personally, I preferred the place we stayed in Kailua on Oahu post-cruise to staying in Waikiki - but I wasn't traveling with my high-school-graduate son!

What type of room did you have on your NCL cruise? Inside or Ocean view? What did you think of that?

Lately I always just take an inside, as it wasn't worth it to me to spend the additional money for an ocean view. For the NCL cruise especially, there is a big price difference between Inside and Un-obstructed Ocean view. Not sure if it is worth it. I thought I could put that $400-$500 to better use (i.e. towards excursions)

The Hawaii cruise is so port-intensive, I can't really see an advantage of Ocean View over Inside. My dad was in an inside cabin on this cruise and in many ways it looked more comfortable than the twin-bed set-up in a balcony room.

Thanks RiofrioTex. That was extremely helpful!

Honestly, I'd like to spend a couple days in Waikiki for my son and a couple of days on North Shore, with access to a car. But if I'm only on Oahu 4 days, I probably will just stay in one spot rather than worrying about checking in/checking out.

I will check out VRBO also. I've actually just used it for the first time earlier this week to find a weekend beach house rental in my state. Some of the condo's on there were beautiful and the same price I had paid for a pricey hotel room in the same town previously.

Just not sure with a condo I will really get cost savings except us eating breakfast at the condo rather than eating out. (My son is more than happy with a bowl of cereal for breakfast!)

We like to stay in condos for all the extra room and to save a little money since I am the only one who eats breakfast (just two of us). However, you will be in for a real shock when you look at the prices the locals have to pay at their food markets for even breakfast items; expect 2x what you pay at home even for items that are grown in Hawaii (bananas, pineapples, etc.). It is cheaper to just go find a McDonalds.......

Honestly, I'd like to spend a couple days in Waikiki for my son and a couple of days on North Shore, with access to a car. But if I'm only on Oahu 4 days, I probably will just stay in one spot rather than worrying about checking in/checking out.

IMO, just stay on the North Shore and take a day trip into downtown to see the sights. Since you live in Houston, image downtown Houston's Main Street with a beach on one side and a wall of huge hotels on the other side, that is Waikiki.

I'll add to your confusing and advocate a land tour with of 3 days on two or maybe three islands and rental car and a sense of adventure for hikes, swims and maybe helicopter, bike or boat excursion is what I'd recommend. Accomidations options run from the gamut as does food so you can do it for cheap or 5 star. Cruise tours with fixed port time sound just so un hawaii IMHO.

Eating is cheap and convenient, youu can find everything from expensive to cheap eats. Housing if you avoid the fancy beach 5 star hotels you can find many interesting places. I would never cruise hawaii but I've also been there 5 times too :o

Unless one just has to see Oahau I'd skip it and pick say Maui and Hawaii or add Kauai if you can squeeze 3 islands in.

A cruise is like a cliffs note visits, no time to really take in the beautiful leisure scenery.

Sounds like a neat vacation with your child!

The more I research, the more confused I get. My mind changes daily on what I want to do. I'm planning a graduation trip to Hawaii with my son. It's just the two of us - we've taken solo vacations together since he was 7 years old and this is our last big vacation before he will leave for college.

I started saving a little each month in October 08, as I knew this trip would be really expensive and this would probably be the only time I go, at least in the near future.

Anyway,

Has anyone done a pre-cruise and post cruise vacation in Hawaii on different islands? Does this make sense?

I want to visit all the islands, but I also want extended time on Oahu and Maui.

Original plan

Wed-Sat in Oahu (to do Pearl Harbor, PCC, NorthShore, Diamond Head), board cruise for 7 days, and fly home afterwards. But I really wouldn't get to experience Maui except on my 2 tours (Road to Hana and Crater). And cruise is pretty pricey (compared to normal cruises). Seems like a lot to pay for a "floating hotel".

2nd plan was land only

5-6 days Oahu (with a day tour over to Big Island for the Volcano National Park), then 5 days Maui, and fly home.

But this is adding up pretty quickly. Just lodging and flights for 11-12 days would be $5500-$6500 and that does NOT include the cost of excursions and food for 10-11 days (for 2 people). So if I'm spending all that money, I want to do see as much as I can so I thought about plan #3

3rd plan-

3-4 days Oahu Pre-cruise (Tues/Wed-Sat)-Pearl Harbor, PCC, North Shore,Diamond Head, beach/snorkel

7 day cruise (during which I do Road to Hana and the Sunrise Crater in Maui, Volcano tour in Big Island). At least food would be paid for.

3 days Maiu - going back to relax, and just experience black sand beaches, etc. May have a best friend there with her daughter for a graduation trip also (our kids are best friends also) and thought we would spend a few days together.

Does plan 3 even make sense? Or is that too much?

There probably will be a plan 4 or 5 by this afternoon I'm sure.....

Thanks

;);)

Does NCL match price drops? I know Carnival and RCI's policies, but I've never cruised NCL.

As far as I know, yes NCL will match price drops. Many book through online agencies to save money. If you go that route, check with the agencies in regards to fees they may charge for cancelling your reservation or for making changes, or for getting price reductions. Not all work in the same way. Be very clear about this no matter who you book through.

We had an obstructed Ocean Viewm, but had planned on booking an inside since prices were so high with us booking late. Because we were booking rather late, there were only guarentee insides available. Since I am prone to motion sickness, I really wanted a cabin that was more in the middle of the ship. I couldn't risk getting a forward cabin with a guarentee. I am like you; I would rather use the money for some fun excursions. However, there are many on this forum who seem to have a money tree in their backyards and unlimited vacation dollars. ;) I have read of many who say if they can't cruise with a balcony they just wouldn't cruise. We spend so little time in our cabin that I just don't understand the point of spending a lot of money on a cabin. The POA itinerary is so port intensive that you are on the go from morning till night and then you crash. I say it doesn't matter where you crash. There is one reason I like an ocean view: If someone were to get sick, at least they could see outside the window. In an inside they are stuck looking at the walls.

If you aren't prone to seasickness and don't care where you end up on the ship, an inside guarentee could end up giving you an ocean view, obstructed or not.

Plan #3 :)

We are going to Maui first, then cruise, then Oahu before going home. We are staying at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel on the beach in Maui and the prices are really good for beachfront. Just an idea.

In Oahu, we are staying at the Ilima with friends (two bedroom). No view, but full kitchen and a couple blocks from the beach (Waikiki). We will have a balcony room on the cruise and beachfront in Maui so we figure we would try to save a little money in Oahu with a cheaper room and food we can cook.

Hope this helps!

IMO, just stay on the North Shore and take a day trip into downtown to see the sights. Since you live in Houston, image downtown Houston's Main Street with a beach on one side and a wall of huge hotels on the other side, that is Waikiki.

That image isn't very appealing! I want to feel as if I'm away from home (I work downtown so I get to see that every day!).

We like to stay in condos for all the extra room and to save a little money since I am the only one who eats breakfast (just two of us). However, you will be in for a real shock when you look at the prices the locals have to pay at their food markets for even breakfast items; expect 2x what you pay at home even for items that are grown in Hawaii (bananas, pineapples, etc.). It is cheaper to just go find a McDonalds.......

Thanks for the heads up!

I'll add to your confusing and advocate a land tour with of 3 days on two or maybe three islands and rental car and a sense of adventure for hikes, swims and maybe helicopter, bike or boat excursion is what I'd recommend. Accomidations options run from the gamut as does food so you can do it for cheap or 5 star. Cruise tours with fixed port time sound just so un hawaii IMHO.

Eating is cheap and convenient, youu can find everything from expensive to cheap eats. Housing if you avoid the fancy beach 5 star hotels you can find many interesting places. I would never cruise hawaii but I've also been there 5 times too :o

Unless one just has to see Oahau I'd skip it and pick say Maui and Hawaii or add Kauai if you can squeeze 3 islands in.

A cruise is like a cliffs note visits, no time to really take in the beautiful leisure scenery.

Sounds like a neat vacation with your child!

Yes, you added to my confusion by adding in option 4! ;) More to think about now! I can do without 5 star hotels (although clean and up to date is a must). I think we'll be so busy, it's ok if the hotel doesn't have a lot of stuff there. I'm actually thinking I'd like to stay somewhere that doesn't look like a high rise.....And we definitely are more on the simple side when it comes to eating - we don't need 5 star meals.

Plan #3 :)

We are going to Maui first, then cruise, then Oahu before going home. We are staying at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel on the beach in Maui and the prices are really good for beachfront. Just an idea.

In Oahu, we are staying at the Ilima with friends (two bedroom). No view, but full kitchen and a couple blocks from the beach (Waikiki). We will have a balcony room on the cruise and beachfront in Maui so we figure we would try to save a little money in Oahu with a cheaper room and food we can cook.

Hope this helps!

It helps! Thanks! I'll check out that hotel also.

;);)

If you aren't prone to seasickness and don't care where you end up on the ship, an inside guarentee could end up giving you an ocean view, obstructed or not.

Thanks. Not a bad idea to book guarantee. I've never had seasickness and I'm not that particular about where I end up (although I usually try to avoid the bottom couple of floors on the ship)

Thanks. Not a bad idea to book guarantee. I've never had seasickness and I'm not that particular about where I end up (although I usually try to avoid the bottom couple of floors on the ship)

And with my tendency toward seasickness, I prefer the bottom of the ship.

We used vrbo and found a triplex right on the ocean in Kailua. We loved this location. It was away from the hubbub, but a half hour or less to most of the highlights except the North Shore. SInce you only need accomodations for two, and if you don't care if you are on the ocean, you might be able to find a decent deal.

Yes, you added to my confusion by adding in option 4! ;) More to think about now! I can do without 5 star hotels (although clean and up to date is a must). I think we'll be so busy, it's ok if the hotel doesn't have a lot of stuff there. I'm actually thinking I'd like to stay somewhere that doesn't look like a high rise.....And we definitely are more on the simple side when it comes to eating - we don't need 5 star meals.

Check out the Kahana Village in Maui. Wonderful place. We spent 8 nights there and it wasn't enough. :D There's so much to do nearby but you have beachfront views and a small pool, hot tub, small garden and wonderful people there. The beach there isn't great for swimming but there are plenty fo nearby swim beaches. You are also close to Kaanapali and Lahaina. We did a daysail from Kaanapali beach - it's very pretty but we were glad we stayed a bit further north and avoided the high-rise resort strip. Kahana Village was cheaper than a lot of hotels for a 2 bedroom condo, gave us more space and a kitchen, and I liked that all fees were included. Many hotels/condos charge parking, resort fees, cleaning fees, etc.so watch out for those while booking. Also be careful on VRBO - there have been problems on Maui recently where people arrive and find the property has been foreclosed on or that the owner wasn't zoned for rentals and the county has come in and padlocked the place. Make sure you get references if you go that route.

Also check out the Maui forum on the tripadvisor.com boards - lots of locals post over there and were invaluable to me helping plan. I learned so much before I went about local customs and what to expect, what was worth my time, what wasn't, etc.

Honolulu left me cold, not really anwhere I'd choose to spend a lot of time unless it was to see Pearl Harbor or the north short of Oahu.

I agree with the poster who said prepare for sticker shock in grocery stores and restaurants. $6 loaves of bread, $8 gallons of milk - it's a bit crazy. You can get good seafood pretty cheap in the grocery store along with local produce. Anything packaged or processed that has to be brought in is very expensive. Restaurant prices were about 50% more than what we were used to at home for comparable meals.

Whatever you decide - have a wonderful time! The inter-island flights are quick and easy but you basically lose half a day flying. We chose to spend one night in Honolulu, 8 nights in Maui (no cruise on that trip) and that we would have to plan another trip one day for the Big Island and Kaui. Most people we talked to said that the Big Island really takes two weeks to see and that you can't feasibly do the day trip for the volacanoes as it's quite a few hours of driving each way no matter which airport you fly in and out of.

here are my recommendations:

Oahu Hotel Renew (kailua is too far off the beaten path) 3 days is plenty be sure to climb

Diamond Head--you can take the bus there.

Maui Kaanapali Beach Hotel--great location or try priceline (definitely need a car in maui)--3 days is fine

get the least expensive guarantee on the ship.

here are my recommendations:

Oahu Hotel Renew (kailua is too far off the beaten path) 3 days is plenty be sure to climb

Diamond Head--you can take the bus there.

Maui Kaanapali Beach Hotel--great location or try priceline (definitely need a car in maui)--3 days is fine

get the least expensive guarantee on the ship.

Maybe Kailua was too far off the beaten path for you, but definitely not for us and we had our 22 year old daughter with us who loved it. It is all a matter of what you like. WHen I showed my daughter photos of the hotels on Waikiki she said she didn't want to stay there. My daughter has never liked big cities or crowded places. I know full well that some people would prefer Waikiki. It is all what you like. There is no one "best" place for everyone. For those that like action Waikiki would be a great option. For others looking for a more relaxing and peaceful setting, Waikiki should be avoided. It is simply a matter of what floats your boat.

Also, I differ on whether three days is enough for Oahu. It was not enough for us. We needed at least one more day, preferably two. We jam packed in lots of sightseeing for our time on Oahu, and there was still more to see and do.

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions. You've given lots of great suggestions for hotels, things to watch out for, things to do, etc. I really appreciate it! It's always nice to hear from others who have been there and done that.

I look forward to checking out the hotels. Also, was nice to learn that Big Island is not well suited for a day trip. Volcano National Park is a "must" on this visit, so I may have to figure out how to work that into our plans.

I look forward to checking out the hotels. Also, was nice to learn that Big Island is not well suited for a day trip. Volcano National Park is a "must" on this visit, so I may have to figure out how to work that into our plans.

We were on the POA and for our port time in Hilo, we devoted the entire time to Volcano National Park. Originally we were going to also do the Black Sand Beach and the Akaka Falls. However, we fell in love with VNP, as it was something very different from any other place we have been. Yes, we could have done quick drive through but we wanted to experience it and we did. We had no regrets and we agreed that another day at Hilo would have been great. However, as I have said before, with the cruise we did get to see all the highlights of Hawaii that we wanted to see. The cruise made it easy. We learned Hawaii is a nice place, glad we went, but really have not intention of returning.

Archived