What to do on a budget?

bri79

Will be in Costa Maya in just over 2 weeks, and we were wondering what to plan considering we are on a really tight budget.

Definatly want to get to the beach, and have looked at several that seem really nice. Just wondering if there is a beach we could go to and just rent a mask and fins for a few dollars?

Also wanted to know if we could just sight-see and maybe shop a tiny bit (or visit a market) other than at the port?

Also dont mind a short taxi ride, but am not interested in any day trip far away, or sitting in a vehicule for too long. any suggestions?

Will be in Costa Maya in just over 2 weeks, and we were wondering what to plan considering we are on a really tight budget.

Definatly want to get to the beach, and have looked at several that seem really nice. Just wondering if there is a beach we could go to and just rent a mask and fins for a few dollars?

Also wanted to know if we could just sight-see and maybe shop a tiny bit (or visit a market) other than at the port?

Also dont mind a short taxi ride, but am not interested in any day trip far away, or sitting in a vehicule for too long. any suggestions?

I leave the port area take the bus to the downtown , Majahual, $4 pp its only a 5 minute ride there is a nice beach area cheap beer plenty of shopping , taxi back is like $3pp . Chairs are free to use as long as you buy something . Not sure about Mask and fin rental , but Im sure someone will have them at a ggod price everything down there is very reasonable.

Just replied to your post on Cayman as well... Are you on Solstice??

We were on Solstice last week and did not ship excursions -- to much $$.

We had a great day on Costa Maya although it was really laid back.. Planned to take a taxi to town, but never did. I found the port area very nice. It is made just for cruise ships, so it may not be authentic, but this was our stop just to relax. They have a great pool, with shops all around it. The pool has a swim up bar and over looks the ship. There is also a beach area with hammocks, another pool with a volleyball net. There are plenty of beach chairs and shade, etc. Reminded me of one of the cruise lines private islands. All this is free. We went in the pool and time flew by, and we never made it to town. Actually one of my favorite days of the cruise.....

The port area is secure and exclusively for cruise ship passengers. All of the buildings look new. So as I said, it is not real authentic, however, I think all of the shops and restaurants were local employees and owners - so the goods were local. No chains like margaritaville, but the two restaurants did have that beach theme like margaritaville. No loud music, however, very laid back. Our ship had 4 ports, 3 of which we went and did a lot. At Costa Maya we decided to relax - so stayed in the port area. If you do that you can also walk back to the ship for lunch and then return for more afternoon relaxation... that is what we did. Once you exit the secure port area, you can walk to another street (not the village - that requires a cab) which has a couple businesses. This street is odd - there is a Hard Rock Cafe, and that is about it. The rest is a combination of unfinished construction and hurricane damaged buildings. Inside the secure port area, it is very nice however. I would spend my day in the port area (which we did) or maybe half day there, and half day in the village or on the beach by the village (we did not go there).

I am attaching a couple of photos of port area.

100_3334small.jpg.744a165f3a88ef649fdeecfed40c6ef2.jpg

P6240203small.jpg.340db495ba7abd67ef0b86325677fcba.jpg

P6240196small.jpg.f0c190c3b1157a331f39ce7673fb0536.jpg

P6240165small.jpg.6c6e388d641be640c4ba43b6ee58dc1d.jpg

No, you really cannot swim in the ocean from the port area... There is a nice beach sandy area, but at the water itself it is rocky. See photo. If you want to swim in the ocean I think the beaches near the town town would be good.

100_3335small.jpg.15654d07f09a7642bc8c96edba924817.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived