backpack contents

perlgirlnj

Here's a list of things I think we'll need to be carrying on a daily basis, both for our land trip and then for our cruise excursions:

• binoculars
  • camera (mine is small; my husband's is one of those monsters w. multiple lenses)
  • water bottle or a hydration pack built into backpack (Camelback)
  • snack bars or box lunch
  • clothing layers not currently on our bodies (e.g. waterproof layer or fleece layer if we're not wearing both)
  • umbrella (we have tiny ones, but still)
  • insect repellent and/or sunscreen
  • mini-first aid kit (bandaids, neosporin)
  • purel & charmin-to-go for hiking days
  • guidebook or notes or whatever that tells us where we're going and what we're doing that day

How on earth does this fit into a backpack or hydration pack (Camelback-type item; you hikers know what I'm talking about)? And how do you easily get to what you need in a reasonable period of time? And avoid a backstrain?

Great minds think alike! That's what I carry in my little day pack (plus seat protectors if I'm overseas). I find umbrellas to be cumbersome when I'm on the move so I pack a poncho and cap for protection from the rain. I also carry a tiny flashlight, small pkg trail mix, and a travel pkg of WetOnes instead of Purel.

Except for the umbrella, I carry all that and then some. It doesn't really add up to much. A few pockets on the outside of the pack make items easily accessible. Very rarely are the binoculars and camera in the pack for me. Binos around the neck, camera in a pocket.

Does anybody carry a Camelback-type pack or is it easier to use a regular backpack and carry water bottle(s)? We'll be doing some short hikes (1-2 hours apiece, I'd guess) during our week on land, but mostly excursions not hiking while in ports.

You can't take a box lunch off your ship.

I don't carry an umbrella. When you see how crowded the ports are, you will understand that umbrellas are a public hazard.

I have plastic Zip-Loc bags for protecting my camera gear and a large plastic bag that will hold the entire pack if the rain really is coming down.

I carry money and a credit card.

I have at least one cellphone. My tours info and maps are on my iPad. Whether she goes out with me on a particular day depends on what I'm planning to do.

tissues

Does anybody carry a Camelback-type pack or is it easier to use a regular backpack and carry water bottle(s)? We'll be doing some short hikes (1-2 hours apiece, I'd guess) during our week on land, but mostly excursions not hiking while in ports.

Personally, we find a water bottle more versatile for a cruise and short hikes. We wouldn't want the camelback filled with rum:D

I just recently came back and used a Rick Steves Veloce pack for our trip and it was amazing. The thing is light and has many pockets and held all of our items like your list with ease. I used it for my purse for the cruise/tours and it worked well. I got mine on sale on Amazon!

Nancy

a small dayback works well for me. There is a net sleeve on each side of my pack to hold a water bottle.

I forgot to mention that I also packed gloves and a small wool scarf when we walked to the glacier and took the Kenai Fjords cruise.

You can't take a box lunch off your ship.

Hence the comment "snack bars OR box lunch". The box lunch is for the land part of the trip or if we buy a lunch once we get off the ship. If we can't, that's what the snack bars are for.

How on earth does this fit into a backpack or hydration pack (Camelback-type item; you hikers know what I'm talking about)? And how do you easily get to what you need in a reasonable period of time? And avoid a backstrain?

Headnets

Sunglasses

Hat

Gum

Pack towel

Spare battery/memory card

Motrin

Extra socks

DH has a Camelback pack that is more like a small daypack that he uses for biking with the kids at school. He has decided not to use the bladder, but go with a water bottle. Draining/cleaning, etc. gave us the willy's for a long trip. He can carry almost all the essentials in it and it has lots of interior pockets and areas to organize stuff.

I have a 20L daypack with 2 main sections and dividers that will hold all you listed(except the umbrella), plus my camera equipment, Nikon, small video cam and monopod hiking staff; plus overflow from DH since he gets cold and I don't. I use a neoprene case for my big lens and put it in one of the waterbottle nets to balance the full waterbottle. I got straps that latch onto the front harness to hold either my camera or binoculars so that I don't have two neck hangers and don't have to stop and dig. I line the bottom with a heavy duty plastic shopping bag to protect everything and to use as a sitting/ground cloth as well as for umm shopping.

I have been walking around with mine mostly full testing it out when I travel and go to town. I figure it is cheaper than a gym membership and will be ready when we go. Make sure it is balanced and not shifty, use the hip strap and sternum strap to keep it secure.

Ohh, boy, time to start the real packing!!

Here's a list of things I think we'll need to be carrying on a daily basis, both for our land trip and then for our cruise excursions:

• binoculars
  • camera (mine is small; my husband's is one of those monsters w. multiple lenses)
  • water bottle or a hydration pack built into backpack (Camelback)
  • snack bars or box lunch
  • clothing layers not currently on our bodies (e.g. waterproof layer or fleece layer if we're not wearing both)
  • umbrella (we have tiny ones, but still)
  • insect repellent and/or sunscreen
  • mini-first aid kit (bandaids, neosporin)
  • purel & charmin-to-go for hiking days
  • guidebook or notes or whatever that tells us where we're going and what we're doing that day

nice list. totally forgot about the water bottles!:eek: need to remember to take off the bottles from my bike before our trip

Archived