La Romana - what is there to do there?

buddylover

We are going to La Romana in February....no excursions listed on the ship and not much info about DR at all. Has anyone been there? What did you do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

We are in the same boat! :D

Going to DR in Nov, there is no info on CC, no excursions listed on Carnival (other ports already have them), little info online elsewhere.

Have no idea what we are going to do! Really only thing I have come across is this thread from a couple months ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1183412

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival's website has tours listed under the "Destinations" drop down under "View Shore Excursions" but no pricing yet.

There had been a note that they would be available to book about mid-September when they first populated the list.

Janet, what can you tell me about this resort. I did google it. Do they sell day passes, if so how much? How far is it from the port?

Thanks,

JoAnn

I just e-mailed the resort! Hoping to get info soon! I will post what I hear back from them! :)

how do you get them?

I e-mailed them and have not heard back!!!! :(

They told us to contact them when we knew how many of us were coming. Sp they can be prepared for us. But we are a cruise critic group with a lot of people. Then we just go there, and pay when we arrive.

So just take a taxi to the resort, and pay when you get there. :)

They told us to contact them when we knew how many of us were coming. Sp they can be prepared for us. But we are a cruise critic group with a lot of people. Then we just go there, and pay when we arrive.

So just take a taxi to the resort, and pay when you get there. :)

Thanks for info Janet!!! ;)

Hi Everyone!!!!!!!!!

This is what I got from the Dream Resort!!! Just heard back from them yesterday!!!!

Don't know if that includes food? Drink? Wondering if that is just use of the grounds!?!? I e-mailed them back on giving me more info! I will post again when I hear back!

Dear Mrs. Biggins

Greetings from Paradise

We do offer day passes at the resort;

65 usd for adults from 12 years old on but only from 10 : 00 am on !!

Remember that you will be require to book the in advance as we do not guarantee that we will have availability for day passes far in advance.

Regards

Marlen Mena

Operation's Assistant

Dreams La Romana Resorts & Spa

Tel.: (809) 221-8880, Ext. 1931

Fax: (809) 221-2776

operaciones.drelr@dreamsresorts.com / info.drelr@dreamsresorts.com

http://www.dreamsresorts.com

Unlimited-Luxury™. A new and better way to have it all.

MORE INFO for you all!!!

Dear Biggins

Greetings from Paradise ¡!

The resort is 20 minutes away from the cruise port, taxi cost is from 35 to 40 usd, our day passes include everything in the all inclusive package except for the room and dinner services.

Please note that some services are with extra charges ( spa, store, bottled beverage etc ) everything else is included.

Regards

Marlen Mena

Operation's Assistant

Thanks to Janet and Angel for your resort info, but does anyone else have any info on what else there is to do in La Romana (for us non beach folks)? Has anyone used an independent tour company to go see any sites? Would be interested in any info from previous visitors......Thanks!

Thanks to Janet and Angel for your resort info, but does anyone else have any info on what else there is to do in La Romana (for us non beach folks)? Has anyone used an independent tour company to go see any sites? Would be interested in any info from previous visitors......Thanks!

Wish I could say I could help but I am still struggling with this port. The independent excursions I am finding now are all geared towards resort folks. They meet at 8 or 9am. Since we don't arrive into port until 9am it is going to be very hard I think to do any independent excursion except for a resort type thing.

I'm not much of a beach bum myself. I'd rather be snorkeling or hopefully scuba diving if we get our cert this month. But we are planning on scuba 3x already so DW wants to do something different.

I did book a car rental from the airport and am trying to find out how far the airport is from the cruise port. Of course even if we get a car I'm still now sure where we would go with it! But I just want it as an option.

I may just have to book something through the ship! :eek:

I was in La Romana in the earlier 90's. It's the home of the Casa de Campo Country Club ... ie. golf resort. Looking at it on-line now, it seems to have expanded to all kinds of activities. It even has a real airport terminal now, as opposed to the grass shack when I was there on a training assignment (American Eagle airport agents). The runway splits the golf course. So funny to watch these old geezers toodle out in their golf carts to pull down the crossing gates, holding back golfers and carts while the plane landed and taxied back. I wonder if it is more official now, or at least more secure, since American Airlines lands 737's there now in addition to the American Eagle flights.

So they may have golfing or other activities available for cruisers dropping in. Website: http://www.casadecampo.com.do/index.php

Steven

I emailed Casa de Campo a week ago and have not heard from them. I am going to try another email later today and if that doesn't work, I will call. the Tooth has a tournament when we are there but they are opening some 9 hole courses in October.

Does anyone have info on taking a taxi from the port - costs and safety?

• 4 weeks later...
MORE INFO for you all!!!

Dear Biggins

Greetings from Paradise ¡!

The resort is 20 minutes away from the cruise port, taxi cost is from 35 to 40 usd, our day passes include everything in the all inclusive package except for the room and dinner services.

Please note that some services are with extra charges ( spa, store, bottled beverage etc ) everything else is included.

Regards

Marlen Mena

Operation's Assistant

The price of the day pass isn't too bad, but $40.00 for a 20 min taxi ride seems quite excessive, especially if it is only 1 way

• 1 month later...

Hi again! On another, newer thread this same discussion is going on about what to do. The first cruise on this itinerary is leaving on Oct. 18th. They have been asked to come back and give us the "skinny" on this port and what there is to do. Can't wait as it is the only port that poses this difficulty.

If anyone is considering going into Santo Domingo on a tour, we would love some feedback and guidance. All the ship tours are really expensive, especially when travelling with a family. Please post your info when you return. THANKS!!

Archived