Capri, Naples, and Ravello possible?

2cHisworld

I am arriving on the Ruby Princess into the Sorrento port. I've heard so much about this area and cannot decide what to do.

I would love to visit a quaint cute town as this is our only visit to Italy other than Rome and Venice so I'd love for my nieces to see a typical italian village. Is Ravello a good option?

If I had my pick, I'd love to go to Naples to visit a buffalo mozzerella farm, then to Capri to walk around a while then maybe visit Ravello.

Is this possible if we are docked from 7 am until 6 PM?

If so, is there a tour company anyone can recommend to do such an individualized tour?

I am looking at the memo boards but haven't run across exactly what I'm looking for yet and the AP tours that someone recommended seems to be set tours.

Are you willing to spring for a helicopter? Otherwise, I don't think there's any way you're going to cram all this into one day.

Ravello is not a typical Italian village, but it is a lovely place. You are in a resort area, so it's not going to be typical of anything other than a resort.

I don't know of any buffalo mozzarella farms in Naples, all of the ones I am familiar with are further south in Campania, close to Paestum. If you had more time, I would strongly suggest Tenuta Vannulo (http://www.vannulo.it/eng/home.html), an organic buffalo mozzarella farm where you can see the cheese being made as well as other crafts. However, this farm and the others in the area are nearly two hours from Sorrento, south of Battipaglia.

Can you prioritize what is most important to you? If so, perhaps we can help you put together a day that hits as many of your goals as possible.

What would be most important to you since you've been there? I've been a few places in Italy but never to this area. Museums and historical sites are not as important as beautiful views. I've heard Capri is a nice area as well as Ravello. I thought there were some areas where Buffalo Mozzarella was produced. If it is not, I'm not sure if I want to go to Naples or not.

If you were docking in Sorrento with a best friend who has never been to Italy...what would you want to see if you thought they may not be back? That may help me decide. I am not wanting to go to Pompei even though I know it is a neat place. I know I want to go for a drive (not me driving but having a driver drive us) and I want to go to a neat ecclectic town with shops and good restaurants--with a view would be the best.

I've heard so much about the almafi coast, capri, naples and ravello but never been so don't know what's the neatest to see.

Your opinions please...

Since you've eliminated Pompei, one option that hits at least a couple of your goals would be to go out to Capri in the morning, followed by an afternoon with a driver on the Amalfi coast, including a stop at Ravello.

My thinking on this is that you could be on a 7:45 ferry from Sorrento to Capri and spend a good three hours there before taking the ferry back to Sorrento to meet your driver. That would allow about five hours on the coast, which is plenty of time to drive down, enjoy lunch somewhere, and get back in time for your departure.

You could reverse the day, and see the coast first, but you may be more comfortable to be with a driver who is responsible for getting you to the ship on time rather than coming back from Capri on your own.

While on Capri, your nieces (and you as well) might enjoy the chair lift from Ana Capri to the top of the mountain and back.

We are hiring a private driver from the dock in Salerno, drive through Positano to Sorrento to catch the ferry. Spend some time in Capri, then back to Sorrento and reverse drive back to Salerno to the ship. Anyone think this is doable in 12 hours. I originally thought we were docking in Naples, but am pleased it is actually Salerno because the drive appears to be shorter.

Sorry to hijack your thread...hope you find a solution to your travel question. So much to see...so little time...

Happy planning....Joanne

Joanne, I'm curious about why you are backtracking down the coast drive, and paying for a driver all day.

It would seem more efficient, not to mention a lot less expensive, to pay for the driver for a half day, then take the ferry from Capri directly to Salerno, rather than back to Sorrento and making the drive again.

Thanks for the tip, I did not know there was a ferry from Capri directly to Salerno--that would make so much more sense. See, this is why I post questions and continue to research...being unfamiliar with the area, you never know what will really work.

Happy cruising!

Archived