Rotterdam eve entertainment -- ok for kids?

lilipad2

Hi all,

it's me again with my pesky questions. ;)

I was wondering if anyone has been on the Rotterdam this summer and seen the entertainment. I have a young son (well behaved if I say so myself -- ooh i just jynxed myself perhaps) and I was wondering if a) the shows were generally on the clean side and b) if it's even appropriate to bring a child into the showroom. I do intent to take advantage of the kids club while at sea, but I would also like to spend some time with him as well and I was wondering if any of the shows might be appropriate.

Thanks in advance!

We have not been on the Rotterdam yet however we have been on several different Holland America ships and we go to the shows almost every night. We can truthfully say that we have never seen a show on any HAL ship that was not appropriate for children.

That said, it would be helpful to know the age of your child as some of the shows may bore the little ones.

We have occasionally seen a group of children from the kids club attending shows in the main showroom with their HAL attendants.

One thing I did try to do when my son was little was to snag a couple of seats on the aisle. That way if he needed to go to the bathroom or got bored and wiggly, we could make a quick escape without crawling over people's laps!

I am certain you will have a wonderful time!:)

I would say 90 percent of HAL shows are family-friendly--I know a few comedians are inappropriate. The daily program will give you a good idea. We were on a Baltic Cruise in June with our kids, ages 7 and 10. They went to see a wonderful magician with Club HAL, and we took them to one production show--both very appropriate. The other shows (piano player, singer) would have been fine also, but we were early to bed since the trip was so port intensive. On a sea day, we did the backstage tour with the HAL dancers, and they were so kind to my daughter--even let her try on their fancy wigs. I took her to a HAL production show when she was 4, and she was transfixed by the dancing and fancy costumes, but my son would not have sat still at that age. As usual, just depends on the kid.

Hi all,

it's me again with my pesky questions. ;)

I was wondering if anyone has been on the Rotterdam this summer and seen the entertainment. I have a young son (well behaved if I say so myself -- ooh i just jynxed myself perhaps) and I was wondering if a) the shows were generally on the clean side and b) if it's even appropriate to bring a child into the showroom. I do intent to take advantage of the kids club while at sea, but I would also like to spend some time with him as well and I was wondering if any of the shows might be appropriate.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, he'll be asleep in 5 minutes

Generally speaking the shows are quite family friendly. If a comedian is involved though, I might hesitate, unless you want to start explaining some things you would rather not get into for a few years.

The shows are fairly short and generally under an hour. Most school age children should be able to behave appropriately for that length of time. To make good behavior more likely, with some children it might be best to avoid doing the show right before or after an MDR dinner as that makes a much longer time to stay seated quietly (or softly spoken in MDR). I'd probably choose to do lido dinner that night. (Yes, they should also behave well there, but it is quicker and more relaxed.)

The cast shows would probable be best and I too would suggest skipping the comedian.

Agree with the above, from the one cruise we did, it seemed very clean, with the exception of the comedian who was on ours, (definately more adult oriented).

My personal notation to add -> Children/pre-teens should be brought to the "early" shows. The "late night", (cough 9-10pm, yea right), should be avoided. The way that I was brought up, late shows are for adults to relax without children in the area.

That is obviously open to personal viewpoints, but food for though.

Archived