Galveston Hotels and Elevated Parking

leennp

Ok, call me paranoid, but having lived in Louisiana for 15 years, I do know what hurricane season means. I am choosing to cruise during hurricane season, I know. Still worried that I will get on ship without storm, storm will develop while at sea, and car will be flooded when return. I have a question regarding which hotels with cruise parking that might have parking that is less likely to flood during storm surge. I know EZ cruise markets itself as highest parking, but all of their cars flooded during Ike. As did cars at port. Looking for recomendation of truly elevated (like multistory parking garage) or maybe hotel not near beach that might be less likely to flood. Will only spend one night there, don't need to be on the beach. If no hotels with elevated garages, any downtown parking garages or hospital lots you can park in and take taxi to port. Thanks for any suggestions. Cruising October 10th, so towards end of season, but had cruise out of galveston affected by hurricane Wilma in 2005, so it does happen in October.

I'm pretty sure the cars that didn't get flooded during Ike were the one's parked up at the hotels on the Seawall. EZ Cruise was flooded during Ike (althought it is elevated higher than the other lots) as well as the Port of Galveston and probably every other car parked down in The Strand and down by the Port. That entire area was submerged.

The parking garage at Hotel Galvez is elevated. I think it is 3 levels, with the 3rd being uncovered. You can also park there if you stay at the Tremont House and take the Galvez shuttle to the ship. You will need to sign up at the desk.

We stayed once at the Hilton, but you park on a ground level open lot behind the San Luis Resort if you leave your car there for the duration of the cruise.

There is also a raised garage at the port.

Most of the lots of the Seawall hotels shouldn't flood. The Seawall is the highest point on the island. The little bit of water that did breach the seawall during Ike didn't accumulate on the seawall...it flowed either back offshore, or down to lower points on the island. So while only a few hotels have elevated parking garages, they're all relatively safe. I say relatively because, although you probably won't have to worry about flooding, you'll be completely open to flying debris.

Archived