Norway in a Nutshell vs. Songefjord in a Nutshell

We have gotten lots of help on the Norway in a Nutshell questions I have had. But know...the last one. Does anyone have any information or preference on doing the Norway or Songefjord in a Nutshell tours as a round trip from Bergen? I know that the Norway in a nutshell involves a 2 hour boat ride and the Songefjord involves a 5.5 hour boat ride. We will be taking the train from Oslo to Bergen a couple of days before doing whichever tour. What would each offer us that the other won't?

We have gotten lots of help on the Norway in a Nutshell questions I have had. But know...the last one. Does anyone have any information or preference on doing the Norway or Songefjord in a Nutshell tours as a round trip from Bergen? I know that the Norway in a nutshell involves a 2 hour boat ride and the Songefjord involves a 5.5 hour boat ride. We will be taking the train from Oslo to Bergen a couple of days before doing whichever tour. What would each offer us that the other won't?

The pros and cons...

Sognefjord:

Tour shape like a "0" so you have no point which you go double.

The boat tour is in a high-speed boat - no idea if you can stay outside.

Norway:

Tour shape like a "6" so you have a section you are going double.

You are going through UNESCO World Heritage Naeroyfjord.

Slow ship which allows you to go outside.

You are going through serpentine road around Stalheim.

I only did Norway in a Nutshell:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/08/bergen-norway-norway-in-nutshell.html

And I can only tell you reason why we did not want to go Sognefjord in a nutshell beside the technical fact: we had no chance to get 08.00 hrs on the boat as our cruise ship did not arrive so early.

Regards

HeinBloed

You are probably aware that the train from Oslo to Bergen goes through Myrdal which is the start of the beautiful journey down to Flam. Too bad that you cannot get off here, and continue down and to Bergen by boat or train. But luggage is, of course, your problem.

Since you are doing a lot of train travel and if you have the time, I would suggest taking the train from Bergen back to Myrdal and then the long boat trip along the Songefjord. That is our plan this summer.

However, we have an alternative motive, since my wife's ancestors came from the tip of that fjord and took the long boat trip to Bergen while emmigrating to the US back in the 1870s.

Too bad that you cannot get off here, and continue down and to Bergen by boat or train. But luggage is, of course, your problem.

The MOST NORMAL situation that many have their bags with them and it was no problem: neither on the trains, on the boats or in the bus...

2009Boudicca31210-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

You are probably aware that the train from Oslo to Bergen goes through Myrdal which is the start of the beautiful journey down to Flam. Too bad that you cannot get off here, and continue down and to Bergen by boat or train. But luggage is, of course, your problem.

Since you are doing a lot of train travel and if you have the time, I would suggest taking the train from Bergen back to Myrdal and then the long boat trip along the Songefjord. That is our plan this summer.

However, we have an alternative motive, since my wife's ancestors came from the tip of that fjord and took the long boat trip to Bergen while emmigrating to the US back in the 1870s.

I wish I could admit that I was aware of the train route, but ignorance begats honesty! We are going to be in Norway for about 4 full days prior to commencing a 10 day cruise out of Copenhagen, our FIRM plans are to fly into Oslo for a couple of full days first. we were then going to take the train from Oslo to Bergen for a couple of full days. Currently, we have 2 nights of hotels in Oslo confirmed (and paid for) and 2 nights in Bergen (the same). We have 2 plane tickets for Bergen to Copenhagen the day before out cruise, but those firm plans notwithstanding, we would listen to all suggetions. Your map is a fantastic visual Lair Bear. Is this essentailly the path of the Sognefjord in a Nutshell tour? I would love to see a similar map of the NIN and also the train from Oslo to Bergen. You guys have been a great help Heinbloed and Lair Bear!

I wish I could admit that I was aware of the train route, but ignorance begats honesty! We are going to be in Norway for about 4 full days prior to commencing a 10 day cruise out of Copenhagen, our FIRM plans are to fly into Oslo for a couple of full days first. we were then going to take the train from Oslo to Bergen for a couple of full days. . . . . Your map is a fantastic visual Lair Bear. Is this essentailly the path of the Sognefjord in a Nutshell tour?

Like Heinbloed said, if you don't mind handling your luggage when you get to Myrdal, you could take the train down to Flam, the boat to Gudvangen, bus to Vos and the train again to Bergen. You would then have done the Nutshell tour. The logistics are not that bad, but you would have to take a very early train out of Oslo to Myrdal.

Here is a web site for the train services. http://www.nsb.no/home/

We did the Norway on a Nutshell a couple of years ago after a weekend cruise from Amsterdam - Copenhagen - Oslo. We left the ship and checked into a hotel in Oslo and then flew to Bergan and spent the night. We then took the train, bus, ferry, train back to Oslo and spent the night before flying back to the US. Flight are very inexpensive within Norway and very quick. We loved the trip and took many pictures. We did meet some other Americans who were staying in Norway and we took some of the trip with them.

You will absolutely love the trip.

• 10 months later...

Hi - We really want to do the Norway in a Nutshell. We are arriving in Bergen, June 9 on the Eurodam at 8:00 A M. Train leaves @ 8:40 A M. Can we make that train? What are the chances of our missing a connection and not making it back before the ship leaves at mid-night? Are there any other options available? As I understand the tickets are non-refundable. The last train into Bergen requires a reservation so ticket would have to be purchased before that day. The fjord excursion from the ship is already waitlisted. You help is appreciated! -

Archived