Kyoto Guesthouse

jettman

Has anyone stayed at a Kyoto Guesthouse, also known as a ryokan, that you would recommend? I found a great website www.kyotoguesthouses.com with many options to choose from. What area of Kyoto would you recommend? If I could narrow down the best area of Kyoto, that would help me narrow down the options.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Has anyone stayed at a Kyoto Guesthouse, also known as a ryokan, that you would recommend? I found a great website www.kyotoguesthouses.com with many options to choose from. What area of Kyoto would you recommend? If I could narrow down the best area of Kyoto, that would help me narrow down the options.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

The Gion-street market, food vendors, lots of places to walk around at night, Geisha, Kabuki-this is the heart of Kyoto

I have stayed at Gion Harigiya (sp?). While the experience was nice, I really wasn't particularly pleased other than the location. The location was absolutely fantastic. I was able to see lot of Geisha in the evening and also had the tea ceremony. That was the best part of the deal I don't like sleeping on the floor and you had to reserve a time for mixed sex bathing (which is the norm). I am not particularly into hot tubs on ships, so the communal bathing aspect was not to my liking. I have a hot tub in my yard-don't even use it.

I have also stayed in Ryokan in Fukuokoa and Nagasaki. With the sea locations, I personally thought it was much better than in Kyoto. Looking out to the sea in the bath was far better than in Kyoto.

If you are female, be prepared for "squat" toilets. Something most Americans totally freak out about. DO NOT wear long pants. A long skirt is the easiest in most of Asia or the Middle East where squat toilets are prevalent.

JMHO but unless you want the dinner in your room and the "bath" experience (plus sleeping on the floor), spend one night at a Ryokan just for the experience and then go to the Sheraton in Kyoto. VERY nice hotel, high on a mountain overlooking the city.

Has anyone stayed at a Kyoto Guesthouse, also known as a ryokan, that you would recommend?

It's been quite a period of time since we visited Kyoto and stayed in a ryokan.

Sleeping in the floor - but it was on a futon and wasn't bad at all. Dinner was served in our room. The bath was also in our room but there was a communal (sulfur) hot bath in the building which was great after a day of touring. The room bath was great for getting rid of the sulfur smell afterwards!

The ryokan (name escapes me) had either a western or Japanese breakfast. The latter was usually a semi-cooked egg, rice, dried fish etc. Wasn't really that bad at all. Of course being raised in Hawaii, you experience all sorts of food.

Kyoto is fairly compacted and walkable. The far-out (distance, that is) temples, we took a cab. From out recent trip in Tokyo in February, the prices weren't bad at all and I assume Kyoto is relatively the same. I understand that the subway is a good way to get there as well.

I think just from a cultural learning experience, you should try it out.

Archived