Tampa Hotel

dkh

We have an early morning flight out of TPA and figured we would stay somewhere near the airport so that we can sleep until 4 AM. At first I was just looking for a decent price, but in my research of Tampa hotels, I have read so many horror stories (filhy carpets, wet beds, roaches, RATS!!) that I am getting scared to stay there at all.

1. Can anyone recommend a decent place that doesn't cost $300 a night? We don't really consider this night to be a part of our vacation--the airfare just fell that way. We will have a car so if we need to drive we can and will.

2. How confusing is the downtown Tampa area? We are from the Detroit area and driving downtown can be a trial. With an early morning flight, I don't want to chance getting lost.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Tampa's a very easy city to navigate. For a hotel, I would check to see how much I could get the Marriott located inside the airport for. You will find that Tampa's airport is very user friendly. ;) If you have time, try to check out International plaza for shopping & dinner. :)

As a side note, I don't know what type of hotels, or in what area you have been researching, but Tampa has not shortage of nice hotels.

Let me pose this question in a reverse scenario.

We are arriving late the night before a cruise.

Would you recommend staying at the TPA Marriott and taking a cab to the pier the next morning or taking a cab to a hotel near the pier and then on to the ship next day?

What hotel is near the port?

If you're flying in late, you will probably be tired. I would stay at the Marriott Airport & start your departure day fresh. The airport is only about 20 min. to the pier, depending on traffic. You would probably need transportation from a hotel near the pier also. There's not really any hotels I consider walkable with luggage. If you decide to stay closer to the pier you could take the trolley to the pier, but again not a great option with luggage. Personally, I would rather take the one 20 min. cab ride, than need transportation from the airport to the hotel, then on to the port the next morning. As a side note, there are some nice hotels close to the pier, if you do decide to go that route.

The Marriott in the Tpa terminal is very Popular and usually has a higher rate then the other tampa area hotels. I recommend the Tampa Airport Hilton located 2 miles from the airport and across the street from the Int'l Mall. The Hilton has a airport shuttle aswell as a very organized shuttle to the Port. The Hilton has a great heated pool and we seem to always find good rates on-line to keep the cost down.

Archived