Review- Veendam to Bermuda June 27, 2010

Elavie

Nice to see folks who've had time to post a review! We were on the same sailing, and I'm still simply trying to overcome jet-lag and piles of laundry.

So much of this trip is subjective. Music, food, entertainment, classes, etc. There are folks who say that they don't enjoy comedy. Personally, that was the only show I loved. My feelings about the rest of the entertainment is that it was repetitive. Yes, each show was a different "theme", but it was all about voices (two, in particular). I'd have preferred a little more variety. And the "cultured" comment...I trained as a classical pianist for years but was still shocked by the standing ovation. Sure, it was "classical" music, but it was basically the same show, once again. We were a group of 2 teens, 2 50-somethings, and 2 80-somethings and we ALL wanted more variety in the entertainment.

So I disagree with you saying that the shows are geared towards an older crowd

Music from the 50s and 60s could hardly be termed as for an "older crowd". Music from that era is HAL's basic demographic.

Now, music from the 40s, 30s, and 20s---that would definitely be an "older" group. (I miss it, too. :( it's my favorite.)

WoW Great review! We are a group of 5 with over 40 crusies between us all and your review was one of the best I have ever read. This is our first HAL cruise and after reading your review I am sure it will not be our last.

Happy Cruising

Nick

Wow, I let it slide before but since we are now quoting it like it is the wisdom of solomon, i just have to say that the OP's comment that people who didn't appreciate the Veendam's shows lack cultural knowledge is really uncalled for. Particularly since the OP makes two gaffes when referring to two cultural icons featured in the shows. I knew all of the songs featured and could tell you the name of the artists and probably a little tidbit about the artists background. I still didn't like the shows, although the singers were by far the most talented I have ever seen on a cruise ship. To each his own, I think.

So what is it: are things subjective? or is is that, if you don't like something that HAL offers, there must be something wrong with you, like you lack the basic human ability to appreciate music or lack cultural knowledge (mind you, let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard - where talking pop culture here, even the operatic selections were opera-lite.)

Overall, the OPs review was interesting to read (very detailed and overall positive) but I thought this statement was a heck of a lot more negative and mean spirited than even some of the statements you'd read on a review of someone bashing HAL.

While I might wish to disagree with the OP on his/her findings of various things on their cruise, I cannot blame them for stating what they felt was either good or bad.

EVERYTHING in life is subjective. On these boards HAL Lovers such as myself tend to jump down someone knocking anything that we might perceive as a negative. BT the OP was stating their views on everything to do with their cruise. I respect them for coming in and taking the time to tell us ALL that they felt.

How will we know what might be the slightest bit bad if we are not forewarned?

I say BRAVO to the OP and thank them for their review, good and bad.

Joanie

Thank you for all of the comments of the review. For the person who mistook my statement about enjoying the shows. In no way did I mean that anyone who disliked the shows was uncultured, but to truly get the shows some knowledge of some of the music was required, and a enjoyment of many types of music was required. Are you uncultured if you hated the shows? No. But to say they were aimed at older people is wrong as well. There were many teenagers and twenty year olds who enjoyed the shows every night. so no I do not agree the shows were aimed at an older demographic. And if I made a mistake on one of the names of the singers, forgive me I was typing this at 11:30 at night.

Again thank you for the comments, especially the positive, and yes it maybe be quoted from if any one so chooses.

I also thought your "cultured" comment was off base and offensive to those who expressed that they did not care for the shows. Like "Ralph", I continue to think that the shows are geared to an older audience. I attend Broadway shows frequently and was familiar with many of the songs sung. I just felt that the shows were very similar. (I may be wrong, but I believe the same Phantom song was sung at two different performances). We traveled with a group of 22. There were 4 in elementary school, 1 middle schooler, 2 high schoolers, ten 40 year olds and five 70 year olds and the only ones who thoroughly enjoyed the shows were the 70 year olds. To me, that is indication of the age group that the shows were geared to. In any respect, the singers had wonderful voices and I did not "hate" the shows, I've just seen better on other lines.

While I might wish to disagree with the OP on his/her findings of various things on their cruise, I cannot blame them for stating what they felt was either good or bad.

EVERYTHING in life is subjective. On these boards HAL Lovers such as myself tend to jump down someone knocking anything that we might perceive as a negative. BT the OP was stating their views on everything to do with their cruise. I respect them for coming in and taking the time to tell us ALL that they felt.

How will we know what might be the slightest bit bad if we are not forewarned?

I say BRAVO to the OP and thank them for their review, good and bad.

Joanie

Joanie,

I'm not sure what you mean by quoting my post in your post. I don't know if you intended

all of your response to be a response to me, or just the part about things being subjective, which I agree with. But if your entire response was directed at me, let me just say for the sake of being clear that I agree with you that the OP has every right to post her experiences about her cruise. I twice said her review was detailed and positive overall, and I only had a gripe with one point she made re: cultural knowledge. Which happens to be the point you are planning on quoting in future replies to potential new cruisers to HAL who ask about HAL age demographics, and by quoting it I assume you agree with it. You also have every right to post this viewpoint. I just disagree with the statement you quoted and and am not happy that this is a statement that new cruisers asking about HAL demographics on the this board will see in your prepared response. Of course, again, you have every right to requote it.

After reading your review, did you sail from Manhattan or Brooklyn? Also, did you have to pay to sit at the Retreat?

The Veendam sails to Bermuda from Manhattan. It's a beautiful ride down the Hudson, past the Statue of Liberty, and under the bridge.

On the Veendam (and the Rotterdam) the area called "The Retreat" is a totally public area. There's seats, a bar, pizza counter, bandstand, and movie screen.

Archived