Dinner attire in Main Dining Room on non-formal nights

mlhuangcruise

I don't know if the price of cruise,, or level ( deluxe versus cheap mass market ) has that much to do with peoples desire to dress up. I know my husband dresses in a suit and tie everyday for work,, so he loves to dress down on holiday( but yes, we bring the suit for formal night). I know that on some luxury lines there is NO formal night either.

I don't know if the price of cruise,, or level ( deluxe versus cheap mass market ) has that much to do with peoples desire to dress up. I know my husband dresses in a suit and tie everyday for work,, so he loves to dress down on holiday( but yes, we bring the suit for formal night). I know that on some luxury lines there is NO formal night either.

Your husband wears a suit to work because that is the appropriate level of dress for his line of work. Some luxury lines choose not to have formal nights, so the level of dress is dictated by the appropriate attire for that cruise line. That is not the same as saying I'm not dressing for formal nights because I like dressing casually. This seems to be the norm for many of the less expensive cruise lines.

People on the luxury lines that have no formal nights still wear dress slacks, collard shirts and sometimes blazers in the main dinning room. I don't think you will find anyone on the luxury lines wearing cargo shorts, tank tops, and flip flops to dinner.

I don't think you will find anyone on the luxury lines wearing cargo shorts, tank tops, and flip flops to dinner.

Nor will you find that on Princess in the MDR on formal night. You're using an extreme example that doesn't happen to attempt to prove your point. Almost without exception those of us that choose not to wear a jacket to dinner on formal night are in slacks, some kind of dress shirt, and sometimes a tie. Very, very rarely will you people in less than this, and even then it's usually khakis and a polo shirt.

I don't think you will find anyone on the luxury lines wearing cargo shorts, tank tops, and flip flops to dinner.

Nor will you find that on Princess in the MDR on formal night. You're using an extreme example that doesn't happen to attempt to prove your point. Almost without exception those of us that choose not to wear a jacket to dinner on formal night are in slacks, some kind of dress shirt, and sometimes a tie. Very, very rarely will you people in less than this, and even then it's usually khakis and a polo shirt.

Not even on a casual evening will you normally see anyone that dressed down on Princess but I really believe the formalists believe it will happen if things continue to decline, along with the food quality.They often hinge the food quality & presentation of 20 years ago to the casualness of today's cruiser & believe it's the main cause.

The way I see it is that for casual dinners in the MDR, I usually dress in a sundress or skirt/blouse and my hubby wears a tropical shirt/slacks. Formal: hubby wears a suit with tie, I wear anything from cocktail dress to floor length silky one piece pants outfit. The rest of the time, depending on itinerary and weather, I'll usually have on shorts during the daytime. In fact, I didn't even bring jeans on any cruises until our Alaskan one. Definitely too warm in the Caribbean area and except for the first/last day of the Mexican Riviera, too warm.

Princess does make it easy by having the self-service laundries. Especially on our 15-day cruise (with three formal nights), hubby brought two dress shirts, in addition to whatever tropical shirts.

And I'm from a fairly casual area in which we ignore the calendar when it comes to dress and colors.

Archived